Thread: sleeping pattern

BIG BOI

sleeping pattern

im having a problem that ive had for a long time but it is coming back worse now. i use to be able to go without sleeping a night and be fine then sleep the next night like i was ok. meaning 1 night sleep 1 night done 1 night sleep 1 night dont. i dont party or drink. i just stay up. i would take melatonin, ambien,ghb,warm milk,ect.(not all at the same time! lol ) and some would work but i would have to stay on it for me to sleep everynight. well it went away for a couple years but now its back. like tonight. its 4:55am and i dont think ill be going to bed tonight. last night i slept 5 hours. so its getting worse. im tired but i just cant fall asleep. i stay up all night watching tv or thinking or writing.

there is one thing that i thought of that might be the reason. before when i had this problem i was younger and didnt have a job or went to school and i would sleep for 12 sometimes 14 hours a night then wouldnt sleep for 48 hours and then sleep for 10-12 hours ect.. now i do have a fulltime job and fulltime school but i have had the month off from school so i have been sleeping in. could this be my problem? has anyone had this happen to them? maybe i should only get 7-8 hours of sleep a night so that this doesnt happen. because it hasnt happen to me for about 5 years.

any input would be great.
    thank you

i think it is because you've been sleeping in man. i have the same problem when i start sleeping in real late. i do fine when i have a schedule though, working plus lifting really puts me out. if you don't get better soon i'd go to the doctor though. i don't really know what else to tell you man.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member
    Honestly have never ever heard of such a weird problem in my life. I think as the person above me said your case can only be diagnosed and resolved by a doctor as I am afraid you are not going to get any person who can share the said problem with you as a sufferer and have any tips for you. I think you have already delayed this enough and before the condition can get any worse seek medical attention as soon as you can.
    Do the calcium tablets really help?

Ha why go to a doctor and deal with all that crap before trying some of the more obvious, conventional approaches?

(this is all coming from someone, myself, who has had insomnia their entire life on / off)

Getting the sleep to a normal pattern does wonders, especially waking up at the same time. If you have to choose going to bed at a certain time or waking up at a certain time, just stick to the wake up time and your body will eventually (should) get the hang of it and make you tired when you need to be.

Watching TV is a double edged sword here. Watching something interesting, or even remotely interesting, is enough to keep me up all night. If I turn off the TV, however, my mind races (which makes it harder to fall asleep than if I left the TV on). My solution to this, which has worked well for me for quite a while, is to watch a movie, then throw on some cartoons/TV show, and as I'm getting tired, try to turn my head and just listen. Then I turn the volume down til I can barely make out what's on the TV - just enough noise to keep my mind from getting into strong thought patterns, but not enough noise to keep my attention on the show. Then, after a little longer, when I feel a little more tired (still not facing the TV!) I turn on my white noise (fan) right next to my head. This makes it so that I cannot hear what's on the tv, but teh combination of fan + tv background noise pretty much stops my mind from racing, and I fall asleep (I do have to employ a timer to turn the tv off for me though, luckily enough for me my television is my PC, so that's pretty easy to do, although I imagine most TV's have shut off timers).

Oh and the other obvious stuff
    - don't have caffeinated / stimulant products anywhere past noon or early afternoon
    - always focus on getting up at a certain time, over time this will make you more tired at the time that's right for your body
    - using your bed for sleep only and not tv / reading is recommended, but for me I need to have the TV going to fall asleep, so I guess this is different for different people.

(I also attached a chart of some other methods)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

I say this in every thread dealing w. insomnia - I don't think anyone ever listens.... UNPLUG YOURSELF THREE HOURS PRIOR TO GOING TO BED - NO TV, NO COMPUTER, NO IPOD, NO PHONE, NO NOTHING! All the other suggestions given so far have been great too.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Combat Infantryman
    I like to go for a run and take a shower or maybe just sit in the tub and read a bit. Always puts me right out. Definitely "unplug" as Sensei says.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I say this in every thread dealing w. insomnia - I don't think anyone ever listens.... UNPLUG YOURSELF THREE HOURS PRIOR TO GOING TO BED - NO TV, NO COMPUTER, NO IPOD, NO PHONE, NO NOTHING! All the other suggestions given so far have been great too.
    Can I ask you why you bold that and make it seem like such a universal rule? I'm not doubting you have great reason, because you post great stuff, but I've had insomnia for ages and if I were in a log cabin (and was forced to do no plugs for hours before bed) I can tell you for a fact I wouldn't sleep. After a couple days of no sleep, I'd be exhausted enough to fall asleep. The next night, I wouldn't be able to sleep again - I'd basically just have keep having enough crappy nights to make me exhausted enouhg to have 1 good one, and that's no way to live. I know this is true, for me anyways, because this was the case when I first got insomnia, had no noise in my room, and eventually found my best friend, the fan!! (actually, I'm gonna start a new thread on that, white noise and sleep, because I don't want to derail his thread).

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    Can I ask you why you bold that and make it seem like such a universal rule? I'm not doubting you have great reason, because you post great stuff, but I've had insomnia for ages and if I were in a log cabin (and was forced to do no plugs for hours before bed) I can tell you for a fact I wouldn't sleep. After a couple days of no sleep, I'd be exhausted enough to fall asleep. The next night, I wouldn't be able to sleep again - I'd basically just have keep having enough crappy nights to make me exhausted enouhg to have 1 good one, and that's no way to live. I know this is true, for me anyways, because this was the case when I first got insomnia, had no noise in my room, and eventually found my best friend, the fan!! (actually, I'm gonna start a new thread on that, white noise and sleep, because I don't want to derail his thread).
    I put it in bold because I believe it. Obviously if you are a kid who's lived with tons of distraction his/her whole life, you will NOT be able to sleep without it initially... there will be a "withdrawal" period. Soon, you will get over it and you'll be sleeping more soundly than ever.

If you've had insomnia for ages, maybe you should try it...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Training
    Sensei, and the rest.. would the advice given work if you don't sleep well, or wake up throughout the night a lot?
    Starting over...

Quote Originally Posted by Al3X View Post
    Sensei, and the rest.. would the advice given work if you don't sleep well, or wake up throughout the night a lot?
    the majority of the advice here is for falling asleep, not staying asleep. Although if anyone (...sensei? ) can provide insight on staying asleep, that'd be good to add in. My fiance actually has lots of trouble staying asleep, not falling asleep. I'm the opposite - once I'm asleep I'm fine, it's falling asleep that's my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Al3X View Post
    I've had people tell me it does, so yes, I believe so.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I truly believe that most young people today lead such distracted and stimuli-laden lives, that unplugging can have a lot of benefits mentally and physically beyond just better sleep. I've taught many classes on basic meditation and most young people have a hard time clearing the mind for 30 seconds, let alone long enough to forget about their troubles and fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I've had people tell me it does, so yes, I believe so.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I truly believe that most young people today lead such distracted and stimuli-laden lives, that unplugging can have a lot of benefits mentally and physically beyond just better sleep. I've taught many classes on basic meditation and most young people have a hard time clearing the mind for 30 seconds, let alone long enough to forget about their troubles and fall asleep.
    You're not beating a dead horse, I think that sleep is a problem for many people and any advice is good! Also definitely agree about the difficulty of clearing the mind, I've been trying to mess with meditation lately and have tons of trouble just clearing my mind for brief moments, let alone 'real' meditation sessions.