Thread: Size and Strenght what do you think about these comments...

Size and Strenght what do you think about these comments...

1) "From my experience the relationship is about 4 to 1. Meaning for every 4 units of strenght gained there will be 1 unit of muscle. Ofcourse the scenario with the units is all hypothetical.

But after years of training with heavy weights and good form following the motto of "must lift heavy" and do all the basic movements i realized that my gains even with some "supplements" if you know what i mean , were nothing extrordinary. But me strenght was very decent.

Then there came a time where i threw that way of thinking out the window and i just got tired of trying to get strong and made a switch in the routine, and trained solely for the intense burn, and i mean intense, on some sets ding reps as high as 30, instead of the usuall 8-12. Basically doing whatever it took to get a mind blowing burn like i was going to tear the muscle. Needless to say lot's of pain in training. But the results were totally different from my previous routine. While my strenght decreased by about 20 to almost 40% on some lifts i blew up in size. Over the course of about 8 months i went from 240 to 275 and finally looked like a BB. BTW i am 6'2. My arms went from a pumped 17.5 to a full 20 inches, while being much weaker but still by no means weak.

That had conclusively proved to me that strenght and muscle size go hand in hand but in a very disproportionate manner, about 4 to 1. At least for me."

2) "hypertrophy and atrophy have almost nothing to do with strength."

3) "try the power to the people training that you were talking about in another post (not the bear) try it for a few months.
    you will get stronger with out gaining mass. some people even lose weight but still get stronger.

muscle size has nothing to do with strength.
    strength comes from the central nervious system and other systems in the body that contract muscles.

imagine your bicep is a crain.
    the cable is your muscle, and the engine is your CNS.

the cable you have is enough to hoist 25 cars.
    but the engine can only muster enough power to pull 5 cars.
    you dont need a better cable you need a stronger engine

thats the same as any muscle. i read somewhere that the average "all out" muscle contraction is only 10% of what the muscle is capable of."

I must say I totaly agree. for me strenght has nothing (nearly) to do with size. If you get bigger you'll perhaps be a little bit stronger ! But if you become stronger you won't necessarly become bigger. If you become stronger with a powerlifting or HIT training you size gains will be very slow ! And if you use high volume high frequency and moderate intensity you'll grow and be "quiet weak".

Basically : maximal weight + failure => strenght gains. maximal Pump + burn => size gains

what about you ?!

From personal experience:

I've always gotten a better pump from higher reps. within my program, but the strength does suffer.

I cycle reps counts every 6 weeks from:

5-7 (low)
    7-9 (med)
    9-12 (high)

I've never measured size before/after the high rep. cycle so I don't know if I've gotten larger or not, but I do know when its time to go low-rep/high-weight after the high rep. cycle I'm always noticable weaker for a couple of weeks into the heavy cycle.
    Best Regards,

It goes both ways. You can have a deficit on either side of the equation, ie, neural or muscular, that will inhibit full strength potential.

It usually goes that periods of training for hypertrophy cause a temporary fall-off in neural recruitment capability, but that this is easily reversed and does in fact improve overall in the long run.

Likewise, periods of maximal training don't normally do much for size.

Both elements are required, however. Training for one without the other isn't going to give you the best results.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

decease, RIP
    Yeah to my limited lifting experience I have concluded that a variation is needed. Most often I keep it in the low range, 4-8reps once in a while I do a high rep week 15-20 for all exercises. Works very well. My biggest problem is doing the same exercises for too long.

i kinda agree w/ that person. but i don't think hypertrophy and atrophy have nothing to do w/ strength. muscle size has a direct correlation w/ potential strength. its possible to reach a certain strenght, and cannot get stronger unless u grow. another porblem w/ not growing bigger (if u do it intentionally) is that ur just making the same muscle work harder, so it fatigues quicker, which may matter if ur an athlete.
    "Pumpin ain't easy"