The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lifting ideas?

lifting ideas?

alright, so i'm your typical 16-year old ectoderm bodytype. 5'10, 140 lbs, and i've been lifting all summer (about 2 months), doing a lift routine i was told would give me much better gains; arms on monday, legs and core on tuesday, back and traps on thursday, and chest on friday.

i seem to (slooowly) be getting bigger, and leaner, but everytime i step on a scale, it's always 135-140 lbs. this has been going on for the whole summer, and i've been slowly building up the courage to ask for help.

i'd bought a jar of creatine (to my displeasure), and protein powder yesterday, so i'm hoping that'll help a bit.

so, if anyone has any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong, PLEASE tell me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It all starts and ends with diet. POst diet.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

post diet? what's the post mean?

Quote Originally Posted by elgringo707 View Post

You're not eating enough.

Edit: Post as in type in your diet and click submit.
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 07-23-2007 at 08:21 PM.

oh, alright. up until a couple of weeks ago, i ate fast food alot (fried chicken, hamburgers...), along with alot of subway, which i thought was good.
    but then i got wise and started eating either peanut butter or tuna fish sandwiches at home, or subway.

it's always been 3 meals a day, with an occasional donut in the morning.

Your routine isn't really appropriate, either. You don't need a bodypart split.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

oh, alright. up until a couple of weeks ago, i ate fast food alot (fried chicken, hamburgers...), along with alot of subway, which i thought was good.
    but then i got wise and started eating either peanut butter or tuna fish sandwiches at home, or subway.

it's always been 3 meals a day, with an occasional donut in the morning.
    3 meals a day isn't going to cut it unless you're eating some pretty big meals. Honestly, if you weren't gaining weight by eating a ton of fried chicken and hamburgers plus subway, you're not going to be gaining weight eating a little tuna. You don't put on muscle by eating good food, you put on muscle by eating a lot of good food. Cleaning up your diet can be the first step, but you need to increase your calories to gain weight. You're probably eating less calories now than you were before, even though they're cleaner calories. Try eating 5 or 6 times a day and start totaling up how many calories you're eating a day and post that.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

big bob
    how many times can you work out. trying to get bigger,

Banned
    [QUOTE=everytime i step on a scale, it's always 135-140 lbs. this has been going on for the whole summer, and i've been slowly building up the courage to ask for help.

[/QUOTE]

Whole milk, steaks, pasta, rice, potatos, whole wheat bread, natty peanut butter, 10 hours of sleep every night, and Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, and Overhead Preses.

ElGringo, you sound like ME between the ages of 18 and 27. The problem was exactly what the others alluded to: NOT EATING ENOUGH.

Go to www.fitday.com Set up an account. Track your calories for a few days. You'll find that you probably aren't getting enough in to gain any appreciable weight. The key to gaining weight is eating calorie dense foods and eating them constantly throughout the day. Figure out a way to make it happen. Make it happen EVERY DAY. It does no good if you are not consistent. Drop any excess cardio, too, if you have to.

Learn how to eat properly and the results will follow as long as you are following a reasonable training program.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

indomitable will.
    alright, so i'm your typical 16-year old ectoderm bodytype. 5'10, 140 lbs, and i've been lifting all summer (about 2 months), doing a lift routine i was told would give me much better gains; arms on monday, legs and core on tuesday, back and traps on thursday, and chest on friday.

i seem to (slooowly) be getting bigger, and leaner, but everytime i step on a scale, it's always 135-140 lbs. this has been going on for the whole summer, and i've been slowly building up the courage to ask for help.

i'd bought a jar of creatine (to my displeasure), and protein powder yesterday, so i'm hoping that'll help a bit.

Like everyone else said, you must eat more. I also started lifting at 16, and I was the same height as you (5'10) but I actually weighed 20lbs less than you do (120lbs, seriously).

The key is eating more. The world's greatest workout won't mean dick if you aren't eating enough to support weight gain. It's the key for guys like us, and really anyone trying to gain weight.

Here's the specifics of what you need to do. I wrote most of it in response to someone else who asked the same thing you did:

Track your calorie intake. You need to eat a diet that is about 500 calories above your maintenance level (which would basically be an amount that causes you to gain 1 pound per week). You need to do this consistently, as in every single day.

Divide those calories up over the course of 5-8 smaller meals per day rather than 1-3 bigger ones.

Eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you weigh 140lbs, eat 140 grams of protein each day. Get this protein from chicken breast, turkey breast, fish (any kind), lean meats, eggs/egg whites and, if needed, a protein supplement.

Get 25-30% of your total calorie intake from fats such as nuts (any kind), 100% natural peanut butter, fish, fish oil, flax seed oil, olive oil, canola oil.

Get the rest of your calorie intake from mostly complex carbs like brown rice, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, beans, vegetables, fruits.

People will tell you to "eat everything in sight" or "eat like a horse" or "stop posting and start eating." While just eating more is what will cause weight gain, the specifics I mentioned above will ensure that most of that weight gain is muscle rather than fat.

Combine this type of diet with a workout comprised mostly of big compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, pull ups, dips, overhead press, etc.) and work your ass off to make some form of progress on each exercise (5 more pounds, 1 more rep, whatever) as often as possible while still keeping your form perfect.

It took me years of wasted time to finally learn all of the above and start putting it to use. Here's your chance to not be like me.

i appreciate it, really. it's much more comforting to get advice from someone who's been through the same.

ok, so here's my new diet:

145 grams of protein daily (75% fish, 25% beef)
    3500 calories total; 1050 from clean fats, 2450 from complex carbs.

i'll get to work on my new lifting routine as fast as i can. but one thing i need to know is, do i need to isolate my arms to get a decent bicep/tricep workout? or is there a compound excersise for that?
    5'11
    140 lbs.

benchpress- 215
    squat-225

online jounal-http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1751050#post1751050

Yikes. Eat more =)
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Outshine View Post
    Divide those calories up over the course of 5-8 smaller meals per day rather than 1-3 bigger ones.
    What is your reasoning for this?

alright. i'm still kind of iffy about doing the compound excersises. from what i've read about ectoderms, they need to isolate as much as possible.

don't get me wrong. i do compound excersises. my entire leg routine revolves around full squats, my back routine on deadlift and pullups, and my chest routine on bench.

and i'm getting close to changing it up. i just don't want it to be completely compound.
    5'11
    140 lbs.

benchpress- 215
    squat-225

online jounal-http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1751050#post1751050

You might like my split. I tack on a little direct bicep and tricep work with leg days.

Psssst it's "ectoMORPH", and it just means you need to eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    What is your reasoning for this?
    I thought it was considered elementary to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    You might like my split. I tack on a little direct bicep and tricep work with leg days.

Psssst it's "ectoMORPH", and it just means you need to eat more.

i've actually been thinking about doing that. i feel a little uncomfortable having only my arms sore.

but then i'll only be lifting 3 times a week. which i also feel uncomfortable doing.
    5'11
    140 lbs.

benchpress- 215
    squat-225

Quote Originally Posted by Shouji View Post
    I thought it was considered elementary to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3.

Why would it matter? Outside of bulking, where it's more comfortable than stuffing your face with three huge-ass meals, it doesn't matter if you eat once or 20 times in a day. Ultimately, it's just the calories.

i've actually been thinking about doing that. i feel a little uncomfortable having only my arms sore.

but then i'll only be lifting 3 times a week. which i also feel uncomfortable doing.
    My split is published up here. Baby Got Back.

Four days.

You might like it.

And soreness doesn't indicate growth - getting bigger does. Eat lots, gain weight, lift heavy. You'll see your muscles grow.

haha i'm going to feel a little wierd doing a routine called 'baby got back', but i'll go for it.

and i just like the feeling of being sore. football does that to a person.
    5'11
    140 lbs.

benchpress- 215
    squat-225

yes ma'am, i did. you really know your stuff.

i like the way you put chest and back together. aaaand i think i just fell in love with this workout.

is this a mass building routine or just for fitness?
    5'11
    140 lbs.

benchpress- 215
    squat-225

It's mass building IF YOU OVEREAT!

The way it's set up, if you do the optional 3x12 stuff AND OVEREAT, you should see some very good gains.

If you do it with just the 5x5 and the 3x8 (dropping it down to 3x5 and 2-3x8) and ditch the direct arm work, and UNDEREAT, well, that's how I fly for most of my cut.

Track your food daily. If you don't gain, add another 500 calories to your day and see what happens.

Enjoy your bulk!