Thread: Decline Situps?

The New Guy

Decline Situps?

Hi all, I've trying to add weighted decline situps to my routine, but I always end up using my quads too much, does anyone know of a way to focus more on the stomach? or am I just using to much weight?

try pressing your calve/ankles toward you on the padding when sitting up. first try without weight then use discretion

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Don't do stomach exercises that involve your feet been locked in. Once your feet are locked in its your legs that are doing the work

Training
    Decline's are horrible. Your legs or your lower back is used. Select a new exercise
    Starting over...

I use more of a crunchie style instead of pulling myself all the way up. It works OK.
    5'6", 145 lbs.

The New Guy
    Thanks for the help guys, good to know it wasn't just me. hah.

a lot of people I've talked to really like rope crunches...I don't ever really do abs, but if I did this would be something to try

http://www.ast-ss.com/training/exerc...asp?bp=Ab&pn=9

you also might want to look into floor wipers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcNGCG2L0OA
    Last edited by KingWilder; 08-03-2007 at 10:07 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

The golds I go to has a decline that has you almost upside down and it hits the abs like mad. Yes you are using more than just abs but it works the core really well. I like em.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Usedtobebig Member
    If you keep your legs straight you will be using your hip flexors as well as you abs. Keep your legs bent to avoid this.
    However if your legs are bent and you start using heavy weights then your hamstrings and calves will be used to try to prevent you sliding down the slope. So better not to use too steep an angle.
    I have used decline sit ups at about 30degrees, sitting up until my elbows touch my legs, with weight discs held high on my chest, but when I got to sets with with 50kg I started to feel the effects of my leg sessions so started to use a an abdominal machine instead. No more problems with legs.
    Train with your brain not your heart

declines hit my abs hard as hell, just grab a dumbell and flex your abs during the movement. try twisting on the wat up too
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-04-2007 at 10:34 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Most ab exercises involving an isometric contraction are going to use the hip flexors too - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that...

Ab exercises that involve spinal flexion (crunches and variations) generally won't engage the hip flexors as much.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I've been thinking about trying floor wipers have I've never really tried anything for abs that I enjoyed. However, what happens when it becomes easy? You just do more reps? Seems like it would only be worthwhile for a while, since as far as I can tell, there's no way to add any more resistance.

Wannabebig Member
    Its always full of old ladies at my gym, but pilates is great. Those old ladies are tough too, wore me out in the beginning.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew View Post
    I've been thinking about trying floor wipers have I've never really tried anything for abs that I enjoyed. However, what happens when it becomes easy? You just do more reps? Seems like it would only be worthwhile for a while, since as far as I can tell, there's no way to add any more resistance.
    I do these at home, you just keep doing more reps, if you have done these you will definatly feel more of a burn then if you had done crunches, do like 5 sets of 15 and you'll feel it and can work your way up to doing sets of 50