The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Bench Grip Progression

I was thinking about different styles of training and I was wondering what your opinion on this idea was.

Lets say that with your competition grip bench you could hit 405 and 350x6 and with a closegrip you could hit 370 and 320x6. Now lets say that it takes you around 3 weeks to get used to a new bench grip and form.

Alot of people do westside so Il use it as as a example.

Lets say on your DE bench day you worked up to 5reps with your 6 rep max bench for assistance work and every 3 weeks you moved your grip in by 2 fingers. So in 6-12 weeks you have moved your competition bench numbers to your close grip-medium close bench numbers. And even if you didnt get all 5 reps close grip you no doubt would have put weight on your close grip bench.

I have never seen anyone talk about anything like this.

Yeah there are some lifters who would benefit most just from benching close grip. But for someone who has hit a close grip plateau or just has a realy ****y close grip comapred to thier competition bench.... me...

Thoughts?
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I believe thats sort of how westside is ment to do some of its DE bench isn't it? index finger on ring, middle finger on ring, then pinky on or inside of ring. And do like 2 or 3 sets like each, either way its sounds like a good way to mix things up.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I believe thats sort of how westside is ment to do some of its DE bench isn't it? index finger on ring, middle finger on ring, then pinky on or inside of ring. And do like 2 or 3 sets like each, either way its sounds like a good way to mix things up.
    No I mean you start out with your competition drip lets say 32" apart and every three weeks you move your hands in 2" until you are useing a close grip with the same weight.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I know, i'm just saying they do something like that with grips, but what you said sounds interesting as well
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Banned
    i change my grip every so often, moving it out as i get a mechanical advantage
    also do allot of closegrip to strengthen the tris.

3 weeks seems like a long time to keep the same grip... I think anyone could make decent progress in 3 weeks without doing what you described. For people that plateau... taking some time off, followed by some JMs/weighted dips and arnolds/military might get you over the hump.

That said, what you're describing is unconventional, which is why you haven't heard of it before. I've seen similar things work for people I know, though I don't think it would work for me.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    3 weeks seems like a long time to keep the same grip... I think anyone could make decent progress in 3 weeks without doing what you described. For people that plateau... taking some time off, followed by some JMs/weighted dips and arnolds/military might get you over the hump.

That said, what you're describing is unconventional, which is why you haven't heard of it before. I've seen similar things work for people I know, though I don't think it would work for me.
    I said 3 weeks because I have read a few places it takes 2-3 weeks to get used to a new bench grip or form. It could be 1-2 weeks but Im assumeing people bench a little less when they move thier grip in 2 fingers and 2 workouts might not be enough to get thier numbers back up to normal.

Yeah takeing time off with some solid shoulder and tricep excercises would probably get your bench up but that could be done on the ME day. And the idea Im talking about could be done on the DE day just as a different assistance excercise. Think about it, in theory you could take your comp grip numbers to your close grip without takeing away from your regular westside program and you would get to do closegrip wich by its self is a good excercise.

You wouldnt go stale with it because you can change the grip every 2-3weeks. And your keeping it to 5 reps so it can still be considered a assistance excercise.

I suppose someone could just do closegrip bench for the same time period and get the same gain, I dont know.

Im personaly planning on doing this on my assistance day because my medium close grip touch and go bench is around 50lbs less than my pause bench. So I am the extreme example of a person who would do well with a program like this.

Il definatley post my results here or in a new thread if it does work.
    Last edited by Leeman; 08-06-2007 at 08:40 PM.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH