Thread: Looking to gain muscle and lose weight!

Looking to gain muscle and lose weight!

Alright here is some background info on me before I start babbling. I am 18 years old, 6'0 and weight 260lb.

I am looking to get down to around 220lb and yet still build muscle while I am losing weight. My friend suggested protein so I will be picking up some of that later today.

Here are a few questions I have:

1- What kind of workouts should I do and how often( I got access to a gym as well)

2- What sort of supplements should I buy and when to take them( before, after, etc.. workout)

3- What kind of food should I be eating( Can I get examples like Chicken Breast, Carrot, etc... I don't understand all the nutrition stuff well)

I know I am asking a lot, but, if someone would help me out, I would really appreciate it!

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Search. Read. Ask.
    Read STICKIES in all pertaining forums.
    Then ask your questions more specifically and I'm sure people here will be glad to assist.
    Happy lifting and good luck on your goals.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
    3- What kind of food should I be eating( Can I get examples like Chicken Breast, Carrot, etc... I don't understand all the nutrition stuff well)
    use the search button, it'll save you time.

If it doesn't run, fly, swim or isn't a green vegetable think twice before eating it.

track your foods. fitday.com is a start. diet is the part of training that can be the toughest to master.

yo yo yo
    There's a ton of free information available, and if you are serious about getting in shape, you should be willing to put in the time to do some research. Protein is a good supp to start with, but at your age and just starting out, you don't need much more than that. You should eat a lot of lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, lean beef, egg whites).

---><---
    Last edited by bdunndchi; 05-31-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Alright a few last questions. If I am going to vitamin world to get my protein, what kind should I get?( does it matter)

How often and with what should I be drinking that protein with?

Is running on the treadmill the best way to lose weight for me( including the diet of course)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
    Alright a few last questions. If I am going to vitamin world to get my protein, what kind should I get?( does it matter)

How often and with what should I be drinking that protein with?

Is running on the treadmill the best way to lose weight for me( including the diet of course)
    no running is not the best way to burn off fat. you night want to check out the crossfit.com web sight. its a pretty good balance of everything. and you will shred off weight fast. you can even mix it with bodybuilding workouts if you want to stick with those
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight:224 lbs
    Goal: make it to the world firefighter combat challenge

Quote Originally Posted by mmnotch View Post
    no running is not the best way to burn off fat. you night want to check out the crossfit.com web sight. its a pretty good balance of everything. and you will shred off weight fast. you can even mix it with bodybuilding workouts if you want to stick with those
    Alright thanks bro. So should I buy some protein then? When should I take it and how often? Before or after a workout?

Bump, if someone could answer that protein question for me

bump just one more time, I am curious whether to pick up that protein if im going to cut or not.

yep, protein is good. pick some up. if not at large nutrition's nitrean, i would recommend ON 100% whey in the strawberry
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 190

Louisville's NE YMCA

Set the mood right
    Protein per day is 1-1.5 g of protein per pound of your body weight, and the best time for protein is after you work out but other good times include when you wake/ before you go to bed.