Thread: Lower back pain when doing Incline Abs?

Lower back pain when doing Incline Abs?

I get this pain in my lower back when doing incline abs especially when i add a weight to my chest (nothing big 5kg). Also why is my first ab on my right side much bigger than the one of the left. I am using correct form so i dunno whats gwanin. any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Ramstein85 View Post
    I get this pain in my lower back when doing incline abs especially when i add a weight to my chest (nothing big 5kg). Also why is my first ab on my right side much bigger than the one of the left. I am using correct form so i dunno whats gwanin. any help would be appreciated
    I read numerous studies on fitness/bodybuilding articles that incline situps are bad for the lower back vertebre. I sold my Roman Chair because of it because it has to do with the torque produced at the pivot point. I can't really explain it but I got lower back pain from doing those so I got rid of it and now I just do weighted crunches or machine crunches and have 0 back pain.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

The problem most people have when doing sit-ups is that instead of stopping at the a point where there is still limited spinal flexion, they crank on their necks and spine to get a full range of motion - that last 30degrees or so really doesn't make a big difference in how much you are activating the abs, but it can definately do wonders on your lower back (in a negative way).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

btw, sit-ups are a great abdominal exercise, but it's an exercise for isometric contraction, not spinal flexion.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-06-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I recently switched from doing full-range situps with an arched back on a decline to doing more of a "crunch" with my back very rounded. I haven't done them that way in a long time, and my abs did all the work. When I was doing them with a straight (or arched) back, other muscles were doing the work. The crunch works my abs a lot better and is MUCH easier on the back.

What are incline situps? That doesn't sound very effective as a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    What are incline situps? That doesn't sound very effective as a workout.
    Recline situps maybe they are called ? ITs when you do situps on a reclined bench (bench going downwards diagonally)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramstein85 View Post
    Recline situps maybe they are called ? ITs when you do situps on a reclined bench (bench going downwards diagonally)
    Ah. I've heard of decline situps. I was picturing it the other way around (on an incline bench) I got it now.