The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lower back pain when doing Incline Abs?

I get this pain in my lower back when doing incline abs especially when i add a weight to my chest (nothing big 5kg). Also why is my first ab on my right side much bigger than the one of the left. I am using correct form so i dunno whats gwanin. any help would be appreciated

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramstein85 View Post
    I get this pain in my lower back when doing incline abs especially when i add a weight to my chest (nothing big 5kg). Also why is my first ab on my right side much bigger than the one of the left. I am using correct form so i dunno whats gwanin. any help would be appreciated
    I read numerous studies on fitness/bodybuilding articles that incline situps are bad for the lower back vertebre. I sold my Roman Chair because of it because it has to do with the torque produced at the pivot point. I can't really explain it but I got lower back pain from doing those so I got rid of it and now I just do weighted crunches or machine crunches and have 0 back pain.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

The problem most people have when doing sit-ups is that instead of stopping at the a point where there is still limited spinal flexion, they crank on their necks and spine to get a full range of motion - that last 30degrees or so really doesn't make a big difference in how much you are activating the abs, but it can definately do wonders on your lower back (in a negative way).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

btw, sit-ups are a great abdominal exercise, but it's an exercise for isometric contraction, not spinal flexion.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-06-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I recently switched from doing full-range situps with an arched back on a decline to doing more of a "crunch" with my back very rounded. I haven't done them that way in a long time, and my abs did all the work. When I was doing them with a straight (or arched) back, other muscles were doing the work. The crunch works my abs a lot better and is MUCH easier on the back.

What are incline situps? That doesn't sound very effective as a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    What are incline situps? That doesn't sound very effective as a workout.
    Recline situps maybe they are called ? ITs when you do situps on a reclined bench (bench going downwards diagonally)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramstein85 View Post
    Recline situps maybe they are called ? ITs when you do situps on a reclined bench (bench going downwards diagonally)
    Ah. I've heard of decline situps. I was picturing it the other way around (on an incline bench) I got it now.