The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My damn bench is stuck

For the past month or so I can't get a rep higher than I usually do with the weight that I use and it's really pissing me off. I can only get 8.5 reps with the same weight I've been using for three weeks, before I would be able to add a rep after every week. Would dumbbell benchpresses help get over this wall or should I just try a heavier weight that I can only get 5-6 reps out of?
    Last edited by berfles; 08-06-2007 at 02:12 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try a heavier weight for less reps.
    If that doesn't work, try pyramids.

I assume you're not eating to maintain?

No, I'm trying to bulk right now and eating around 4600 calories a day. I'll try throwing 10 more pounds on next week and seeing how many reps I can do and go from there.
    Last edited by berfles; 08-06-2007 at 02:12 PM.

As you add body weight it will go up, just be patient. Also, 4600 cals is a lot. Make sure you're not overeating in an attempt to see results faster than they actually come. You don't want to add too much fat when it can be avoided. I know this sounds silly, but keep a log of all your major lifts-ESPECIALLY if you use machines in your routine. It can be easy to forget what you did on bench last workout, or shoulders etc...By keeping a basic log you can be sure that you don't stay idle or use less weight/reps. Sometimes I uses a machine for seated over-head presses, and it's a lot easier to forget what weight you used the last time on a machine because weight is measured in increments like 1,2,3 instead of pounds-just something to think about.
    Last edited by HahnB; 08-06-2007 at 02:22 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    As you add body weight it will go up, just be patient. Also, 4600 cals is a lot. Make sure you're not overeating in an attempt to see results faster than they actually come. You don't want to add too much fat when it can be avoided.
    I was eating about 3600 before and slowly losing weight. I put on about 5-7lbs so far and I don't really look any different or fatter, so I may stick to 4600 or I may drop down a little more. Either way even eating this much I am gaining weight slowly.

EDIT: I keep track of all the weight I lift on the paper I wrote the routine on. When i get to a certain point and it becomes easier, I put a + next to the weight so I know next time to increase.
    Last edited by berfles; 08-06-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    For the past month or so I can't get a rep higher than I usually do with the weight that I use and it's really pissing me off. I can only get 8.5 reps with the same weight I've been using for three weeks, before I would be able to add a rep after every week. Would dumbbell benchpresses help get over this wall or should I just try a heavier weight that I can only get 5-6 reps out of?
    Dumbbells? Probably not the answer in this case. A heavier weight for 5-6 reps? Maybe. How much more? Try no more than 15 pounds for now. Find a good spotter. Read the other advice below.

No, I'm trying to bulk right now and eating around 4600 calories a day. I'll try throwing 10 more pounds on next week and seeing how many reps I can do and go from there.
    Congratulations! 4600 is serious stuff.

I was eating about 3600 before and slowly losing weight. I put on about 5-7lbs so far and I don't really look any different or fatter, so I may stick to 4600 or I may drop down a little more. Either way even eating this much I am gaining weight slowly....
    So, that is what metabolism is! LOL! Yep. Slow gain is what you want.

My best advice would be to find a spotter you know that uses a "finger" technique rather than the normal assistance. For safety reasons, use your normal weight that you're having trouble with and on the last or difficult repetitions, let them barely touch the underside of the bar to let YOU power through the plateau. This worked for me on different occassions. *

Why? It's the mental assurance of YOU finishing and pushing through to success. If YOU know YOU can do your 10 reps with limited or no assistance, YOU can mentally prepare yourself to succeed with your goal. YOU have to think that YOU are lifting the bar, and not the spotter. Yes, eventually the spotter goes away and so does your current dilemma of not being able to achieve your goal.

Are you really doing the reps yourself without assistance? No, not in this case. Does it work? It may, if implemented correctly.

One other thing, I don't really approve of is the "I can only get 8.5 reps with the same weight I've been using for three weeks" statement you made. That is simply not true. With a tone like this, you're setting yourself up to fail, even before going for the additional two repetitions. That may be reality, but your reality is what is currently holding you back. Defeat your reality.

Best,
    ADT

*DISCLAIMER: This can be dangerous if you haven't practiced this technique with your spotter. For any bench press PR I am attempting, my spotter knows where my usual range or point of failure is and can adjust accordingly. Practice this technique with your spotter and a 45lb bar first before they "finger" your lift to success.
    Last edited by ADT; 08-06-2007 at 04:00 PM.
    According to Purdue University and PubMed, I am classified as an individual who subjects himself to "chronic peanut ingestion and consumption".

"I love this forum. Where else can you ask about peanuts and get a response from someone with Mr. F'ing Peanut as his avatar!? Oh hells yes." - Rock Steady

"Man. I love it when Mr. Peanut posts in my journal. Perhaps because I feel we are kindred spirits with my serious peanut addiction." - Guido

"I love your posts. Brightens my day every time." - theJamAbides

My bench is stuck as well.

I assume I've been getting adequate nutrition and sleep, because I've been making consistent gains in all of my other lifts, especially deadlifts. My squats are coming along too. But I've been at the same weight and rep max for my bench press for the last couple months. Here are some rep/sets for the past 6 weeks...

Sunday, July 1st:
    Barbell Bench Press - 3, 3, 3, 3
    Dumbell Press - 8, 4

Sunday, July 8th:
    Barbell Bench Press - 4, 4, 4, 3
    Dumbell Press - 7, 6

Sunday, July 15th:
    Barbell Bench Press - 5, 5, 3, 3
    Dumbell Press - 7, 4, 4

Tuesday, July 24th:
    Barbell Bench Press - 5, 4, 4, 3

Friday, August 3rd:
    Barbell Bench Press - 4, 4, 4, 3
    Dumbell Press - 6, 5

Tuesday, August 7th:
    Barbell Bench Press - 6, 4, 3, 2
    Dumbell Press - 8

Today, I did 6 reps for my first set, so things looked good. But it went downhill fast from there. My end total was the same amount of reps as last week, which is still worse than 2 weeks ago. I can't break out of this weight.

I workout at home, and have no spotter, so I'm reluctant to just throw on another couple plates. I went to absolute failure today, and July 15th, trying to squeeze out another rep. It's an awful, frustrating feeling.

I'm not sure what to do, because I don't want to add a few hundred calories to my diet when I've been progressing at an even pace for my other lifts. I'm not trying to put on unnecessary fat just to increase my bench, but this is getting annoying.
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

If you've been training hard and heavy for a long period of time you may need to deload. My bench was stuck for 2 weeks - I deloaded and it moved again right away.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

Thanks for the suggestion. How much did you deload by, and how long did you stay there before moving back up?
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

2 weeks. Heh. I've been stuck for 4 months.

But I think I'm about to break free. I've recently been focusing my workouts on anterior delts and tris. My lift pauses midway, and I believe these muscle groups are the main actors during that part of the lift.

Previously I had taken a shoulder injury. So I had a lot of catch-up to do with my anterior delts. Now I'm almost caught up.

I think my bench will start to move again soon.

If not, I'll hit bench with chains one week and DE the next and we'll see if I can confuse the **** out of my cns.