The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    but not that small either

Shins in pain when doing cardio

Yes, I'm now cutting up for the summer (I REALLY hate it, but I also wanna look more ripped), but when I do speed walking on the treadmill, I get horrible pain in my shins. I hate the bike too, so I'll I do is the treadmill. Should I be concerned of this pain?
    Last edited by notSoBig Guy; 03-04-2002 at 07:47 PM.
    "Lord knows that one would be foolish not to listen to guys hiding behind a computer that use more gear than a stable of race-horses and all they have to show for it is a 195lb. piss-poor physique shriveled nuts and a nice case of gyno" - Lee Priest

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Depending on how bad the pain is, I would stop for awhile. I had pretty bad shin splints when I was in the Army and they kept on getting worse till I went on sick call and got a profile from running for about 1 month. If I were you I would force myself on the bike, or you could give up cardio altogether for awhile and just diet super strict, or you could just keep on doing and maybe it just go away.

Sometimes shin splints are caused by your calf muscles overpowering the muscles on the shins. This making them try to work harder and cramp up during workouts. Its sort of like when runners pull their hamstrings, more often then not its because the quad over-powers the hamstring and pulls it faster or harder than its use to. Try doing some exercises specifically for your shins. If you are just sitting around tap your feet alot. You can also lay weights on your toes and try to get your toes to touch your shinsn like the reverse of calf raises. I used to get them and this is probably the best way to get rid of the pain.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

PaddleSkiBikeClimbHikeLift Hunt's Avatar

Taps, Rest and NSAIDs

The best thing for shin splints when you get them is to rest your legs for a day or two and to take some ibuprofen or naproxen. I agree with Home that taps and weighted taps are the best training for the Tibialis anterior musculature associated with the shin splints (a stressing of the insertion of this muscle into the tibia).

Get better shoes.... My shoes suck and I get pains in my shins as well. Doctor tells me to get good shoes. If you have a "running" store in town, go there. Good stores will fit you with shoes to meet yoru needs then do a running analysis to see if your have any issues.

The one in Boulder, CO (where I live) does a video and laser analysis on a tread mill. They can see if you foot is runing in, where the bulk of the downward pressure is happening, where you need more cussion, etc...

They can also build custom inserts if neccessary.

Good shoes/inserts are not cheap, but from what I understand, it'll make all the difference in the world.

-Tom

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Good shoes are an absolute must if you'll be doing a lot of running...that is a lot of impact added up over time. Like the others said, you may want to do some exercises to strengthen the muscles in the front of your leg, increase the flexibility of your calves, and take an anti-inflammatory. Also, icing your shins right after a run helps...try a bag of frozen corn or peas on each shin while you put your feet up

Generally, maybe just ease into running...do some combination of walking and running to get your legs used to the pounding and also work in some non-impact cardio, like cycling or elliptical trainer to give your legs a break.

Good luck!

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost