The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    sports_freak589

how long will it take to put 30 ilbs of muscle on

how long do u guys think it will take to put 30 lbs od muscle on? right now im 14 and freshman 5'8'' and 140 lbs i want to put 30 lbs of mucsle on before next years football season....how long will it take...im lifting around 2 times a week 4 football we do dl squats clean and bench we sometimes do 5x5 at 75% or 10 at 60% 8 at 70% 6 at 80% and 6 at 80%.
    thz

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    VERY unlikely youll gain 30ibs before next years season. 2 Years maybe unless your a genetic superfreak
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

It'll differ depending on diet, routine, number of years you've been working out, your body, etc, etc.

For me, based on my gains over the last year, and based on my calculations for the future...

Assuming that I bulk / cut for six months each, so that my entire cycle is one year, and counting on lbm loss in cuts...

I've come to the conclusion that it will take me three years to add 30 lbs lbm (without turning into a fat slob)
    Last edited by Questor; 08-09-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Well considering you are only 14 I would think you have another growth spirt left. From my freshman year to my senior year i gained 65 lbs and my body fat % had to be @ like 10%. I did that with an avg to crappy diet and not really not knowing what I was doing. So it may depend on your genitics but I would say for your age 30lbs can come on fast. You get a solid diet in check and a solid routine and I say by the time you are 17-18 you may gain 60-80 lbs.

Get a gym member ship and start training more often.

How fast you gain muscle depends on four things,

Training
    Recovery
    how much you eat
    What you eat

You can use the same diet for the rest of your life and be a successful bodybuilder or powerlifter you just have to mannage how much you eat to set your goals.

training however isnt like that. Your body will get used to it and you have to change things.

Personaly the way I see it is if you go two workouts without makeing some kind of gain on every excercise something needs to be changed. It could be diet, reps, weight, excercise it dosent realy matter as long as it takes you back to makeing progress.

Being 140lbs I would say you can put on 30lbs in 20 weeks and 30lbs of muscle in around 40 weeks, but you have to be makeing sterious progress in all of your compound movements. Focus on getting stronger and eating more and the muscle will come.
    Last edited by Leeman; 08-09-2007 at 11:52 AM.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Yeah 14 is going to have some real advantages.

Heeey you sound like me when I started, just younger. Look at the link at the bottom of my sig. I gained 20 lbs in a few months when I started. It would have been very possible to gain 10 more had I tried harder and knew what I know now.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by sports_freak589 View Post
    how long do u guys think it will take to put 30 lbs od muscle on? right now im 14 and freshman 5'8'' and 140 lbs i want to put 30 lbs of mucsle on before next years football season....how long will it take...im lifting around 2 times a week 4 football we do dl squats clean and bench we sometimes do 5x5 at 75% or 10 at 60% 8 at 70% 6 at 80% and 6 at 80%.
    thz
    Highly unlikley by next football season unless you grow 4 inches. After football you probably need to lift more then 2 times a week if you want a majority of your weight gains to be muscle.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Quote Originally Posted by Leeman View Post
    Get a gym member ship and start training more often.

How fast you gain muscle depends on four things,

Training
    Recovery
    how much you eat
    What you eat

You can use the same diet for the rest of your life and be a successful bodybuilder or powerlifter you just have to mannage how much you eat to set your goals.

training however isnt like that. Your body will get used to it and you have to change things.

Personaly the way I see it is if you go two workouts without makeing some kind of gain on every excercise something needs to be changed. It could be diet, reps, weight, excercise it dosent realy matter as long as it takes you back to makeing progress.

Being 140lbs I would say you can put on 30lbs in 20 weeks and 30lbs of muscle in around 40 weeks, but you have to be makeing sterious progress in all of your compound movements. Focus on getting stronger and eating more and the muscle will come.
    He lifts with the team, twice a day. Practices 4 times a week. No need for a gym membership.

OP:
    30lbs probalby won't happen by next season, it could but it wont be all muscle. It seems like your coaches have a good idea on how to train athletes. Keep doing what they ask and eat like crazy. I wish I had at your age, I would be a lot further ahead of where I am now. Just keep lifting, keep playing football, eat everything in your house and you'll gain plenty of weight.

Fuzzy needs to chime in...
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

I agree with bics56, you could pack in on if you eat, sleep and train correctly. I went from 170 to 232 in one year while staying fairly lean, I have since cut down to 220ish and going back up. Eat eat eat!
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

It would take about 4 years of solid training and eating. Its not easy!

Quote Originally Posted by ToughStuff View Post
    It would take about 4 years of solid training and eating. Its not easy!
    This sounded way to serious....

Maybe something like [/sarcasm] at the end so people know what you mean.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Wannabebig Member
    your 14 im 16 when i was ur age i was 120 pounds and i wanted to be 180 pounds your still growing so that will put on weight and if u keep lifting you should be good when i turned 15 i went from 120 to 160 from still growing and lifting and im 16 right now and im currently 175. still havent reached my goal of 180

18 months would be my guess.

it really all comes down to what your genetics have in store for you, and how dedicated you are.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

People keep saying 14 is an advantage. That would totally depend on when you hit puberty. For some it would be an advantage, for others a huge disadvantage.

Not many people have put on 30lbs of muscle on in one year (i'm excluding puberty related growths here, which actually could happen to you). Most people here talking about having done it or doing it in less than a year have gained much more fat/water and undigested food than they either realize or are willing to admit to themselves. Yes it's possible, not likely though. But 30lbs of weight gain is very doable which is what most football coaches want out of their players. Visit the diet forum and learn how to eat.

Being semi-new to the game is your biggest advantage.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

If you do everything perfectly, a year. If you have only average eating habits and training is still perfect, 18 months. If both eating and training are average, probably 2 years. If diet and training are crappy or inconsistent, you might never put on another 30 lbs of muscle.

Those are all estimates based on my experiences, but it also depends a lot on genetics and how much effort you put into it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by sports_freak589 View Post
    thz
    honestly, givin the fact that your still growing into your body you could put this on VERY fast, im thinkin probably a little less than 2 years, just keep working it will come soon
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success