The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 104
  1. #51
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,405
    this has to be one of the funniest threads in a long time, im just reading this and laughing at all the post...


    once again i state


    if your man enough to pass a punch u better be man enough to take one
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    11,342
    LISTEN to what Connery is saying.

    He's not saying it's OK to hit a woman back if she hits you first. He's not saying it's OK to beat women in general. What he says, specifically, is this, in response to the question "What would merit [a slap]?":

    "If you have tried everything else (and women are pretty good at this) and they can't leave it alone. They want to have the last word and you give them the last word but they're not happy with the last word. They want to say it again and get into a really provocative situation. Then, I think it's absolutely right."

    Now the way I read that, he is saying that if you are arguing with a woman, and she's getting all worked up and is unsatisfied with "getting the last word" (i.e. 'winning the argument' or at least seeing you give up on the argument), and she wants to keep at it and escalate it into a more 'provocative situation' (which I assume to mean saying more spiteful/personal things) then it's ok to slap her to stop the escalation.

    I don't think that the issue here is whether or not it's OK to hit women. I think that the issue here is whether or not it's OK for a person to slap another person simply because they don't like what that person is saying.

    We're not talking about someone that is assaulting you physically (and neither is Sean). We're not talking about slapping a hysterical person in a crisis situation in order to get their attention and avoid disaster. This is about hitting someone because you don't like what they have to say.

    My take: If you need to resort to physical violence to deal with a purely verbal situation, you are not only in the wrong, but you are displaying a high degree of emotional immaturity and should seriously consider seeking some sort of therapy. Grown-ups don't need to hit people with whom they disagree. Seriously.

  3. #53
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    :withstupi

    All of you guys saying you'd gladly hit a woman if she deserved have never witnessed abuse.

    Edit:
    And if you have... Well, you're just as ****ed as your fathers.
    I never said "gladly". I don't think that term applies to anyone here. I also can't see myself striking a woman. But there are circumstances that warrant a smack. As simple as that.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  4. #54
    Yes, I ate the WHOLE thing RCASEYH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ (A.K.A. ... Paradise on the East Coast)
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    My take: If you need to resort to physical violence to deal with a purely verbal situation, you are not only in the wrong, but you are displaying a high degree of emotional immaturity and should seriously consider seeking some sort of therapy. Grown-ups don't need to hit people with whom they disagree. Seriously.
    DITTO!

    (With that being said ... that's not gonna keep me from playing our version of "Fight Club" with my 26 yr old sister.) :evillaugh

  5. #55
    Senior Member thoughtshewas18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    0
    give her a nice backhand. its priceless to see her expression after she sees the power of the man hand, lol
    i bleed oil

    "but seriously dude georgeous women reside everywhere, go look and ****" - BigCorey75

  6. #56
    Senior Member BilltheButcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,477
    From my bouncing days I've been scratched, punched, had my groin attacked, mostly from breaking up chick fights. They usually turn their anger on said peacemaker, but I never really considered retailiating. However, there was one time. This girl (who was pretty hot), was going around dumping candle wax on people, their clothes and coats. I told her she had to leave and she took a candle which was held in a glass thing and chucked it at me and hit me in the mouth and cut my lip. She sat there laughing histerically and pointing, calling me a dumba$$, muscle head idiot. I got her by the arm and started dragging her out, and she's screaming "Rape. Rape." We get to the door and she hauls off and punches me right in the throat. At that point, I said that it, she was pulling hard using all her weight to get away from my grip. So I let go and she falls to the ground, she starts screaming Rape. rape. again. I grab both her feet and drag her out of the bar, nice thingit was winter in upstate NY, so she got slop all over her. Anyways we get outside and she starts going balistic, kicking at me, screaming, go insane. The cops show and she flips 180. SHe starts crying, saying i was groping her and tried to rape her in the bathroom. Problem for her there was a bunch of witnesses and she got to go to jail for the night. THey wanted me to file assault charges, but I didn't. However, 4 of the girls at the bar filed charges for having her dump wax on them. Just a crazy b*tch.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

  7. #57
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    ALL women are crazy. It's just a matter of time before it comes out.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Jinkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    539
    I think that as long as a woman keeps the violence woman like she should never be struck or anything of the sort.


    If a woman were to come up and punch me (not slap) like a man in the face It would drastically change my opinion on what is appropriate to handle the situation.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    656
    I'll hit a women if she hit's me. Thats the only way. They can say anything they want to as long as the keep it verbal.

  10. #60
    GreenG mickyjune26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX (by Dallas)
    Posts
    1,514
    Even if a woman or man hit me in the face and knocked me onto the ground, I would still try my hardest not to hit them back. I would be afraid of what would happen. I just regret other times I've lost my temper. All it takes is one slip and you kill someone. Anger, tempers and rage are powerful, ridiculous things.

    On The Hills Have Eyes 2, one guy says, "It's really easy to kill someone. That's why it's so dangerous."

    There are many ways to de-escalate a situation.

    Use force with care.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

  11. #61
    Banned phreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    :withstupi

    All of you guys saying you'd gladly hit a woman if she deserved have never witnessed abuse.

    Edit:
    And if you have... Well, you're just as ****ed as your fathers.
    To make such an inane comparison, you must have been repeatedly hit on the head as a child. Hitting someone as a means of subjugating them, and repaying violence in kind are so unrelated it's not even funny. I pity the foo' who can't make that distinction.

  12. #62
    Too Hot To Be So Cold BBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Funkytown.
    Posts
    101
    You have to ask? That's messed up.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

  13. #63
    Superman sharkall2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States.
    Posts
    4,158
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    You have to ask? That's messed up.
    Why? What the discussion about now is if it's acceptable to hit a female. Do you think it's okay for a woman to hit a man? If so, why?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

  14. #64
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,633
    Why are there so many people against knocking a girl out? Didn't listen to the video so I have no clue what Connery was talking about, but so many people in this thread seem against hitting a girl in self defense.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  15. #65
    WBBs motivational Speaker Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Between a girls ties!
    Posts
    4,593
    Ive read this thread 2times now, thinking about all the answers and most of them are valid and good in my opinion.

    Butcher has the best story to prove his and the point of this thread.

    First of all, there are many many many women/girls who are larger and stronger then many many many men. 5,10-11 190lbs girls are not that uncommon.

    Second, a girl can be extremely agressive for no reason at all. If a man acts like that, he usually ends up locked up somewhere. In todays society, we go..oh she is a woman..its okay for her to be agressive..its just her emotions and she has been working hard latley.

    Ive seen girls hit guys with beerbottles and press charges against the male victim and win. Ive seen women flip out for nothing, totally crazy and still it has been considered perfectly normal.

    Second, why should we be such gentlemen when women sure as hell aint that toward us. Most of the girls that belong my generation, think about one thing, themselves. Its a myth that they are so compassionate.

    If I am standing in a line somwhere, sure as hell a girl will try to sneak by me and go ops..I didnt see you. Guys dont do that, they expect trouble if they do. Women can do stuff that "bad guys" do and still be considered normal.

    My conclusion is, when men stop slapping women, women go ape on men because they knowthere are absolutley no consequenses.

    The media presents the male as a sexist pig who is violent and stupid, and the female as a uniqe smart sensitive induvidual. Women grow up with this, men are bad, women are good.

    So they go crazy apeballs on us, because remember..men are to blame for everything..right?




    oh yeah and Brawl I love you hehe
    Last edited by Rock; 08-15-2007 at 06:36 AM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

  16. #66
    Superman sharkall2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States.
    Posts
    4,158
    Go Rock! There are a lot of out of control women. And they do get the benefit of the doubt in many cases. In some states if the woman beats the man and the man calls the cops the MAN will go to jail for being part of domestic violence. My cousin was actually in jail for that a few years back. Pretty sick crap.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

  17. #67
    Too Hot To Be So Cold BBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Funkytown.
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    Why? What the discussion about now is if it's acceptable to hit a female. Do you think it's okay for a woman to hit a man? If so, why?
    Hitting people (who are not being paid to fight professionally) is never OK. Man or woman, I don't care. There is no excuse for physically attacking another person. WRT the OP's question the answer is NO. Once you bring self defense into it, it becomes a whole different issue. Sean Connery was not talking about defending himself.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

  18. #68
    Too Hot To Be So Cold BBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Funkytown.
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Ive read this thread 2times now, thinking about all the answers and most of them are valid and good in my opinion.

    Butcher has the best story to prove his and the point of this thread.

    First of all, there are many many many women/girls who are larger and stronger then many many many men. 5,10-11 190lbs girls are not that uncommon.

    Second, a girl can be extremely agressive for no reason at all. If a man acts like that, he usually ends up locked up somewhere. In todays society, we go..oh she is a woman..its okay for her to be agressive..its just her emotions and she has been working hard latley.

    Ive seen girls hit guys with beerbottles and press charges against the male victim and win. Ive seen women flip out for nothing, totally crazy and still it has been considered perfectly normal.

    Second, why should we be such gentlemen when women sure as hell aint that toward us. Most of the girls that belong my generation, think about one thing, themselves. Its a myth that they are so compassionate.

    If I am standing in a line somwhere, sure as hell a girl will try to sneak by me and go ops..I didnt see you. Guys dont do that, they expect trouble if they do. Women can do stuff that "bad guys" do and still be considered normal.

    My conclusion is, when men stop slapping women, women go ape on men because they knowthere are absolutley KnoW consequenses.

    The media presents the male as a sexist pig who is violent and stupid, and the female as a uniqe smart sensitive induvidual. Women grow up with this, men are bad, women are good.

    So they go crazy apeballs on us, because remember..men are to blame for everything..right?




    oh yeah and Brawl I love you hehe
    Where are you finding these women?? You must be around some strange people, cause I know maybe one woman like that out of dozens and dozens of female friends. In my experience, women don't flip out unless they are being treated like **** - and certainly not for "no reason at all" as you claim. Am I saying that these women that you talk about don't exit at all? No. I know ONE. And she has, tragically, been abused by men so much her entire life that she has a borderline personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder as well. She flips out, seemingly unprovoked. Does she need to be slapped though? Hell no. Restrained - yes.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

  19. #69
    permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,777
    I can't ever see Connery the same way again. A woman should not be slapped to end an argument. That's two clicks from Risk's caveman world.

    As far as for self defense, I'm with BFGuitar, if a lethal weapon is involved, I will do whatever I can to ensure my safety, and it is impossible to speculate on such a situation. In the more likely of situations involving a woman attacking me physically (not actually likely at all) I have been trained in methods of restraint without causing harm, and it would take someone MUCH stronger than myself to be able to get out of or hurt me through a restraint. If the person was completely out of control, I would probably just put them in a basket hold, sit down and have someone call the police.
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

  20. #70
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    In my experience, women don't flip out unless they are being treated like **** - and certainly not for "no reason at all" as you claim.
    Then let me just say that you have very limited experience.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  21. #71
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    If I am standing in a line somwhere, sure as hell a girl will try to sneak by me and go ops..I didnt see you. Guys dont do that, they expect trouble if they do. Women can do stuff that "bad guys" do and still be considered normal.
    Hahaha, maybe they like you, and they're testing you to see what kind of man you are?

    I definitely wouldnt take that stuff. I'd either walk back in front of them or grab them and twirl them around and say "Nuh uh, that aint happenin, Missy."

  22. #72
    GreenG mickyjune26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX (by Dallas)
    Posts
    1,514
    As for the line thing...that's why I don't go to clubs or bars anymore. I had a hard time finding women who I could respect on an ongoing basis.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

  23. #73
    Superman sharkall2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States.
    Posts
    4,158
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Where are you finding these women?? You must be around some strange people, cause I know maybe one woman like that out of dozens and dozens of female friends. In my experience, women don't flip out unless they are being treated like **** - and certainly not for "no reason at all" as you claim. Am I saying that these women that you talk about don't exit at all? No. I know ONE. And she has, tragically, been abused by men so much her entire life that she has a borderline personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder as well. She flips out, seemingly unprovoked. Does she need to be slapped though? Hell no. Restrained - yes.
    Most guys I know don't flip out unprovoked. You ever been to a college party? The women are nuts. You look in the wrong direction and their "personality disorder" comes out. Women love using excuses to to make themselves look pretty and innocent. It's just like the soccer moms that always think it's everyone's fault, but not their own.

    Rock is correct, or at least to me he is. Nearly all action movies only show males killing people, and if a woman does it's out of self-defense. All aggressive sports are played by mean. Women have cook shows, and decorating ideas on TLC and other stations. In the media women are protected by just about everything. Men, on the other hand, are wide open to be discriminated against (and this isn't only white men, this is men of all races, and those of other races have it even harder than white men). It's our societal views that the man is supposed to be aggressive, strong, fierce and cunning. While the woman is supposed to be innocent, caring, emotional, and full of feeling.

    How many times have you watched the news and women have WRONGFULLY made accusations of rape and ruined a man's life. This happened with the Duke LaCrosse team. And it happens in other places too. Their's was just nationally known because of money. Women throw out these scandals all the time and they can get away with it. It happens at a local level, we have members discussing it and it's on the national level of news. I think you're looking blindly at the situation.

    Now, there are many reasonable and intelligent women. No doubt about that. However, there are many women that can easily abuse the system because of the way it's placed to protect women and children.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

  24. #74
    Lurk and Learn!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    72
    Okay, I can't take it anymore.

    Hahaha, maybe they like you, and they're testing you to see what kind of man you are?

    I definitely wouldnt take that stuff. I'd either walk back in front of them or grab them and twirl them around and say "Nuh uh, that aint happenin, Missy."
    Wouldn't it be easier and more of a statement as a man to simply say, "I'm actually in line, miss"? You simply walking back in front of a person that may not know they cut in front of you would escalate the situation and you grabbing, twirling and then telling them what is and what isn't going to happen would also escalate a situation.

    A real man or woman would at least attempt to verbally work through a situation before violence.

    How many times have you watched the news and women have WRONGFULLY made accusations of rape and ruined a man's life. This happened with the Duke Lacrosse team. And it happens in other places too. Their's was just nationally known because of money. Women throw out these scandals all the time and they can get away with it. It happens at a local level, we have members discussing it and it's on the national level of news. I think you're looking blindly at the situation.
    And how many MORE times have you watched the news to correctly hear of a man raping a woman? Rape wouldn't be an accusation that could be so easily tossed around if there were less barbarians committing the crime.

    I completely agree that falsely accusing someone of rape is wrong and should even be prosecuted. But, let's not "look blindly at the situation" and fail to realize that more often than not, when the accuser names even a mere acquaintance as their rapist, it automatically becomes an investigation into her background, life and actions prior to, during and immediately after the attack versus the facts of the case.

    That is why rape is so underreported and when it is, almost impossible to prosecute. Not because the attackers are innocent and falsely accused. More often than not, the victim becomes the criminal.

  25. #75
    Watchya talkn bout willis
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,028
    "i'd never hit a woman, but i'd slap the **** out of a hoe"
    -chris rock ????

    that being said if a girl kicks me in the nuts and starts punching me, i'm going to give her a slap to give her a reality check. if she keeps attacking i'll just give her a big hug and squeeze until she realized she's ******ed.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Similar Threads

  1. Muscle the wrong way part 2
    By Scorpion32 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 07:10 AM
  2. Building Muscle the wrong way?
    By Scorpion32 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 11:49 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 04:50 PM
  4. Kobe's accuser pictures were of the wrong person
    By Sinep in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 12:09 PM
  5. Am I doing something wrong?
    By I_want_pecs in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 12:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •