Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Disorders

Eating Disorders

What are your thoughts on the way that many of us on this board eat as being an eating disorder?

Obviously it is physically more healthy than more well known eating disorders, but mentally how healthy can it be to calculate everything you eat every day all based on the hormonal response you wish to ensue from that eating?

It would be much healthier to just eat what you what in at least a semi healthy style. Like not eat pizza and ice cream.

So, now you can rip me open trying to defend yourselves.

^ is a horny teenager.
    Ah we just wanta get really big, if it doesnt hurt than why not? stuff like anorexia should be considered bad, not body building, well probably live longer due to our diets....maybe

If eating anything and everything I want whenever I want counts as an eating disorder, I guess I'm terminal.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

How is spending extra time ensuring that your body is getting what it needs a disorder? I'd think quite the opposite wouldn't you?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I'd say it's like any other "habit"...as long as you are the one controlling it, it's all good. Once your habit starts controlling you, then you have issues...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

^ is a horny teenager.
    my habit controls me, body building has taken over my life!

See Zalxder I feel the same way as you. I want results and the best way to go about them is to calculate every little thing out. But I have found my self thinking about eating all the time. Like what I am going to eat and why. Everyday I have everything I will eat planned out. How is it healthy to think about food so much that it is always on my mind?

ElPietro- Just because your giving your body what it needs, does that mean don't possibly have a mental problem? There is a difference between eating healthy and eating the way most bodybuilders eat.

Leave this blank, right?
    Well, the only reason food is always on our mind is because we are really THINKING about the real goal--that we look good. We know subconsciously that if we don't keep up with out diet, we will fail with our diet and training, and thus, our bodies won't look the way we want them to be for the ULTIMATE goal of 'self-esteem' and/or 'approval from others'. Right?
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

^ is a horny teenager.
    i have a mental problem, i feel the same way aeckhardt, every day 60% of all my physical and mental energy is dedicated towards my diet, i think i am getting controlled, how does someone stop this nonsense?

PaddleSkiBikeClimbHikeLift Hunt's Avatar

Eating and Health

Making specific plans about one's diet should not be considered a disorder or an obsession; however, that said, it is interesting that lifespan in nearly all mammals examined is directly related to amount of calories ingested - i.e. animals that are on reduced calorie diets statistically live longer than animals that eat ad libitum. Likely this is the case with humans too - being overweight clearly predisposes people to all sorts of illnesses. If you like to plan your eating - go for it - I do the same.

^ is a horny teenager.
    lol he said ad libitum, i hate latin, you should be kicked in the shin

Re: Eating Disorders

Originally posted by aeckhardt
    What are your thoughts on the way that many of us on this board eat as being an eating disorder?

Obviously it is physically more healthy than more well known eating disorders, but mentally how healthy can it be to calculate everything you eat every day all based on the hormonal response you wish to ensue from that eating?

It would be much healthier to just eat what you what in at least a semi healthy style. Like not eat pizza and ice cream.

So, now you can rip me open trying to defend yourselves.
    This question has been bothering you, I assume, because of the lecture to which you referred in your journal, correct? Any personality trait/habit can be viewed as pathological when it really comes down to it. I see no reason that careful attention to diet should be considered 'bad'. Quite the opposite; in my opinion it is healthy, mindful living. If you find it detrimental, or that it decreases the quality of your life, then sure, stop paying such careful attention to what you eat. If missing a meal, or the thought of eating out causes severe mental distress, then yes, you most likely have a problem. Otherwise, just do whatever is most fulfilling, be it obliviousness or obsession.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Excellent B&I. Actually yes this has been bothering me a lot lately. Just the other night I was worried about eating at a friends house because he was serving spaghetti and I didn't want any carbs. By the end of the night, through other conversation my friend admitted to be that he was bulemic. This of course got me thinking about my own eating habits. Then today I went to talk to health services at my college about bulemia and found out even more about eating disorders. I just think personally it really isn't all that healthy to live the way i do. I find myself thinking about food all the time and it really has gotten in the way of other aspects of my life.

So I just thought I would throw this whole issue to you guys since I know many of you also track your diets this way.

pr3- I hear what you are saying and totally understand. But, at the same time is it mentally healthy? That is what I am asking. I know it is physically healthy and will get you results, but is it mentally healthy?

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I totally know where you are coming from. It's something you need to decide on. If it controls you, stop. Take a breather.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Yeah Gyno I rememeber reading your posts, those got me thinking too.

3:16
    can you define the word "disorders" please?

My eating disorder is that I do not get enough protein.

Big aneroxia is just as mentally damging as normal anerxia (both mental problems related to apperance -one will use laxatives while the other may use steroids etc.). But not as physically harmful.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

When I say disorders I am referring to anorexia, bulemia, etc. Not disorders where your body can not process certain nutrients,etc.

So basically I am talking about disordered that are caused mentally and caried out physically.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 03-05-2002 at 04:31 PM.

I did not mena it like that. (Not being able to digest nutrients)

I ment how do you tell the difference between some eating to gain some size and when and someone with big arexia?

when do you consider it becomes a disorder?

eg
    1) eating 6 meals a day - if you miss one guilt comes over? is that a disorders?
    2) counting the kclas of every meal, anaylising all the data?
    3) not any one else make food for you incase they upset the protein conent, spenidng all there money on food and supps. always eating meals at the right time, they sneak in a protein shake to mccdonalds when your friends having burgers?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Ok, first of all, there is no such thing as BIG Anorexia... Its name is Anorexia Nervosa. There is only one kind. The criteria for it are designated by the American Psychiatric Association and are thus....

1. Refusal to maintain the body weight over a minimal normal weigh for age and height. A weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected inlcuding the expected weight gain during the period of growth.

2. An intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.

3. A disturbance in the way one's body weight of shape is percieved.

4. Amenorrhea, or the absence of at least 3 consecutive menstrual cycles in normally menstruating females.

Individuals with Anorexia Nervosa may be of the bing-eating/purging type, engaging in binge eating or purging behavior, such as self-induced vomiting or misuse of laxatives, diuretics and enemas. The restricting type does not engage in such behavior.

Taken from: Nutrition for Health, Fitness & Sport Melvin Williams

This is what an eating disorder is characterized as. Note that there is only one kind, not stages. Granted, it may become worse as time progresses and one becomes more taken over by these fears. I know... I've been through it all. IceRgrrl is correct...
    Once your habit starts controlling you, then you have issues...

It did control me and thats why I had to be admitted to a hospital to overcome it. Aekhardt, if you think that you meet any of those criteria (with the exception of the last one b/c I think you're male) then the first thing I'd do is go see a Doc pronto! I hope this post has been somewhat helpful and informative to you's guys.
    Last edited by Spiderman; 03-05-2002 at 05:30 PM.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Originally posted by Spiderman
    Ok, first of all, there is no such thing as BIG Anorexia... Its name is Anorexia Nervosa. There is only one kind. T
    well whats the offical name for the opposite of aneroxia that has been coined big arexia? adonis complex? I am not sure what the official term is. But was trying to get a point across.

aneroxian will also get fine hairy arms as well, to try and preserve heat as lower metabolism.
    Its more common in good looking people as well, as they depend more on people perception as well. there are beileved to be numerous cause to it.

It can't be blamed on male percpetions of females as eating disorders(not soley aneroxia) are more common in lesibans than hetro women(not sure about gay men).
    when its blamed on mags as well. there is some where in south america that has the same incidnece per 1,000 cases of aneroxia as the UK. but they like their women fat. so when these feminist start blaming it on men and glamour mags. well there two arguments to use back at them.
    search on medline i did over two years ago, so don't ask for refence as I have lost them.

ANeroxia is equaly as common between ethnic gorups as well.

95% case of anerixia are females.
    It has been reported in girls as young as 6.

Body you are correct. I'm not sure how you spell it but it is something like bigorexia. Basically the mentality that you are never big enough or cut enough even though you are already freakin huge. And eating disorder are more common amoung gay men than straight men also. I'd know, I'm gay and my friend who is bulemic is also gay.

So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna start eating whatever I want and keep it at least relatively healthy. If I can't do these, I will go talk to a doc.

Of course this thread really isn't about me though, it is more about the whole idea of whether how bodybuilders eat should be classified as an eating disorder. I believe you guys came up with some good ideas. Expecially Icergrrl. IT is healthy as long as you control the habit and it does not control you.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I've heard/read it referred to as "muscle dysmorphia," a subset of body dysmorphia, which is a disorder where the person obsesses about a nonexistent physical trait to the point of it being a psychiatric condition. Here's a brief, non-technical description:

http://www.fitnesszone.com/features/...8/1030298.html

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Ever read the Merck manual?

Everything is a disorder.

Ignore all of them, unless they negatively impact your life.

Yeah I don't get what all the fret is about...why the hell do people need to classify crap all the time. If it makes you happy to consider it a disorder go ahead. If you are going to weight train, that's great...if you want to eat to maximize those gains that's fine...if not that's fine as well. If you are comfortable with how you eat, good, if not then change it. Some people here eat 8 billion servings of tuna per day, they obviously can deal with it, if you can't then don't. It's a simple solution to something you are making out of nothing. You are pretty much just wasting your time with this...if you feel your health is being compromised go talk to someone about it, if not...what's the fuss about?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer