The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Leave this blank, right?
    A, I understand what you mean. Sometimes I don't go out with friends or family because I HAVE to train, or everyday before work, I have to MAKE SURE I have enough meals to last me for the day. It's exhausting, and I often wonder myself, howmuch of this can I take. But it's dedication. AND more importantly, in the case of bodybuilding, and that's exactly what it is...because you are trying to build your body...in my opinion,it's fine. You are living a lifestyle to reach a goal. It gets irritating and completely controlling when you have to rearrange your life because of it, but that;s what it is, your are dedicated to reaching your goal and changing your lifestyle for it.

That's my two cents...
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

So pretty much if your not "normal" then you have some disorder. Sounds like psychologist are needing money.

Don't let it get too far. What starts as a healthy lifestyle may degenerate to the point where mental and/or physical health is affected. Keep good contacts with your friends and family, they can watch your back. If enough people voice a concern, it's time to take a long hard look at why they are worried, sometimes your own judgement may mislead you. Reality check every now and then and you'll be fine.

B&I...Roger Waters is awesome.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

damn body...i have never know you to spew so much half-truth, twisted logic and f*cked up extrapolation all in one shot before.

Originally posted by body

It can't be blamed on male percpetions of females as eating disorders(not soley aneroxia) are more common in lesibans than hetro women(not sure about gay men).

****eating disorders have less to do with body image, then they do something within the individual. the dysmorphia is more a symptom then a cause.

when its blamed on mags as well. there is some where in south america that has the same incidnece per 1,000 cases of aneroxia as the UK. but they like their women fat.

****you're talking about brazil. a country that does not in fact, "like their women fat". It's a country of hamster cage, running, plastic surgery-having, binge-purgers (men and women) that ahve taken things to an extreme. I have a good friend who is a recovering Anorexic who is from Brazil, and we collaborated on a project to get sane body image infot our in Portugee for Brazilian people to learn from.

so when these feminist start blaming it on men and glamour mags. well there two arguments to use back at them.

*****stfu unless you know exactly what your talking about. i'm offended now.

in any case......you have got the most bullsh*t reasons for why someone would have na ED ever body. As i said above.....the body image issues is a symptom of something deeper. A control streak and a perfectionist streak. If magazines and the media, (whom men, at least young men, take there cues for what's beautiful from as well) project an this image of a half-starved alien looking girl as perfect, then these perfectionist internalize that image, as the idea of perfection, and file that away for future reference. "In order to be perfect, i must have good grades, I must be skinny, and i must be popular."

it's hard to explain. and unless you've experienced it onw way or the other you can't really understand what i'm trying to say, so please don't speak like your an authority on the subject.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

ps....jane said it.

i think its a disorder when you do it out of fear for failure instead of will for success.

Thank you Tryska. I was getting slightly anoyed by all that.... If its one thing I can't stand is people spewing forth stuff they claim to know about, when they actually have no idea what they're talking of.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Reiner- I think that is also an excellent way of describing it.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I think Jane did put it well.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

you know aerkhardt...it's curious what you said about gay men having a high incidence of EDs as well. I know of some myself. Essentially though, gay men are under the same pressures as straight women to fit a certain male perception of beauty. like i said above though...that pressure is just a trigger for something deeper.

Yeah that pressure is just a trigger for something deeper. Like maybe their fear of nonacceptance due to their sexuality, etc. etc.

But, I think many straight men are also getting worse because the same ideological standards now imposed on women are now being imposed on men. All men must be ripped to the bone and ******* huge.

yeah...i thought that about the lesbian comment body made too.

but yeah.....guys either need to be heroin addict lean like a calvin klein commercial or ronnie friggin coleman it seems.

In my experience the lesbian community has actually been the most accepting of overweight women.

i was just thinking that myself....that whole "if there were no men, women would be fat and happy" thing.

now tryska, be honest, dont you too prefer a really ripped or muscular man?

it seems to me most people realise looks are overrated but still go by them just by nature and hormone reactions.

my dad has a very strange view on this he says people are attracted to whatever is considered attractive in their world.
    logic i guess but he takes it to a level of claiming that a man who was raised in a world where a pink fat greasy pig with a curled tail is the ultimate beauty hed spend his days banging them from behind.

*awaits "pubes dad fucks pigs" comments*

your dad is right. i mean there are certain genetic cues that are pre-wired, but for the most part, you're attracted ot whatever your culture says you are attracted too.

as for me, i prefer a strong man. mind, body, and soul. i'm not about to myself down to any more specific then that.

its strange how the ideal female shape has changed again and again over the ages while the male ideal has always remained huge and lean, with a masculine face with a clear bone structure.

for women there has been mighty fat (Ruben period) incredibly skinny (the Twiggy model period) overly huuyge breasts (pams big days) and now it seems small firm breasts are the trend...
    some cultures consider a huuyge behind as incredibly sexy, and
    a lean woman as being too poor and low to afford proper food.
    then theres the tan thing. for centuries people avoided the sun every time they could in order to remain as pale as possible under their white wigs. tans are for the farmers in the fields etc.
    now the darker the better it seems.

however the man remains unchanged.....

maybe its just for now, since the male body ideal being a strong thing is only relatively recent

Yeah he's right. For instance more voluptuous women used to be the most sought after. Think of all the things women used to do to make their buts appear larger, etc.etc.

that's cuz to us, you men will always be our hunter-gatherers. *bats her eyelashes*
    Last edited by Tryska; 03-06-2002 at 01:06 PM.

That's true though Tryska. Although women are no longer expected to be submissive, etc. men are now supposed to be the hunter/ provider and at the same time be caring,etc.

Here is a whole new thread coming.

actually the changes in a female physique ideal are highly dependent on the economic and culture climate of a particular period.

the voluptuous woman of rubens, then again at the turn of the century, again in the 50s and..well not now, coincide with an economy that was booming, and women could be nurturing, and motherly and curvy and all that.

the 1920's flappers, and the 1960's twiggy, and recently our little heroin addict look, coincide with times of feminist type changes....where women were coaxed towards more androgyny.

of course not an athletic ideal is becoming more appealing as the view of women is changing again.

i could go further into theory, to coincide with industrial revolution, but i'm gonna shut up now.

3:16
    Originally posted by Tryska
    damn body...i have never know you to spew so much half-truth, twisted logic and f*cked up extrapolation all in one shot before.

It can't be blamed on male percpetions of females as eating disorders(not soley aneroxia) are more common in lesibans than hetro women(not sure about gay men).

****eating disorders have less to do with body image, then they do something within the individual. the dysmorphia is more a symptom then a cause.

-------watch british debate shows? and read our magazines?NO. they have feminist going on about it, they say male newspaper men setting the standard for women to copy, they blame it on men! I have sat and watched programmes when these femenist blame it on men. they have a go at geri hallwelli, posh spice etc for being thin as well. with the paper saying they have eating disorders. Our press is more heartless than your is. a story is a story regardless of truth. ----------

when its blamed on mags as well. there is some where in south america that has the same incidnece per 1,000 cases of aneroxia as the UK. but they like their women fat.

****you're talking about brazil. a country that does not in fact, "like their women fat". It's a country of hamster cage, running, plastic surgery-having, binge-purgers (men and women) that ahve taken things to an extreme. I have a good friend who is a recovering Anorexic who is from Brazil, and we collaborated on a project to get sane body image infot our in Portugee for Brazilian people to learn from.

-------I am not talking about brazil. it might have been a polynesian country not south american. the actually country is irrelevant, the data that i saw was relavent that it can't be soley blamed(our gutter press agian) on male perception of women as you point out. -----

so when these feminist start blaming it on men and glamour mags. well there two arguments to use back at them.

*****stfu unless you know exactly what your talking about. i'm offended now.
    ----------this is how aneroxia is generally percieved in the UK, it might have a different perception in america to here. I do not claim to know how its percieved in america---------

in any case......you have got the most bullsh*t reasons for why someone would have na ED ever body. As i said above.....the body image issues is a symptom of something deeper.-------I did not mention one single cause of a ED except it can be a number of different factors. different people will get it for different reasons. So how can i give a bullsh*t reaosn when I did not say a reaosn?------- A control streak and a perfectionist streak. If magazines and the media, (whom men, at least young men, take there cues for what's beautiful from as well) project an this image of a half-starved alien looking girl as perfect, then these perfectionist internalize that image, as the idea of perfection, and file that away for future reference. "In order to be perfect, i must have good grades, I must be skinny, and i must be popular."

it's hard to explain. and unless you've experienced it onw way or the other you can't really understand what i'm trying to say, so please don't speak like your an authority on the subject.
    ------So why did i try steoids then? why did I eat when not hungry? why was I doing like 12+ hours exercise a week once? why do i still get upset If I miss a gym session? Can you please answer these for me. i have improved my knowledge now so realised this is not the best way to achieve my goals. But if i would get better results by doing 25 sets of squats I would do it. lookly that would be counter productive. though as pointed out earlier its how you classify yourself. Some will say its a disorder i have(not as bad as lots of people), i try to use my disorder/obsession(you can choose the name) to achieve my goals. I am not happy with my body appearance. I set myself goal, but when reach them I want more.
    i have know a couple of people with eating disorders. One girl came to me asking for help, so i did my best to help her so I read up on it and chatted to my nutrition lectures at the time who had quite a few students come to them for help, but they are aware that they are not the best for help as its easy to make a diet, its hard to get some one to stick to it, that more of a physcologist job than a normal doctor/nutritionalsit. Force feeding will cure the sypmtoms but not the cause as that as you point out is going to be more likely to be a underlying condition. I think she told me a cry for help. I am not authority on it, but then its aetiology is still misunderstood. --------
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Originally posted by Reinier
    its strange how the ideal female shape has changed again and again over the ages while the male ideal has always remained huge and lean, with a masculine face with a clear bone structure.
    ******it times of affluence men have found cute women more appealing. this is as they have resources to care for them. in times of depression when men have not got the resources to care for women, they choose women who look like they can take care of themselves. well thats a generalaztion, this has ment to been reflected in the box office top female draws of different eras. I am not a big film buff so I do not know how the 30's film stars differ in cuteness to the 80's film star when we where more in a boom peroid as opposed to depression******
    for women there has been mighty fat (Ruben period) incredibly skinny (the Twiggy model period) overly huuyge breasts (pams big days) and now it seems small firm breasts are the trend...
    some cultures consider a huuyge behind as incredibly sexy, and
    a lean woman as being too poor and low to afford proper food.***thousands of years ago when famines were more common, a fat women would live longer as more body stores of energy. this could be a underlying reason as you want a mate who can keep alive to help look after the children while the man hunted? no evidence to back it up**********
    then theres the tan thing. for centuries people avoided the sun every time they could in order to remain as pale as possible under their white wigs. tans are for the farmers in the fields etc.
    now the darker the better it seems.****i think coco chanel came back form holiday with a sun tan? I think she is credit with the tanned look. But this is likely to be more of a social standing reason than a survival reason? for larger women*****

however the man remains unchanged.....

maybe its just for now, since the male body ideal being a strong thing is only relatively recent
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

the tan was coco chanel.

as for your issues with always striving...that's part of the perfectionist/conmtrol/order thing i'm talking about. Body image is how you choose to manifest that. others choose washing their hands repeatedly, others need to have allt here clothes alphebetized. If you are sensitive to "not being in control" of your life, self whatever, it's quite easy to get swept up into an "obsession", where by any means necessary, even self-destructive you will do what's necessary to acheive your goals. If that fits you or anyone else here, then yes, i would consider that dysmorphic. If any part of what you consider your hobby causes you to feel guilty, for more than 5 minutes. then yes, you are dysmorphic.

as for the british press...the feminists they chose are dead wrong. there's more to it then "guys like skinny chicks".

i am probably am dismorphic, but the side effects of my dismorphia are the same as benefits of anearobic and aerobic exercise. which I see as a good thing.
    its better than not caring about my body image and sitting on my arse all day getting fat.

the british press know very little about science. these feminist will get air time as they make entertaining TV rather than telling the truth(I do enjoy wathicng debates on TV). TV get moeny from advertising(except BBC) so to get viewers figures you have to entertain people. thats why the university education programmes are on at 2:00am-6:00 am in the morning as thefact is boaring than fiction to 90% of people.

I hope you feel less offended now as I explained myself and point of view more clearly.