The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    well no, i didn't mean that way, you fookin fag. I mean i really thought in one of our incredibly deep discussions on this board, you were anti-homosexuality or something. i dunno. maybe i was just smoking crack.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Dikes smoke crack.

"also if you are excluding other people from your world cuz they "just don't understand" you have an issue"

i do that all the time. not necessarily about bb tho, but when i know somebody is critisizing me while he has no knowledge at all of what hes talking about i would simply ignore it

3:16
    you were probably smoking crack. but I try not to let political correctness get in my way of making comments.
    science never has been and should never be political correct.
    i do not think homosexuality is right thing to do in a evolution sense of things and its counter productive as its a inhibitng reproduction.

I have not got any homo friends( i only know a couple of homos and they act camp, which is not a trait I look for), (though statisically I should have, as i have more friends than the homo % makes up).
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

just what are homo % based on?

yesterday there were elections for town councils in holland, and a man who caused a riot last weel by attacking our tolerant immigration war and the strictness of our anti discrimination law, got the most votes of any party.

before this, most people hadn`t heard of him...

this surely shows average intellect well, and how much bullshit the combination of media hype and democracy can bring.
    the man didn`t even pose solutions he just summed up problems that we all knew existed, and took advantage of frustration ad inpatience.

the homo % is based on the fact that 1 in 10 people are ment to have had a homo experience. (this will include bi's and people doing it the once). the real % is not known as not everyone will admit to it. But in my life I have had over 100 friends. none of them are gay to my knowledge.

riener - was the immagrant post ment to be in the predujuce thread of yours? it seems a lit bit out of place here?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

*lmao@the phrase "homo %"*

i've had gay friends all my adult (from puberty) life. i don't give a sh*t who you sleep with.

mm i guess.
    the man is homosexual tho

"By Bryan Haycock, MS

When you think of eating disorders you may typically think of anorexia (Def: Refusal to eat anything until you are extremely thin and malnourished) or bulimia (Def: Eat all you want then go in the bathroom and make yourself throw up until you are thin and malnourished). Recently some Harvard docs have decided its time to define yet another eating disorder, a disorder specifically seen in one particular population, bodybuilders. You may have been aware that we bodybuilders have qualified on several criteria (DSM-IV) for eating disorders like anorexia or even bulimia. Certainly our preoccupation with food has led some researchers/therapists to think of us as having "issues" with food. Now they are sure we have a problem and want to help us by clearly defining it. They call this new type of eating disorder, "Eating Disorder, Bodybuilder-Type" or simply ED, BT.

According to the proposal by the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, ED, BT is characterized by "rigid adherence to a high-calorie, high-protein, low-fat diet that is consumed in the form of pre-prepared meals and supplements eaten at regularly scheduled intervals. Women with this disorder frequently refused to eat out at restaurants or at friends' houses because of their need to be certain that they were ingesting the precise amounts of calories, protein, fat and carbohydrates that they believed necessary to maintain their physique."

These Harvard docs said that individuals with this disorder are known to routinely prepare all of their meals for the day in advance, packaging precisely measured quantities of specific foods (lean chicken or fish with steamed vegetables) in small containers to be consumed at prescribed hours throughout the day. They go further to report that if their eating routine was disrupted, individuals with ED, BT typically experience "intense anxiety", and often engage in compensatory behaviors such as eating a protein bar to substitute for a missed meal.

Your probably thinking I made this up but I assure you, these people are dead serious about defining this new eating disorder. Here are the specific criteria used to identify an individual with ED, BT:

(1) Refusal to maintain body fat at a healthy level (defined in women as the level necessary for normal menstrual cycles to take place) accompanied by a desire to maximize muscle mass.

(2) Intense fear of gaining fat or losing muscle, even though body fat is below normal, as defined above, and degree of muscularity is far above average.

(3) Strict adherence to a rigid diet with at least 2 of the following features:

(a) At least 5 meals per day, consumed on a regular schedule, for example every 3 hours.

(b) Meals all consist of high-calorie, high-protein, low-fat foods or food supplements.

(c) A significant amount of time and money is spent acquiring, preparing and eating these specialized meals.

(4) Disturbance in the way in which one's body composition is experienced or undue influence of body appearance on self-evaluation.

(5) Social and occupational opportunities are frequently given up because they interfere with the composition or timing of meals. "

LMAO
    I mean... now we have a disorder when we dont get our asses fat and get heart conditions early in life?
    Who do the bloody nerds think they are and since when is anything the masses dont do a disorder?

its a fact that natural lifters and lifters who use AS mildly and intelligently live longer and healthier lives than those who dont. still we have a disorder?

Sure it takes some sacrifices, but arent we free to make those? dont people make sacrifices that wouldn`t seem logical to others all the time and they get to without people whining, or are even admired for them?

This makes me very angry, honestly. and im just a beginner. this doesn`t hit heart as much as it probably does it many others.

why is it that in any sport if you sacrifice to reach your goals you get encouraged but we get diagnosed with mental disorders?

whats next them shutting down hardcore gyms?

rehab centers where the jacked lean patients are made to eat junk food?

they need to keep their hands OFF this

bone crusher
    I love how the author adds MS (master of science) after his name like its supposed to lend credibility to him as a reasearcher
    That idiot Paul Cribb from EAS always signs his name after writings with several letters that are more or less meaningless...

at any rate, keep everything in perspective. That guy was commenting on a proposal for research. This does not mean that the research has been funded nor is taking place.

As far as the merits of the theory, I believe that in the extremes, dieting behavior as listed above, can be a type of OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). OCD is related to eating disorder. Its just that most eating disorders are associated with being waifishly thin (dangerously thin). THis one is associated with being very "thin" in terms of body fat %. Since being at extremely low body fat is inherently dangerous, I believe that this qualifies as an eating disorder. Once again, this does not apply to most people here. THis one seems to center around an obsession with achieving/maintaining extremely low bf% for long periods of time.

Now this behaviour should be distinguished from contest prep which is a short term obsession with extremely low bf%.
    Last edited by the doc; 07-06-2002 at 09:48 AM.

thanks mark..i was trying to figure out if this article was for real or not. I mean it seems pretty stupid, altho, he's treading dangerously close to Dysmoprhia which i'm sure he's isn't really gonna wanna touch on.

he makes a point about the distorted body image, as I'm sure most people don't see themselves as they are.

but he's still an idiot
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

I've heard of this eating disorder. It was referred to as "bigorexia" or I believe (not completely sure) muscle dysmorphia. My understanding is that it has more to do with the abnormal way in which the person sees themself than anything else. Just as an anorexic thinks they are fat even though they are in reality an 88 pound pencil, a bigorexic thinks they are always too small no matter how much muscle they put on. Thusly, they are obsessed with the strictness of their diet, and they will most often wear baggy unrevealing clothes no matter what the weather.

clark - a few member here will have muscular dismorphia.

its fairly common in gyms. though its better to have this, than be a couch potatoe.

some shrink may say its mentally unhealthy, but physically its pretty good to do weight triaining for the rest of your life, regardless of reason.

there are other people obsessed with other sports, but these are not given a nasty name.

Wannabebig Member
    Today I don't want to say I had a cheat day per se, but because of my doctor's advice I'm only supposed to eat simple carbs until tomorrow. So by my own fault, instead of eating his recommended udon and rice porridge, today I had lots of Japanese sweets. I haven't had any desserts for months and I hadn't really been craving them. But when they're in front of me and paid for I just couldn't stop. Tomorrow I'll be back to my usual healthy bodybuilder-ish diet. Today I felt like forcing myself to throw up, I know I'll probably gain a pound of pure fat from today's dinner. But I refuse to give in to bulemia and I'll just suffer on the treadmill/bike to make up for the loss. Just the thought of how throwing up, despite how uncomfortable it is, could save me a week of cardio was tempting though.

nah it's not worth it. you're most likely going to just hold water for the next day or two. nothing that sweating and eating clean over the next couple of days won't cure.

besides your doc did say simple carbs.