Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are in, plan to go, or went to graduate school?

How many of you are in, plan to go, or went to graduate school?

Just curious. What are you going for?

I got my BA last August in Radio, Television, and Film. I'm considering going back to pursue my masters, along the lines of Science media/communication or science journalism. I've stil got ALOT to decide and figure out (like from what angle to approach it). Plus trying to work out the whole financial aid thing. From what i've seen thus far grants for post-bachelor students are pretty rare, but i'm still researching my options. Luckily I have no debt from my undergrad career (well....school debts. )

I went into grad school with $20,000 in the bank and went out w. $0. Now I'm making the big bucks...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I'm working on my thesis for my Masters in English. I've already obtained a Masters in Education. I got my MA to keep my options open in teaching high school and community college, plus more units mean more money. I also like knowing that I'm well educated, which you would not know by looking at me.

I owe about 30K+ in graduate financial aid, but i guess inthe long run it's well worth it.
    Last edited by steveo; 08-09-2007 at 09:06 PM.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Yeah, unfortunately loans will be my main option. But personally I'd rather take loans out on further education as opposed to something I probably don't need. As of right now I just have some mild credit card debt, so I'm not too bad off.

I'll have to figure out the job situation too, something flexible so that I can go to school yet pays the bills.

Not to get too personal but did you rely on federal aid or some other private institution? I've been eye balling a few scholarship but of course they probably won't pay much even if I was awarded on...but every bit helps.
    Last edited by Excelsior; 08-09-2007 at 07:44 PM.

I graduate in December and I will go back to school to get either an MA or a JD. I will finish my undergrad debt-free and with money in the bank, but that's all going to go to hell when I go back to school. One of the programs I am looking at is over 17k a year just for tuition, for three years. I figure I'll probably be close six figures in debt by the time it is all said and done.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    I will be applying to auburn pharmacy school and i hope to everything that I get in and if not ill be applying to south alabama pharmacy. currently an oncoming junior. otherwise im stuck with a biomed degree and will probably be taking Mcats

oh and the best part is I'll be paying them twice as much to let me work for $0... i love that thought.
    Last edited by Indifference; 08-09-2007 at 08:55 PM.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Banned
    I'm getting my undergrad in computer science this year. When I gaduate I'll be debt free with little/no money in the bank. I'm planning on doing a master's in CS. I'm looking at a co-op master's program, which would keep far from debt as a grad student. Also, most of the programs I"m looking at offer ~$20k salaries with tuition already covered. We'll see what happens

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    got my B.A. double in Marketing and Management, and plan on going to grad school next fall to get my mba in Finance most likely
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I'll finish my associates with maybe 200 dollars in debt. I'll finish my bachelors with at least 20k in debt. Then I want my CPA. I'm really hoping that when I get my associate's degree that I can get a job at a bank for nights and go to school during the day. Then the girlfriend and I will then be living together and I'll pay some of the bills and she will too. And then I can go to school, get my degree and then start a family. I wont' start a family until I have my bachelors. I'll probably work on my CPA when I am a little older. Old=27 or so.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 08-09-2007 at 10:13 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

im gonna be a sophomore at WashU. after 3-4 years of work (after i graduate) (hopefully at a bulge bracket investment bank) i'll go back for my MBA. it will be reaaaallll expensive for my masters at the schools im looking at. its already about 80-90K for 2 years and might be closer to 100K for two years when i go.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

I'm looking at getting a masters in Biomechanics, Kinesiology, Exercise Phyisology or maybe getting my RD.

As you can see I have no idea yet. Have one more semester for my BA in Exercise Science.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    I'll finish my associates with maybe 200 dollars in debt. I'll finish my bachelors with at least 20k in debt. Then I want my CPA. I'm really hoping that when I get my associate's degree that I can get a job at a bank for nights and go to school during the day. Then the girlfriend and I will then be living together and I'll pay some of the bills and she will too. And then I can go to school, get my degree and then start a family. I wont' start a family until I have my bachelors. I'll probably work on my CPA when I am a little older. Old=27 or so.
    i don't know about your state, but most require a master's degree before you can sit for your CPA exam. that's the only reason i went to grad school.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    i don't know about your state, but most require a master's degree before you can sit for your CPA exam. that's the only reason i went to grad school.
    Weird. I was informed by someone here in Wisconsin that they took their exam after 150 hours of class work and studying for the test. I was also told it's better to have your CPA then your Masters Degree. I'll have to look further into that. Conflicting information. Thanks, I was just taking their word for it.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Was it worth getting your CPA?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    I'm getting my B.A. in criminal justice. Still got 3 more years...Afterwards I'll be about 32k in debt. IMO not that bad for 3 years of school. Some people pay that for one year.

EDIT: In case you were wondering...I'm a transfer student.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 08-10-2007 at 07:43 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Weird. I was informed by someone here in Wisconsin that they took their exam after 150 hours of class work and studying for the test. I was also told it's better to have your CPA then your Masters Degree. I'll have to look further into that. Conflicting information. Thanks, I was just taking their word for it.
    that's right, its 150 hours, but 150 hours is a master's degree. 120 for undergrad + another 30 for grad school. i suppose if it took you 5 or more years to get your undergrad degree you could pull off the 150.

so basically, if you're sitting for the exam, you will most likely have to have your master's if you have that many credit hours. its very good to have both. if you want to be an accountant you must pass the CPA exam. it would be like trying to be a lawyer without passing the bar, just not gonna happen. your salary and chances for promotion increase trememdously once you have passed.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Going to probably go back and get an MBA or master in EE. Already have my BSEE. Just waiting to get back to Arizona to start.
    Nick V

that's right, its 150 hours, but 150 hours is a master's degree. 120 for undergrad + another 30 for grad school. i suppose if it took you 5 or more years to get your undergrad degree you could pull off the 150.

Both my buddy and I are in a spot almost just like this. I declared myself an Accounting major and after this last year I'll graduate with a degree in Accounting. However, to sit for the CPA I will need to go ahead and get my MSA, giving me the required number of hours. My roommate on the other hand majored in Finance. He's considering going back and getting his undergrad in Accounting which will give him the required hours. He'll be able to bypass the Master's program and then sit for the CPA. Of course he's also considering going the CFP route but that's a whole different story.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

so basically, if you're sitting for the exam, you will most likely have to have your master's if you have that many credit hours. its very good to have both. if you want to be an accountant you must pass the CPA exam. it would be like trying to be a lawyer without passing the bar, just not gonna happen. your salary and chances for promotion increase trememdously once you have passed.
    In a nutshell you're saying: Get my associates, then get my bachelors, then get my masters and then get certified. Otherwise my degree is useless?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

In a nutshell you're saying: Get my associates, then get my bachelors, then get my masters and then get certified. Otherwise my degree is useless?
    i'm not saying that at all. your degree won't be useless. if you have the 150 undergrad hours and absolutely don't want to get your master's then you certainly don't have to. a CPA certification is more important than a master's degree. just remember, though, that a lot of people out there will have both. as ridiculous as it may seem that will give them a leg up on you when it comes down to raises, promotions and other opportunities. hell, it will even make a difference when you're applying for jobs, the partners look for those things.

But, in order to get the recommended amount of credit hours I would have to have the equivalent to a masters degree. I guess there is nothing wrong there. I'll just have a little more to do than I initially planned for.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

hell, it will even make a difference when you're applying for jobs, the partners look for those things.

Truer words have never been spoken. I sat down and talked with the National Director of Auditing for Deloitte and Touche last year. He was giving me the insight on all the behind the scenes stuff and how to land a position that would track to partner. He told me, in pretty much these words, "if you don't have your Masters, you don't have a chance at getting in the door." Heck, I had a 4.0 GPA and he was telling me this. The top firms are very very picky on who they bring in.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken. I sat down and talked with the National Director of Auditing for Deloitte and Touche last year. He was giving me the insight on all the behind the scenes stuff and how to land a position that would track to partner. He told me, in pretty much these words, "if you don't have your Masters, you don't have a chance at getting in the door." Heck, I had a 4.0 GPA and he was telling me this. The top firms are very very picky on who they bring in.
    that's right. the master's is so common now with the 150 hours rule, you're really at a disadvantage if you don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Just curious. What are you going for?

I got my BA last August in Radio, Television, and Film. I'm considering going back to pursue my masters, along the lines of Science media/communication or science journalism. I've stil got ALOT to decide and figure out (like from what angle to approach it). Plus trying to work out the whole financial aid thing. From what i've seen thus far grants for post-bachelor students are pretty rare, but i'm still researching my options. Luckily I have no debt from my undergrad career (well....school debts. )
    I have an MBA. My employer paid for most of it. Then I quit and went to work somewhere else.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I have a friend that works for Bank of america and they pay like $4000 a year for grad school. I'd love to find a job that would help pay.