Thread: Leverage system of power rack + bench?

Leverage system of power rack + bench?

I need new equipment badly, I had a crappy standard bench right now and it's falling apart. I was thinking about getting either the Workbench Leverage System from Powertec or their power rack and bench. Both will come down to basically the same price.

Leverage system

Power rack

I guess in the long run I'd be able to do more with the power rack, such as varying grips for bench press (whereas the leverage system seems to only let you place your hands one distance apart), but since I never have a spotter I thought the leverage system might be good too, and a lot of people seem to like it.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing most people here will recommend the rack but I want to check first.

Power rack is just as safe so long as you set the pins. Get the power rack. You'll have MUCH more versatility and you'll get a better workout to boot.

When it comes down to it, freeweights > machines.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I wouldnt get either if it was me.

I got a good power rack for 300$with free shiping and then bought a bench to go innside for 150 with free shipping as well.

Then you could spend the rest of your money on one of those bad ass squat machines, tryed one out at the mall yesterday and I fell in love with it.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Quote Originally Posted by Leeman View Post
    I wouldnt get either if it was me.

I got a good power rack for 300$with free shiping and then bought a bench to go innside for 150 with free shipping as well.

Then you could spend the rest of your money on one of those bad ass squat machines, tryed one out at the mall yesterday and I fell in love with it.
    And what were the brands?

I'm pretty sure I have enough room in the basement for the power rack. I figured it would be a better choice because you really don't use stabilizer muscles with the LS as far as I know.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    POWER RACK!!!!!!!!!

There are cheaper alternatives though. You really should check out craigslist for equipment in your area...you would be surprised what you can find, especially now since tuition is due
    Nobody has all the answers. Nobody can experience everything. Nobody knows everything.
    Unless you are a Nobody...Ask, Read and Learn

Quote Originally Posted by Leeman View Post

Nobody has all the answers. Nobody can experience everything. Nobody knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    POWER RACK!!!!!!!!!

There are cheaper alternatives though. You really should check out craigslist for equipment in your area...you would be surprised what you can find, especially now since tuition is due
    Eh, I'm not big on used equipment for some reason. I just don't like buying used anything, regardless of money.

I also only have to take two electives to get my degree so it's not a bad tuition price

What are some other brands that are comparable quality at a cheaper price? I know there are a lot of choices for benches, like from Lamar and Body Solid but I'm not sure about racks. I think Body Solid has racks but last I checked they seemed to be more money.

That power rack in the link looks pretty solid and good quality. Doesn't look like a bad deal at all to me.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

That isn't that bad of a price...if you are too good for used equipment...just kiddin'.

Just make sure you shop around alot and consider the price of S+H.

Humor me and tell me you will look on craigslist too...

Power rack, Olympic bar, 500 lbs in weight and a bench and you're set for life. Honestly, you need nothing more than that to do all the compounds of a decent routine to get big.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    That isn't that bad of a price...if you are too good for used equipment...just kiddin'.

Just make sure you shop around alot and consider the price of S+H.

Humor me and tell me you will look on craigslist too...
    NEVAR!

Ok fine

That price on Powertec's web site is more than I've seen it other places, as far as I know I've seen it online for about $600 and shipping wasn't too bad, and the bench would be another $200ish so for both it'll probably be around 800-900 bucks. If I can find a decent online retailer I'll start looking around, but I can't find any good fitness stores around me. Just the usual mainstream crap like Dick's and Sports Authority.

Where are you located Berfles?

No **** at the Dicks Sporting Good in the mall near the house one of trainers told me that they had only sold one power rack there and it was for a guy who was gonna "use it in a movie...in his basement..."
    He said the guy also bought a leather jumprope.
    That seem odd to anyone else.

This is the same store that on the little poster for 'Trainers on Duty' was the name Don Kidick...yea, say that name fast!
    Last edited by nddillon; 08-13-2007 at 11:30 AM.

I live in Pennsylvania in a tiny little town. There are larger cities around me but the close ones don't have anything that I know of. I'll have to check the yellow pages again because I don't really want to drive to Philly with today's gas prices.

I found the complete power rack for $700 and that is with shipping included, and the Powertec bench is $230, or I could get a Bodysolid bench for $250 but I don't know if it would fit right because it's a lot longer than the Powertec one.

EDIT: I should go for the complete rack with the lat attachment right? It adds the pulley system and such, and the complete is cheaper than buying them separately.
    Last edited by berfles; 08-13-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Have you looked at something like this http://www.gymworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=759

I have the Marcy Platinum 12 w/ bench, it is the same thing there with a low and adjustable mid pulley, minus the leg attachment thing...it is great!

Wannabebig Member
    I have that rack, but i bought it used its very solid and durable. I like it alot.

I don't have the lat tower option so I can't comment on that.

Its tough to go wrong with a power rack.

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    And what were the brands?

I'm pretty sure I have enough room in the basement for the power rack. I figured it would be a better choice because you really don't use stabilizer muscles with the LS as far as I know.
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

Theres the power rack, it has held up to everything I put it through but I have never put anymore than 550lbs on it. Mind you I was banging 550lbs on it so it would probably be more like 650lbs of repeted pressure on the bars.

No bending, easy to put together, it came in 2 days, its got a nice pullup bar and the holes arent very far apart so you can do ROM progression for squats deadlifts and maybe bench.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    I live in Pennsylvania in a tiny little town. There are larger cities around me but the close ones don't have anything that I know of. I'll have to check the yellow pages again because I don't really want to drive to Philly with today's gas prices.

I found the complete power rack for $700 and that is with shipping included, and the Powertec bench is $230, or I could get a Bodysolid bench for $250 but I don't know if it would fit right because it's a lot longer than the Powertec one.

EDIT: I should go for the complete rack with the lat attachment right? It adds the pulley system and such, and the complete is cheaper than buying them separately.
    You can get a extra lat attachment on the one I was talking about for a extra 100$ its not that heavy but if you pull the pin out of the stack about 1inch you can hang a 45lb plate off of the pin.

Just sayin..
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Personally I would not buy the attachment. I dont want anything in my rack but me and the bar, especially if it goes to **** and I have to get out fast, I dont want to have to side step the attachment.

I have the Powertec rack, no complaints at all with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    Power rack, Olympic bar, 500 lbs in weight and a bench and you're set for life. Honestly, you need nothing more than that to do all the compounds of a decent routine to get big.
    500 lbs is not enough. Maybe 900-1,000. How else are you going to do heavy rack squats, deadlifts, rack pulls, and such?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers