Thread: ME Bench Press Form

ME Bench Press Form

Hey all, here are two videos. Please tell me how to improve my form. THANKS.

The first one is me doing 245x3. Please check my form and give comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9ZLU0vUp0

The second one is failing on 305x1. My elbow buckles in, and I don't know why. Anyone who's experienced, what exactly did I do wrong and how do I fix the problem? Some of my guesses including not keeping my elbows in tight enough (which I need to practice I guess), not staying tight enough in the hole and just plain weak off of the chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTDSbbMLZM
    Last edited by IZich; 08-15-2007 at 01:11 AM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

it "looks" like your ass is comming off the bench on the 350 clip. chose a foot placement where you can keep your tightness throughout the entire movement.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Try putting your feet further out infront
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Banned
    ya i would try to spread your feet out wider some with keeping your arch, as you have a decent arch. you might get more leg drive from it.
    as for your elbow coming in, it just looked like a stability problem

also on were is your hand placement? being 6'2" you might need to go wider, slowly each week to get used to it.
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 08-15-2007 at 06:38 AM.

You almost had the 305 press. Try to get your feet out wider so you have a stronger base. I think the 305 fail is because you have a sticking point or you just need to get stronger. I dont think there was anything particularly wrong with your form.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Thanks guys. I prefer the feel of driving through the balls of my feet, so perhaps I'll try a wider stance.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    it "looks" like your ass is comming off the bench on the 350 clip. chose a foot placement where you can keep your tightness throughout the entire movement.
    I'm pretty sure my ass is on the bench, but I'll keep that in mind for next time.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IZich View Post
    Thanks guys. I prefer the feel of driving through the balls of my feet, so perhaps I'll try a wider stance.
    for me and my arch and leg drive i concentrate and try to put all my bodyweight i can on my shoulders. It just looks like you might benefit with moving your legs out some (also some feds require that your feet stay planted- when they get picky)
    where was your hand placement? moving it out to max legal width might help over time, i have been moving mine out slowly and it helps when my bench gets stuck.
    also might try touching the bar on your chest slightly lower (just slightly, as it looked from the wobble that you might have brought it down just a tad high)

you should have the 305 very soon

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    for me and my arch and leg drive i concentrate and try to put all my bodyweight i can on my shoulders. It just looks like you might benefit with moving your legs out some (also some feds require that your feet stay planted- when they get picky)
    where was your hand placement? moving it out to max legal width might help over time, i have been moving mine out slowly and it helps when my bench gets stuck.
    also might try touching the bar on your chest slightly lower (just slightly, as it looked from the wobble that you might have brought it down just a tad high)

My indexes are just outside the rings.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

What is the max allowed width on bench press hand placement?
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Banned
    index finger on the outer ring is max legal for competition.
    so if its there looks like you dont need to move your grip.

form looks pretty good. the arch is good, i would also say try widening the feet a bit and see how that feels. other than that just get stronger because form doesn't really look to be the problem.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

I agree with Smokin Hawk. Especially the weight on your shoulder blades (and try and touch them when you set up), widen your stance someand touch lower on your chest. Remember to keep the shoulder blades almost touching. This stabilzes the lift and allows (for me) a better explosion off the chest. am 6'1" and I use wider grip then most. The setup will make or break you lift.

For what is is worth, what kinda of back exercise are you doing? If not doing rows, add them. They will stabilze you bench... I think you could get 305 with the above adjustments...
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#

thx magilla.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

thx magilla I'm doing heavy deads, pullups (CG, palms facing and WG), BB rows and cleans (hangs, high pulls, etc.)

I'll try to focus more on the BB rows and get those a little heavier. Do you think I should be strapped on those to emphasize more back muscle?
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

thx magilla I'm doing heavy deads, pullups (CG, palms facing and WG), BB rows and cleans (hangs, high pulls, etc.)

I'll try to focus more on the BB rows and get those a little heavier. Do you think I should be strapped on those to emphasize more back muscle?
    the other day, I used straps for the 1st time. My rows went up by 50#. So yes, I would (and I will) use straps.
    Weight 250#

Banned
    stability with your forearm grip on the bench is also important, i wouldn't use straps cause of that, you want strong forearms or youll end up dumping it by wimpy handing it.

Okay, great advice everyone. Tomorrow's my ME day again so I'll post vids up and see where I'm at with everything.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

stability with your forearm grip on the bench is also important, i wouldn't use straps cause of that, you want strong forearms or youll end up dumping it by wimpy handing it.
    I agree with smokinhawk on the forearm strength. gotta have it. I should have written I use them for rows only, not for other exercises (DL, Chins, Pullups, etc.)
    Weight 250#

Wannabebig Member
    Hey all, here are two videos. Please tell me how to improve my form. THANKS.

The first one is me doing 245x3. Please check my form and give comments.

The second one is failing on 305x1. My elbow buckles in, and I don't know why. Anyone who's experienced, what exactly did I do wrong and how do I fix the problem? Some of my guesses including not keeping my elbows in tight enough (which I need to practice I guess), not staying tight enough in the hole and just plain weak off of the chest.
    [/url]
    For power lifting you would want your elbows in tighter. I also saw your shoulder pop on the max lift, be careful one problem with keeping your elbows wide is you are open for injury more.