The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Hit lifting goal #2, I am now tough.

lifting goal #1 was for me to do double my bodyweight for a single, I got that when I was 18, weighing 137 and benched 265.
    when I did that one guy at the gym told me "ya your tough if you can bench double your body weight...............................TEN TIMES"
    so that was goal #2
    finally about 10 years later I did it, I have been working hard on my sets of ten as I get a good chest and power workout from them, I have gotten close a few times but was always a bit away, managed to do 330x10 a few times at 175lb bw, and even a 170lb bw, but i have been dropping weight lately and yesterday weighed myself at the gym before i worked out and weighed 165lbs.
    I was pretty confident I could pound out ten reps for the 330 weight I was doing, took allot of effort but managed to do the first set of all ten reps, then subsequent sets i got 9 reps.

goal number 3 is 3X bodyweight, raw of coarse.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What would be more impressive would be DEADLIFTING 3xBW for 10. THEN you'd be tough.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wow that is great!
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    What would be more impressive would be DEADLIFTING 3xBW for 10. THEN you'd be tough.
    ya that would, im just trying for 3X deadlift for a single first.

Quote Originally Posted by waynedang View Post
    Wow that is great!
    thanks.

Wow, impressive.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Thats great man... you've made great progress on your lifting!
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Freaking unbelievable Smokin... freaking unbelievable. Do you have a journal? What major programs were you on to progress from 2x BW to 2xBWx10?
    Last edited by IZich; 08-15-2007 at 10:46 AM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Banned
    thanks guys.
    been a long road, lot of effort, few injuries, and overcoming of those injuries, and little missed workouts on bench.

programs or routines are mine, figuring out how hard i could push myself effectively
    I started out at 13 doing 10 reps of 10 sets of bench every other day (did other exercises too, but we will just talk about bench), did that for about a year, then cut it down to benching 10x10 twice a week once the weight started to get heavier. Did that till I was around 17 and did 10x10 once a week, started to pick up skull crushers and other work on my tries on my off day onces a week for arms.
    when i was 18 I hit 2x my body weight for a single 275@137, think i cut down my sets to 5 for 10 reps and occationally did heavy doulbles and singles after my working sets, somewhere around 18-19yrs old . as i had a couple of shoulder injuries and figured i was pushing myself to much. from 19-27 i maintained my lifts around a 330-340 max weighing 155-165 because i was going to school part time with working 45-50 hours a week. Also had a motorcycle accident that hurt my shoulder which took me about 6-8 months to get back where i was at (couldnt raise my right arm by its self for a month)
    at 27 started to (last year after i finished my BSME) I had more time again to focus (hurt my elbow which slowed me down a little) I started to do more singles and doubles so i cut my working sets down to 4 sets of 10 reps, then 3 sets of 10 reps and allot more triples doubles and singles, in paused, strict and cheat forms. and recently added 2 and 3 board presses. for my off day I also have been concentrating on my tricep strength going heavier on my skull crushers and sometimes doing CG speed benching

and i put my journal in my sig now.
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 08-15-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Oh my God. 10x10 all the way up to 2xBW? And 10 rep sets all the way to today? Totally unconventional, and great job.

I bet you could tell me a TON about my bench press form. Can you take a look at the other thread here with my video? Please critique me to high heaven bro.
    Last edited by IZich; 08-15-2007 at 11:21 AM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR