The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

750 rep workout evaluation

Hi im about 6 foot weight 165 pounds and workout anywhere from 2.5 - 3.0 hours per day hard. Im a firm believer in no pain not gain and believe theres more to a workout then just benching 200 pounds. lately I developed a workout that has 750 reps in it works out most of the muscles. I wanna post it to see what you guys think about it and maybe how i can make it better. Ive been doing it for about a week and 1/2 now and can almost finish the workout under an hour and 30 minutes ive seen huge improvements in my body but I feel that I may be missing something to make this workout the best and as hard as it can be.

here it is:

"750 Rep Endurance Workout"

25(x) pull ups
    50(X) #135 dead lifts
    50(x) push ups
    50(x) Power Clean w/ 50(x) jump over bar forward and back @ #105
    50(x) Squat @ 115
    75(x) hindu squats
    75(x) decline situps w/ 25 pound weight
    50(x) front squat @115
    50(x) push ups
    50(x) dead lifts @ #135
    50(x) decline situps w/ 25 pound weight
    25(x) pull ups

Timed

Tell me what you guys think

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

WBB Member
    You've been doing this workout for only a week, yet you think you can already see huge improvements in your body?

What are your goals? I think most people on here would say you are doing far too many sets and reps, and are spending more time working out than is necessary.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    I think you should research a proper split. 2.5-3 hours? I usually wanna drag my fat ass home after my first heavy set of deadlifts! Most peoples energy wanes after 1-1.5 i think, atleast if you train hard it does. MORE IS NOT BETTER. Look up Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength or Bill Starrs 5x5 routines. As simple as you get yet the yield excellent results.
    Last edited by Kong; 08-15-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by nukethewhales06 View Post
    Hi im about 6 foot weight 165 pounds and workout anywhere from 2.5 - 3.0 hours per day hard. Im a firm believer in no pain not gain and believe theres more to a workout then just benching 200 pounds. lately I developed a workout that has 750 reps in it works out most of the muscles. I wanna post it to see what you guys think about it and maybe how i can make it better. Ive been doing it for about a week and 1/2 now and can almost finish the workout under an hour and 30 minutes ive seen huge improvements in my body but I feel that I may be missing something to make this workout the best and as hard as it can be.

here it is:

"750 Rep Endurance Workout"

25(x) pull ups
    50(X) #135 dead lifts
    50(x) push ups
    50(x) Squat @ 115
    75(x) hindu squats
    75(x) decline situps w/ 25 pound weight
    50(x) front squat @115
    50(x) push ups
    50(x) dead lifts @ #135
    50(x) decline situps w/ 25 pound weight
    25(x) pull ups

Timed

Tell me what you guys think
    I am assuming you have no goals to deadlift, squat, or bench much higher than 200lbs max. With that workout, you will have a body that resembles a long distance track runner or something. You most likely won't build mass and will probably stay at around 165lbs. You might even lose weight. Overall, it is one of the worst workouts I have ever read online in my life.

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    You need to do 51 deadlifts. That's all that stands between that workout and perfection.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Honestly itll be good for conditioning (if done in a shorter time scale) but not for adding size or strength. Its basically circuit training. Your probably better off doing 10 reps of each (in a row with a weight you can get 10 consecutive reps with, not in a rest-pause fashion as i assume your doing to get all the reps) in a circuit and completing 5 circuits. But again it wont really build you up, more of a cardiovascular workout. Then i again i know sweet F all about circuit training and dont believe theres much more to life than putting up big numbers...does that make me sad...oh well
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

It's not that bad of a conditioning workout, but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis and expect anything magical to happen. Two suggestions:

1) drop the hindu squats, they are a dead end movement that reinforces bad habits.
    2) do it faster than 3 hours. I'm guessing 45-60 minutes should be plenty of time.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

looks awfully familiar to another high rep "workout"

(cough Spartan 300 cough)

I agree with Anthony though...this is fine for conditioning work and even better if you can keep it under an hour
    Last edited by KingWilder; 08-15-2007 at 01:03 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    What are you expecting anyone to say to that? Seriously, wanna look like an olympic swimmer...keep it up then!

My advice, take the zero off the number and use some heavy weights. Now run along you cardio bunny you!
    Nobody has all the answers. Nobody can experience everything. Nobody knows everything.
    Unless you are a Nobody...Ask, Read and Learn

What kind of improvements in your body have you noticed?
    Sarvamangalam!

Guys, people have goals other than to big huge or symmetrical. Like Anthony said, as far as a muscle endurance workout, it's not that bad. You'll probably burn out very quickly doing it several times a week. I'd scale things down quite a bit for your normal workouts.

Superman, you're very wrong if you say he can't gain weight doing something like that. Size is a function of diet. He very well could put on considerable size doing something along those lines.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wannabebig Member

haha

Ok guys sorry not responding back fast enough .... Its for endurance full body.... im not looking to get huge with it the idea of the work out was to tighten up and perform better i look at it as a performance increaser.... I want to increase my poweround ratio "the 750 rep ENDURANCE workout"
    Last edited by nukethewhales06; 08-17-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Ok guys sorry not responding back fast enough .... Its for endurance full body.... im not looking to get huge with it the idea of the work out was to tighten up and perform better i look at it as a performance increaser.... I want to increase my poweround ratio "the 750 rep ENDURANCE workout"

How old are you?

If you can't get a decent workout within an hour, then you're not working out hard enough. Raise your intensity and you won't have to work out more than an hour.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPac View Post
    If you can't get a decent workout within an hour, then you're not working out hard enough. Raise your intensity and you won't have to work out more than an hour.

It's an endurance workout. In other words low intensity lengthy duration.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-17-2007 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    It's an endurance workout. In other words low intensity lengthy duration.
    An endurance workout for 3 HOURS??? It still seems a bit silly.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    An endurance workout for 3 HOURS??? It still seems a bit silly.

If you were training for say a marathon you'd be doing a LOT more training than three hours a week. Or what about a triathlon? Or what if you were going into the Marines or Army? Even for playing some sports?

Remember his goal is not to build as much muscle as possible but endurance. Long/low intensity workouts are better for that than short high intensity ones.

If you can't get a decent workout within an hour, then you're not working out hard enough.
    That's just not true.

I ... believe theres more to a workout then just benching 200 pounds.
    Yeah, like benching 400lbs. :evillaugh

Seriously, though, if all you are interested in is endurance that's fine, and I would certainly trust Anthony's advice. If, on the other hand, you are concerned about aesthetics don't fool yourself into thinking this routine is ideal in that respect. You're 6' 165lbs. How much more cut do you think you can get?
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    Then why are you on a site called "wanna be big"?

Quote Originally Posted by jostrichm View Post
    Then why are you on a site called "wanna be big"?
    Why are you here? There has been a lot of talk about changing the name at some point, just FYI.

If conditioning is what you want, than fine, its not that bad.

But no matter what sport your in, you can ALWAYS benefit from strength training. Use this routine as a tool but not as your soul workout.

I know this man who won a world event in cycling a few years ago (In Trinidad) and a won a national event in a triathlon. He is a firm believer in strength training (the big 3) and it shows.

Use your routine sparingly, but conditioning is done on the field... use the gym for things you could not do on the field like strength training. Dont ditch what your doing, but maybe only do it once every two weeks.

Wannabebig Member
    Im not using it as a soul workout I use several other workouts alot of lower rep high weight and low weight high rep... workouts that isolate muscles and workouts that use lots of different sets of muscles together. I also am interested when the time comes about incorporating chains... I like to change almost everyday and not repeat the same workouts that often... I sometimes trade out workout sessions for other activities like rock climbing and jujitsu gym training also I like to get together with friends and play games with heavy medicine balls.

So this workout is one of many and my goal is to get it to less than an hour and 30 min I thought i said that in the opening and only for a short period...

The huge improvements that i saw from a aweek of these workouts were:

max pull ups increased from 18 to about 23-25
    my max dead lift has actually increased from 225ish to about 260
    I was never able to power clean more then like 125 now i can power clean 145- 155
    As for my squat I was never in good form with my squats so actually doing this work out with low weight and placing a bench for me to sit down on on the decline movement helped me build my form so now the process of squating heavier weight i feel is safer

I look at working out not to get big but to perform and the reason Im on a forum that is called wanna be big bodybuilding is that if your a weight lifter you should know about lifting weights and what not so i joined to ask questions

And the workout is not 3 hours i said i usually workout 2.5- 3 hours a day depending but this workout is finsihed quickly

And in response to the no goals statement yes i haave goals i forget the article i read but after testing they found that thre was a high correlation between high quick non stop reps and max weight while its not the best way to build max weight and im not saying that but there is a strong correlation and from looking it up i found that finding a balance can help increase the amount of power that i can produce per pound of muscle that i build thus making me stronger for my weight.

and in response to not being able to bench more then 200 pounds i 1rm 225 on a day were im rested

In response to the workout looking like another High rep workout recently published yes i did get a bit of influence from reading about why the workout was designed the way it was and the results of the workout.

the question was what should i tweak to make the workout more effective and efficient. thanks

What is the physique your looking for?