The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Iron4Life

Ooops.. I did it again - over 40, thinking I'm 20

Well, some of you may have read my journal and my "come back" from a left bicep's tear last fall...

Well!!! I did it again!!!! this time I tore my right bicep flipping our 875 tire the other day.. the same dang tire that ripped my left one last year...

Last yr it was my fault.. improper technique (arm was flexed), no proper warmup and too much pride (we had just got the tire, I failed on first attempt, and one of our young studs came over and flipped it.. well I couldn't let this old, fat man be outdone by a strong, hard-working, 20-something...

But this year, we had worked our way up.. flipping the 400 and 650 were easy... and we had practiced on the 875 from a couple of different heights - 1ft, 8 inches, 4 inches and then finally on the ground. (I had successfully flipped it for the 1st time just a minute before the 2nd rep tore the bicep)

Surgery?? I didn't get it last yr.. they really said there was no benefit besides the way it looks. I'm not BB'ing, so I don't care.. and surgery means a longer rehab.

But how do I make them stronger? and able to handle the heavy tires? I was doing great with rehab - even built myself up to 12 chinups - which is pretty decent for an old, fat man. And I've never felt any strain in them on any event in last couple of months - not DL'ing, chinups, curls, or even before on the flips - the darn thing just tears with no indication of a problem?

And the docs say it could be age, genetics or some combination... Anyone else out there over 40 recover and make it back?

The docs are frustrating when they can't really tell you what went wrong... or how to make it stronger... there is no real experience around here (at least I haven't found it) with these type of strength efforts.. perhaps I can travel down to Boston and find someone???
    Will the surgery actually make them stronger?

Some other info:
    • no direct biceps work in the few days before the tear...
    • I had just recently taken a couple weeks off of training for vacation.. the rest had done me some good, b/c I was feeling overtrained/tired in a few of my lifts...
    • my 4th workout back... and I was feeling strong (for me anyway)
    • was taking it easy - good warmup, testing from the higher heights, concentrating on form/technique..
    • I was even the one making sure the other guys who were attempting this tire were being careful of their form, showing the newbies the old tear, etc... I'm the old man of the group (at 42 haha) and was being the "pops" as they call me (most the guys are young 20's, I could be their "pops")

Thanks for any advice... experience.. pointers... websites... anything... thanks...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No, nononononono/

No!!!!! Get better man.

God I dont even have the heart to make an old jab I feel so bad right now.

Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

=[

That really sucks man! Understatement of the year, I know. I'm so sorry to hear that you got hurt again.

Not having ever had the surgery, I'd still opt for it if it won't F-up your life too badly... I gotta believe that the surgery will help it heal better although it will probably take longer to rehab.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Oh wow... so sorry to hear about the injury! I hope you recover fully and quickly.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I'm sorry to hear that Bear Heal up quickly.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Sorry to hear about that man. I'm dealing with injuries too right now. No real experience from me but I have a slight tear in my bicep ligament in my shoulder which is taking some time to heal up and RC injury to go along with it. I've just been icing it to take down some inflammation and resting alot.

Good luck with the recovery big man.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Iron4Life
    Thanks Built, Fuzzy, Noxon, Twilo, GF and Detard (hope you get better too..)

Thanks Sensei, but right now, it's going to be rehab and no surgery... mostly b/c of the length of rehab, the real limited use after surgery (I have to use my hands on a daily basis and I can't do cr_p with my left) and the fact that after surgery there no guarantees.. in fact, it's the same percentage for better or the same or worst...

As far as the future goes, well I have to dianose the list of reasons for it happening.. again... which range from age - genetics - flexibility - dehydation - muscular imbalance - muscles were "tired" ... if my form was good, my strength was on par and I don't take the juice (which I don't)...

so, I've been thru each of these things and come to re-think some of my training and rehab around them... I do believe the strength was there b/c I had flipped before the tear that day.. and I can't really say much about my age or genetics, pure and simply, those are unknown variables... so that means I've got to work on flexibility, hydration, muscle imbalances and overtraining...

I'm usually pretty good on the hydration - at least a gallon a day, most days 1.5... some training days I know I get over 2... but, with creatine & caffiene you have to be careful, falling into dehydation can happen quickly... so I need to make sure I'm consistant..

Flexibility has always been a sore spot for me... I WILL WORK ON MY FLEXIBILITY!!! no ifs ands or buts...

Muscle imbalances are tough... Legs & glutes are definitely stronger then my arms... so I've got to build some more toughness into them.. perhaps more hanging, which can't hurt because it will continue to build my grip too... perhaps more DL static holds... and some other iso-metric stuff...

Tired muscles... well, I've been known to do too much on more then one occassion... and I just have to realize that flipping tires is going to put this strain on the biceps that I can not avoid... so, before I ever do it again, I will make sure I have the appropriate rest beforehand..

I've got a plan... I just have to execute...

Good luck bear. I'm glad I haven't had to deal with any major injuries so far. Keep us all updated.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I broke my arm two months ago and needed surgery to put plates in it. Anyways they had to cut through my tricep, which is basically like a torn muscle, to get to it. After around 3 weeks of physiotherapy i'm finally able to to get close to full range of motion. Strength is a different story however. The tricep is still extremely weak compared to its initial state but Im making progress none the less. I've searched around the internet and found that torn muscles take around 6 months to recover.

Hope you get better man... don't give up, it will heal.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Growth!!!
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Thanks Sensei, but right now, it's going to be rehab and no surgery...
    Hope all is well bearwolf. Any updates?
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

How are you faring, bear?