The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What do you think of this split?

I've been on BGB for four months, and probably will stick with it til I decide to bulk up again, but I been getting kinda of bored with it and been kicking around different splits in my mind, but this is what I came up with.

Wednesday (Shoulders/Triceps)
    DB Shoulder Press 4x6
    Front Raises 3x8
    Lateral Raises 3x8
    Weighted Dips 3x8
    Overhead DB Extension 3x8
    DB Shrugs 3x10
    Abs

Thursday (Legs)
    Squats 4x6
    DB Lunges 3x10 (10 steps per leg)
    SLDL 3x10
    Leg Press 1x15x12x10x8x6x4x2
    Seated/Standing Calf Raises 3x10

Saturday (Back/Rear Delts)
    Deadlifts 3x3
    T-Bar Rows 3x8
    Pullups 3x8
    Seated Row 3x8
    Lat Pulldowns 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x10

Sunday (Chest/Biceps)
    DB/BB Flat BP 4x6
    Incline BP 3x8
    Cable Flies 3x10
    Incline Curls 3x8
    Preacher Curls 3x8
    Abs

I think I got too many 3x8, I dont know what else I should do. I kinda wanna try some pyramid sorta thing on some stuff. Like 12 reps, then 8, then 4. But I don't know if its a good idea. Obviously I would switch some stuff in and out of the routine (dips for CGBP etc) on some days. Anyways lemme know what you guys think, thanks.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Not good at all. You need to train movements not muscles.

Weird suggestion, but I'll offer it up.

Make a list of all the movements you did for BGB, including the rep ranges and number of sets you did over the course of a week.

Figure out what bodyparts were hit the hardest with these, and decide if something needed more work. If it did (pecs has been a common complaint, not at all surprising that a split written by a chick didn't have a metric ass-ton of pec work lol) then add in the additional movements (with sets and reps) you will want.

Do this in excel, it's easier.

Now move the stuff around in different arrangements. Switch up the rep ranges as required. Toss in some wave loading where you think you'd like to bust a plateau, or any other strategies (such as loaded passive rest or pyramids, drop sets, supersets, whatever) you think might be helpful.

Thanks for the help Built, I will do that, I've been trying to think of that cause my back has defintely been brought up working it twice a week and stuff. I really liked your routine but I am just kinda gettin bored, it is an excellent routine though. What Im gonna do is make a list of every excercise of the days and then put a check if its worked that day, if that makes any sense and compare it to this one.

Billy Guns -- Well I don't know what you mean, but if thats you in your avatar you have an impressive physique.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Try to think of what you want the same and what you want different. You may prefer to do all your quad work on one day, and all your hamstring work on a different day. You may choose to work bis and tris on the same day in antagonist pairs, or to pair heavy horizontal pushing with lighter vertical pulling... lots of ways to do this.

I think what Billy Guns was referring too was that in BGB, you have a horizontal push/pull day and a vertical push/pull day. But, of course you're not doing BGB, so it has nothing to do with this program, which in my opinion, you could do a lot better with something else.

Squat, Bench, DL, OH Press and Row. That's all you need. Don't over complicate things.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Squat, Bench, DL, OH Press and Row. That's all you need. Don't over complicate things.
    I second that! KEEP IT SIMPLE! Although I think chins and dips should be in there.
    Nobody has all the answers. Nobody can experience everything. Nobody knows everything.
    Unless you are a Nobody...Ask, Read and Learn

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post

But thats a powerlifter.If you want to add kool lines to your body you have to start the sculpting.Squats as example dont really hit the outer sweep on my leghs so I use extensions for that.Want bigger traps then shrug heavy......neck too short than lay off the shrugs or risk looking like you have no neck.You forgot calf raises....and trust me no calves throws off a body quick.

Your tricep has 3 heads and for full development you have to hit them all.

What I do is...

Triceps pushdowns with triangle bar,that hits long head mostly.Then close grip straight bar for inner head and finally reverse grip w/hands wide apart for horshoe(outerhead).My triceps are fully developed cause of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    But thats a powerlifter.If you want to add kool lines to your body you have to start the sculpting.Squats as example dont really hit the outer sweep on my leghs so I use extensions for that.Want bigger traps then shrug heavy......neck too short than lay off the shrugs or risk looking like you have no neck.You forgot calf raises....and trust me no calves throws off a body quick.

Your tricep has 3 heads and for full development you have to hit them all.

What I do is...

Triceps pushdowns with triangle bar,that hits long head mostly.Then close grip straight bar for inner head and finally reverse grip w/hands wide apart for horshoe(outerhead).My triceps are fully developed cause of this.

My advice goes for everybody. Start worrying about "sculpting" after you're sitting in the gym with 230lbs of LBM. "Sculpted" small muscles are still small muscles. A member from another forum stated it very well: "You don't worry about the windows and the doors until you have the foundation built." Spend ten years lifting and adding weight to the bar and then worry about all the small stuff.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.