Thread: BGB a few issues?

Hybrid View

BGB a few issues?

I haven't posted for quite a while, but I've been hard at it (and doing some weight lifting)
    Firstly here is the routine I'm doing, it's essentially BGB, with a few tweaks.

Monday:
    1) Rack Pulls with Shrugs at top of lift 4x8
    2) Back Row 4x8
    3) Bench Press 4x6 or 4x8
    4) Chest Flys 3x8
    5) Reverse Curls 3x8
    6) Standing Calf Raises 4x8 or 3x10

Wednesday:
    1) Leg extensions 3x10
    2) Squats 4x8
    3) Leg Curl 3x12
    4) Concentration Curls 3x10
    5) Seated bicep Curls 4x6
    6) Wrist Curls 3x8

Thursday:
    1) Chins 4x8
    2) Cable Rear Delt Row 3x8
    3) Shoulder Press 4x8
    4) Front Delt Raises 3x10
    5) Lateral raises 3x8
    6) Seated Calf Raises 3x12-16

Saturday:
    1) Leg Curl 3x8
    2) Leg extensions 3x12
    3) Leg Press 3x8
    4) Bench Press 3x12
    5) Flat Flys 3x12
    6) Cable tricep press downs 3x10
    7) Skull crushers 4x8

A few questions, firstly my biceps are getting hit directly on Wednesday and indirectly on Monday (back rows) and Thursday (chins, rear delt rows) I know that BGB is designed to give frequent hits, but is this too many hits?
    Also, I'm wondering the same about my front delts. They get hit Monday, Thursday and Saturday, is this too much? Perhaps I should drop the front delt raises on Thursday?
    Lastly, I have decided to do two chest workouts a week because once a week isn't really doing it for me, but this then creates a possible problem regarding shoulder presses, which I do on Thursdays. Both chest and shoulder press hit the front delts and triceps, is it a good idea to have shoulder press on Thursday and a second chest workout on Saturday.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JConrad View Post

A few questions, firstly my biceps are getting hit directly on Wednesday and indirectly on Monday (back rows) and Thursday (chins, rear delt rows) I know that BGB is designed to give frequent hits, but is this too many hits?
    That's fine. Some people respond to more frequent indirect hits. See what works best for you. If you want you can even take the direct bicep work out for a while and use the rows and compunds as your bicep work.

Also, I'm wondering the same about my front delts. They get hit Monday, Thursday and Saturday, is this too much? Perhaps I should drop the front delt raises on Thursday?
    Should be fine. Again as long as your properly rested it shouldn't be a problem. Or take out the front delt work on one of the days.

Lastly, I have decided to do two chest workouts a week because once a week isn't really doing it for me, but this then creates a possible problem regarding shoulder presses, which I do on Thursdays. Both chest and shoulder press hit the front delts and triceps, is it a good idea to have shoulder press on Thursday and a second chest workout on Saturday.
    If you can handle it then go for it. Me personally, would be tired on Saturday and my shoulders would be burnt out and bench would suffer. I like doing bench one day a week with maybe 1 set of bench instead of a tricep exercise. But mostly have a good bench day on Monday, and heavy CGB on Saturday.
    hope this helped....I think I confused myself because I clipped your routine out so I couldn't reference your exact days/exercises.

I haven't posted for quite a while, but I've been hard at it (and doing some weight lifting)
    Firstly here is the routine I'm doing, it's essentially BGB, with a few tweaks.

Monday:
    1) Rack Pulls with Shrugs at top of lift 4x8
    2) Back Row 4x8
    3) Bench Press 4x6 or 4x8
    4) Chest Flys 3x8
    5) Reverse Curls 3x8
    6) Standing Calf Raises 4x8 or 3x10
    Okay, so you've dropped the low-rep stuff and added direct tricep work here...

Wednesday:
    1) Leg extensions 3x10
    2) Squats 4x8
    3) Leg Curl 3x12
    4) Concentration Curls 3x10
    5) Seated bicep Curls 4x6
    6) Wrist Curls 3x8
    You're doing pre-exhaust leg work before squats, which you're also doing in higher rep ranges, and you added wrist work...

Thursday:
    1) Chins 4x8
    2) Cable Rear Delt Row 3x8
    3) Shoulder Press 4x8
    4) Front Delt Raises 3x10
    5) Lateral raises 3x8
    6) Seated Calf Raises 3x12-16
    I might suggest you ditch the front delt raises and try Arnolds ss with the laterals. Arnolds hit front and side, laterals hit up side again and if nothing else you'll get a wicked pump!. Shoulder press is heavy front. This might help balance out your approach a bit.

Saturday:
    1) Leg Curl 3x8
    2) Leg extensions 3x12
    3) Leg Press 3x8
    4) Bench Press 3x12
    5) Flat Flys 3x12
    6) Cable tricep press downs 3x10
    7) Skull crushers 4x8
    I'm sorry, but your leg training selections suck.

Leg curls twice a week? I only ever do leg curls in high rep ranges, as the optional "third" exercise after say RDLs as 5x5s and GHRs as 3x8s.

My feeling is that you've bypassed a few too many of the built-ins on this split, such as the rep-ranges and exercise order. Read Thibaudeau for more on this.

Where I do agree with you is in some of your rep range choices for "lagging" parts. My small experience with parts that stubbornly refuse to grow has suggested that more volume and higher rep ranges sometimes do wonders to coax them out. Pecs, lats, quads and delts - at least in my own case - have been noteworthy examples.

Is there some reason why you're not doing RDLs, GHRs, GMs and other heavy compound free hamstring work?

ye it sucks
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

I'm doing BGB as well - Built is dead on with her assessment. You've selected weak exercises to work your hammies. RDLs would be a better selection or GMs. And for Quad-dominant leg day put Squats first ahead of the leg extensions. You'll be better able to handle heavier loads and see better progress on muscle growth that way.

Why did you add chest exercises on Saturday when you just worked your upper body on Thursday?
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

Thanks for the input. I haven't thought of RDL's, perhaps I'll add them for the heavy ham day.
    Built, regarding my changes to the rep ranges, I looked at your sample routine and, I could be wrong, but it does seem more geared towards strength gains, which is of secondary concern to me at present. For the time being I'm sticking in the hypertrophy range for pretty much everything (8-12). Also looking at your sample routine, I noticed that for a particular muscle you put the heavy exercise first, whereas I prefer to do the light exercise, followed by the heavy exercise, in keeping with the descending wave loading principle.

I'm a little confused by your comment about my Monday routine, you say i have added direct tricep work? The only thing I added that is different to your sample routine for this day is reverse curls, which don't touch the triceps. Can you please elaborate as I don't want to be making any silly mistakes (hence this thread)

To answer the last poster, this is a dilemma for me, because although I did exercise my upper body on Thursday, none of this was for chest, and as I said in my original post I'm trying to add a second, lighter chest workout, but obviously I don't want to overtrain my front delts.
    Last edited by JConrad; 08-17-2007 at 05:05 PM.

JConrad, hypertrophy happens when you marry progressive overload with caloric excess.

Please read the Thibaudeau article I'm re-posting here. It's actually called "3 ways to get big". You'll gain a better understanding for why the rep ranges I used work so well together.

From the article:

Arranging the Methods into a Workout

Here's a good rule: You should always put the more CNS-demanding stuff early in the workout. Heavier exercises and more complex exercises involve the CNS more. So in a workout using all three methods you should use this order:

1. Heavy movement using a big compound exercise (bench press, squat, Romanian deadlift, military press, rowing)

2. Intermediate movement (dumbbell press, leg press, lunges, reverse hyper, glute-ham raise, wide stance leg press) for sets in the 8-12 reps range

3. Isolation exercise using constant tension for sets lasting 40-70 seconds (12 to 15 slow, tensed reps)
    (Edited to add my apologies for reading too quickly earlier; when I saw "reverse curls", my dyslexic brain saw "tricep work" rather than "bicep work".)

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Fantastic advice built.

The ONLY way I ever put on any size was by actually eating and lifting my ass off with basic heavy compound movements. I hardly ever touch machines anymore and things seem to be working much better because of it.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    JConrad, hypertrophy happens when you marry progressive overload with caloric excess.

Please read the Thibaudeau article I'm re-posting here. It's actually called "3 ways to get big". You'll gain a better understanding for why the rep ranges I used work so well together.

From the article:

(Edited to add my apologies for reading too quickly earlier; when I saw "reverse curls", my dyslexic brain saw "tricep work" rather than "bicep work".)
    What you are saying makes very good sense, I think a slight revision of my routine is in order. I'll put the heavy stuff first, and for most (not all) of the compound exercises I will drop to 6 reps per set - I still do not like 5's, never have, never will.

PS I get the feeling you don't like wrist curls, care to explain?

One more question, what do you mean by slow tensed reps/constant tension? And do you place any importance on squeezing the muscles at the top of the lift?
    Last edited by JConrad; 08-17-2007 at 07:36 PM.

What you are saying makes very good sense, I think a slight revision of my routine is in order. I'll put the heavy stuff first, and for most (not all) of the compound exercises I will drop to 6 reps per set - I still do not like 5's, never have, never will.

PS I get the feeling you don't like wrist curls, care to explain?
    I don't mind wrist curls. I don't DO 'em, but they're okay.

Use 5-reps for the RDLs, as a compromise. Hamstrings are predominantly fast-twitch and you should find 5x5 RDLs (note form - look up, knees bend a bit, ass goes back, weight touches and is almost pushed into the body the whole way down and up) do wonders for them on hamstring day. You can follow them with something like GHRs or pull throughs, or something I've started doing recently - cable hamstring rows - for 3x8, and if you like, leg curls or SHELC for 3x12. <Snicker. Try the SHELC. They're humbling. Do 'em one leg at a time for extra humility>

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    From the article:
    That was a most excellent excerpt.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
    That was a most excellent excerpt.
    See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting...

JConrad - I said I'd never like or do 5 rep work - and now I totally dig it. Don't dismiss it.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    JConrad - I said I'd never like or do 5 rep work - and now I totally dig it. Don't dismiss it.
    Don't get me wrong, I have tried them. It's hard to explain but afterwards I just didn't feel like I'd done much work (and yes I was definitely lifting my 5 rep max)
    I tried them for flat bench, squats and standing shoulder press. Everyone's different I suppose, and although 1 extra rep doesn't seem like much, I find 6 rep sets so much better.
    With my dislike for rep schemes below 6's I guess it's lucky I'm not trying to be a power lifter. Basically I just want a great body and I know I can achieve this without 5 rep sets or below.

Built, I took your advice on board for today's workout. I went down to 6 rep sets for the compounds and did them before the lighter exercises. I also (tentatively) tried RDL's. I didn't go heavy, and for the first few times I will stick to doing them 10 reps a set, just until I'm sure of the proper form.
    Last edited by JConrad; 08-18-2007 at 05:19 PM.

4x6 is fine instead of 5x5 - just remember, it's not about what the workout feels like, it's about the results.

Good luck!

Built, two quick questions, should i deload with BGB, and if so, how? I have never tried deloading and I'm not realy sure what it is.
    Also why is the RDL called a deadlift, when the weight never goes dead between reps?
    Thanks.

1. just take a week off every once in a while.
    2. Why do men have nipples? Why do you drive in a parkway but park in a driveway? When yogurt goes bad, how can you tell? Did Adam and Eve have navels?

1. just take a week off every once in a while.
    2. Why do men have nipples? Why do you drive in a parkway but park in a driveway? When yogurt goes bad, how can you tell? Did Adam and Eve have navels?

1. Will do.
    2. Need I look upon a skull in a mirror that have one in my face?

Much oblidged.