The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Do I have the right idea?

As of last week I was 5'10 and weighed 155 pounds. I'm a hardgainer and I've had a gut for as long as I can remember. I want to put more muscle on my arms and legs, but I want to do it without a gut.

The plan was to lose about 15 pounds over the next couple months before putting on 30. The hope was that by the time I got down to around 140 the gut would be gone or much less. I've been working out for the past two years and started doing more reps and less weight recently in hopes of keeping a fair amount of muscle and forcing most of my weight loss to come from the gut. The basic idea is try try and start with a clean slate and hope when I start gaining that the pounds come on proportionally.

I lost four pounds last week so I'm down to 151, although I realize the first few pounds are easy because it's water weight. I've basically been doing more cardio and eating less as well as a little more healthy. I've also started doing some ab exercises, which I hadn't done previously (could use some suggestions on this front).

I'm not going to worry about how I'm going to put on weight until later (more food/weight gainer/combination), but do I have the right idea so far for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how can u have a gut at 155? when i was 6'0 165 i was a stick. 20 lbs later...im still a stick, lol. but either way, it makes more sense to get bigger and then cut back in my opinion.

have fun lifting big weights at 140lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    I have horrible genetics. The gut runs in my family.
    Last edited by MassMan06; 08-21-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Does the lack of criticism, and responses in general, mean I'm not going at this stupidly?

Wannabebig Member
    Gain 50 pounds.

Just eat a clean diet high in calories and move some big ass weights, dont worry about your 'gut' for now.
    Weight: 250-255 Height:6'0"
    Current: 515/320/585 (unequipped)
    Goals for year end: 545/345/615 BW: 245

Quote Originally Posted by MassMan06 View Post
    As of last week I was 5'10 and weighed 155 pounds. I'm a hardgainer and I've had a gut for as long as I can remember. I want to put more muscle on my arms and legs, but I want to do it without a gut.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you -- I'm 6'2" 180lbs, trying to drop 10lbs right now, and I'm stick thin except for a bit of a gut and some man boobs that I want gone! As a former fatty I now despise fat on my body....so I'm trying for 9% BF or so before I begin my bulk. I also don't plan to bulk as long as many. I don't ever want to gain so much fat that it takes longer than 2-3 months to cut off.

I say do what you want to do and what's going to make you happy. It's your body, after all

I've been working out for the past two years and started doing more reps and less weight recently in hopes of keeping a fair amount of muscle and forcing most of my weight loss to come from the gut......I've also started doing some ab exercises, which I hadn't done previously (could use some suggestions on this front).
    You do realize that ab exercises and lower weights/higher reps aren't going to make you lose fat around your gut, right? You can't control where you lose or gain fat. The ab exercises are good though so I'd definitely keep them--always good to work your core and then when you get rid of your gut you'll have something nice underneath to look at.

Good luck!

just so you know
    If you go from 6'2 180lbs with some fat you say, then wanna drop to 9% BF before bulking, you'll look like someone from a concentration camp
    Not trying to insult ya, just telling ya as it is
    Better approach would be a 'clean' bulk. Eat anything good for ya that you see, and whatrever ya want on top of that. Eat clean food first though.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon View Post
    just so you know
    If you go from 6'2 180lbs with some fat you say, then wanna drop to 9% BF before bulking, you'll look like someone from a concentration camp
    Not trying to insult ya, just telling ya as it is
    nah, I won't look that bad. I was 6'2" 140 my freshman year of college -- now that was concentration camp skinny!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon View Post
    Better approach would be a 'clean' bulk. Eat anything good for ya that you see, and whatrever ya want on top of that. Eat clean food first though.
    Wouldn't matter if I ate crappy or clean--either way if I ate everything in sight I would get fat pretty fast (trust me, I can eat). I am planning a slow, calorie controlled, 6 month, 25lb bulk once I drop my 10 though.

The plan was to lose about 15 pounds over the next couple months before putting on 30. The hope was that by the time I got down to around 140 the gut would be gone or much less. I've been working out for the past two years and started doing more reps and less weight recently in hopes of keeping a fair amount of muscle and forcing most of my weight loss to come from the gut. The basic idea is try try and start with a clean slate and hope when I start gaining that the pounds come on proportionally.

I lost four pounds last week so I'm down to 151, although I realize the first few pounds are easy because it's water weight. I've basically been doing more cardio and eating less as well as a little more healthy. I've also started doing some ab exercises, which I hadn't done previously (could use some suggestions on this front).

I'm not going to worry about how I'm going to put on weight until later (more food/weight gainer/combination), but do I have the right idea so far for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks in advance.
    My journal may help you.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyarms View Post
    nah, I won't look that bad. I was 6'2" 140 my freshman year of college -- now that was concentration camp skinny!

Wouldn't matter if I ate crappy or clean--either way if I ate everything in sight I would get fat pretty fast (trust me, I can eat). I am planning a slow, calorie controlled, 6 month, 25lb bulk once I drop my 10 though.
    it makes a huge difference if you eat clean or dirty. You have a gut from eating poorly. If you eat clean and keep hitting the weights, you'll see a huge difference.

I had a friend in HS who was just as you described yourself, he was super-skinny... but he ate lots of pizza, pastas, drank too much pop & beer, and he went from being a skinny kid like you were at 140 to having a gut like you do now. eat chicken breasts, tuna, salmon, go to the recipe section and check out some ideas.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

First, I hate the term "hardgainer". It's a BS excuse for someone who is not eating enough and not lifting heavy weights with anough intensity.

Second, don't even think about trying to drop another 15 lbs to "lose the gut". It's only going to waste your time in your goal to get a decent body. Lifting heavy and eating right is what will help you achieve your goal. Read the sticky "What a Bodybuilder Eats" under the Diet and Nutrition forum. Make sure you drink plenty of milk, eat nuts, and lean meat. Start squatting, deadlifting, and benching HEAVY, and throw some dips, pullups, and rows in there, too for good measure. If you want a structured plan, try WBB 1.1 or BGB (search if you don't know what they are), or check out my journal and adjust the weights as necessary. You WILL get stronger and a better body by doing these things.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by DeHartD View Post
    it makes a huge difference if you eat clean or dirty. You have a gut from eating poorly. If you eat clean and keep hitting the weights, you'll see a huge difference.

I had a friend in HS who was just as you described yourself, he was super-skinny... but he ate lots of pizza, pastas, drank too much pop & beer, and he went from being a skinny kid like you were at 140 to having a gut like you do now. eat chicken breasts, tuna, salmon, go to the recipe section and check out some ideas.
    No, a calorie is a calorie--If you eat 10,000 cals worth of healthy food vs. 10,000 cals worth of mcdonalds every day you will have the same size gut in a year. Junk food just tends to have a lot higher cals in it than healthier foods (lots of sat. fats) which is why people attribute getting fat to it.

No, a calorie is a calorie--If you eat 10,000 cals worth of healthy food vs. 10,000 cals worth of mcdonalds every day you will have the same size gut in a year. Junk food just tends to have a lot higher cals in it than healthier foods (lots of sat. fats) which is why people attribute getting fat to it.
    Great Analysis!

I read your comments on the other thread about cardio/resistance training. you're obviously inexperienced, the experienced lifters on this site have lots to offer, from what works and what doesn't work from their experiences.
    Last edited by DeHartD; 08-24-2007 at 09:41 AM.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Have you ever heard of "nutrient partitioning"? There is a BIG difference between eating 10,000 (or 3,000, or 5,000) calories of all sugar and eating 10,000 (or 3k, or 5k) calories with most of it being protein and fats and a small part carbs including simple sugars. A lot of depends on metabolism and on current body compostition as well, which will determine greatly whether those calories are stored as fat or are used to build muscle.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Great Analysis!
    Thank you!

...the experienced lifters on this site have lots to offer, from what works and what doesn't work from their experiences.
    Yes, they do have lots to offer, and I have spent a lot of time reading their advice. I think that more than one experienced lifter might agree with me regarding a calorie being a calorie?

Have you ever heard of "nutrient partitioning"? There is a BIG difference between eating 10,000 (or 3,000, or 5,000) calories of all sugar and eating 10,000 (or 3k, or 5k) calories with most of it being protein and fats and a small part carbs including simple sugars. A lot of depends on metabolism and on current body compostition as well, which will determine greatly whether those calories are stored as fat or are used to build muscle.
    (Cough...law of thermodynamics...cough)
    You can find studies that support both theories...I just happen to be of the school of thought that a calorie is a calorie.

Anyway, it was not my intention to hijack this thread to debate something that has been debated a million times on this site already...apologies to the OP.
    Last edited by monkeyarms; 08-24-2007 at 11:51 AM.

if u build your chest gut becomes less noticable

Thank you!

Yes, they do have lots to offer, and I have spent a lot of time reading their advice. I think that more than one experienced lifter might agree with me regarding a calorie being a calorie?

(Cough...law of thermodynamics...cough)
    You can find studies that support both theories...I just happen to be of the school of thought that a calorie is a calorie.

Anyway, it was not my intention to hijack this thread to debate something that has been debated a million times on this site already...apologies to the OP.
    A calorie or group of calories digested from a protein shake after a workout will help you build more muscle than if you ate the same amount of calories post workout from a bag of Double Stuf Oreo Cookies. There are other contributing factors in food besides calories that affect you changing the shape of your body for better or worse.

If you ate 3,000 calories a day of only Tuna/chicken breast and whey protein, you're claiming that would have the same affect on your body as eating 3,000 calories of McDonald's Big Macs and fries? good luck with that.
    Last edited by DeHartD; 08-24-2007 at 12:38 PM.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

In case I read too quickly and missed it, lift heavy with low reps for cutting, not light with high reps. Drop calories a bit and keep the iron on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzee View Post
    if u build your chest gut becomes less noticable
    That's my theory! hehehe.

I can't imagine what kind of a guy you have at that weight. I have almost 70 pounds on you and I HAVE A GUT! Not you. hehehe. No way. Maybe a pooch, but not a gut.

Your muscles will firm up with lifting and what appears to be a gut is likely just non-toned muscle. Once it firms up I bet you won't notice. hehehe.

And a bigger chest and shoulders will make a difference - as will big lats. Don't lose the ten pounds... just start gaining... and you'll find it's easier to build muscle than doing it the other way around.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the advice. And the term "hardgainer" is not BS. You'd know it if you were one. That's not to say it's impossible to put on pounds, but it definitely is a lot harder to put it on my arms and legs than it is for some people.

And it's true for those of you that have an actual gut. Mine may be more along the lines of a "pooch" as someone put it, but when you compare it to the rest of my body it seems pretty big.

In any case, I've decided to start bulking. I recently read an article saying that genetics play a big role in any attempt at flat abs, and that for some people the first place fat goes is the stomach and chest, which seems to be me. If at 5'10, 150 I still am not incredibly close to a flat stomach, chances are it won't be at 140. Then you start getting into a really unhealthy body fat %.

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    First, I hate the term "hardgainer". It's a BS excuse for someone who is not eating enough and not lifting heavy weights with anough intensity.
    And I hate people who think that the term 'hardgainer' is simply an excuse.

It IS real. Sure, many people who don't know the art of bodybuilding will use it as an excuse. But then again, there are others who know they are hardgainers and see it as just another reason to eat more then the average bodybuilder. Its a common stereotype, but not all of us use it as an excuse. You wouldn't see anyone calling out a guy for not eating enough if he said he had an eating disorder.

I'm not trying to get in an argument, just wanted to get my point across. I dont like stereotypes.

I apologize for the off topic-ness