The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Patz back up in this bitch, lol - good deal.

A little hard to read the workouts, but ill be watching.

Thanks guys. Hope it's interesting. Like I said, weights are low for a while. Rob..I'll follow it. Coke..ypu are correct..lol I'll try to make them a bit easier to read. This usually comes from my phone though. [QUOTE=mrelwooddowd;2557037]

Mon - WOD 21,18,15,12,9,6,3

KB Swing (53lb)
    Push-up

600m run x 3

5/3/1

BENCH

70x5
    90x5
    105x3
    130x5
    150x5
    5x10@90lb

DB Row

5x10 @45lb

**not all workout comments will be this long..lol**

Tough day. Not accustomed to this much volume, but the pushups alone really fatigued my chest. The sprints (if you can call what I did a sprint) were a welcome loosen-up before the bench sets. After all of it, the 150x5 was tough but I got it. The burnout sets were just enough to wrap it all up.

Overall it was a pretty good first day. *Also managed to get my PWO shake in, and 2 tablespoons of fish oil. * *Doing my press sets tomorrow. Low rep hang and power cleans first, then high rep back squats and toes to bar in the WOD.*

Hopefully (if I can survive all this volume) I'll lean out a bit over these next few weeks. I'm doing fine on my chosen diet and now working on portion control which seems to already be working. I'm also hoping that if I continue with all the volume my body will adapt and I won't get so sore all the time.

We shall see..

Weight today should be about 201. Saw 200 one day last week. Lowest since 1999. :o
    Last edited by Patz; 05-07-2012 at 03:11 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Isn't PWO consumption one of the most important things preached at a CrossFit box? I know the one I visit is religious about it.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

It's hard for me to eat anything after a tough wod, usually wait an hour before my stomach is ready.

That kind of workout looks sweet man. How long did the swings take? I did 7x9 with the same weight the other day and it crushed me.

25g Protein/25g Carb Pre Workout...50g/50g (gatorade) post...Always worked well for me.

Nice volume man. Good shit.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Rob, they definitely do preach it. Our owner is a nutritionist/dietician. He does lectures but I've never made it to one. I know I should do the recovery stuff, but I've never been real good about it. I always figured before that I wasn't bulking anyway, but I do notice it helps with soreness. I've been drinking close to a gallon of water a day now for a couple months or so, and trying to bring a scoop of whey for PWO. I also take about 10g of fish oil a day, along with Microlactin, which has helped me in the past..and a slew of other vitamins daily. It's got me feeling my best in years..maybe ever.

Bako..the swings were easy. I never put the bell down. The Rx was the 70lb bell, but I'm only just back to getting into KB swings so I'm still doing the 53.

Pushups kill me. We have to release the load on the hands at the bottm end, so I can't even get 20 without stopping. It was 80 hand release pushups overall though, so I was worthless after 30 or so. hopefully I'll see some pushup improvement during this 5/3/1. 4 weeks isn't real long though. We're going to Disney World next weekend for 6 days. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get these workouts in or not. My wife is cool with the gym, but watching kids in a resort that size will be a big job.

Cbubs..what are you eating for those per and post workout meals?

WOD today

21-15-9
    135 Back Squat
    Toes to Bar

7:07.

One of the kids was sick so I didn't get to the gym. I have the gear to do it at home, so I went for it. My ceiling is only a few inches above my pullup bar (built into my power rack) so I did Knees to Elbows. Tough workout.

I was short on time this morning so I'll be doing the 5/3/1 press sets after work. I'll be doing them all seated because of the ceiling height.

50x5
    60x5
    70x3
    80x5
    90x5
    105x5

5x10 @ 60lbs

5x10 Chins (I'll just max each set since I can't do 10 consecutively.

G'day all..

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Isn't PWO consumption one of the most important things preached

ACk pththbthhhh.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Preworkout I'm usually taking in a scoop of protein, some crystal light or small bit of gatorade, 5g creatine, 6g beta alanine. Post workout I just keep it nice and simple. Two scoops of protein tossed into a 32oz gatorade. Ends up being ~50-60g of protein and 40-50g of carbs post workout, immediately following my stretching. Nothing fancy, just easy.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Thanks Chubs. I decided to try something along your lines. I went with a 2 scoop shake before and after the workout, and added a bit of carbs for the PWO shake. I'll adjust this some as I get accustomed to it. I was afraid I'd puke but I felt fine, and really just more energetic in-general.

We've had some coaching changes at the gym recently. You'll notice the programmed WOD is very often including a heavy lift, followed by a met-con. I'm enjoying this, I must say. It's making it more difficult to work the 5/3/1 stuff in, but I think I'm progressing in strength either way. I'll just keep working stuff in as I can and see how it goes.

Did the 5/3/1 Press sets on Thursday, after a regular WOD. As follows...

WOD - 5/10/12
    Strict Press 3x3x3x3

Push Press 3x3x3x3

Push Jerk 3x3x3x3

All sets at 115. My jerk sucks. I have such trouble committing to getting under the bar, much less remembering to lock out before I hit the bottom of the squat. Just stayed at 115 since it was easy and I could practice technique.

5/3/1 Press sets

50x5
    60x5
    70x3
    80x5
    90x5
    105x5
    3x10 @ 60lbs

3x5 Chins/Pullups

WOD 5/14/12

6 Rounds
    4 Front Squat @ 145 (Power Clean into rack position)
    8 Handstand Pushups ( I did them to a height of 2 AB Mats)
    12 Kipping Pullups

Took 17:25. Not too awful on the time, considering it was 24 FS, 48 HSPU and 72 Pullups

5/3/1 Press Sets (Press again since it was a shoulder-intensive WOD beforehand)

45 x 10
    65 x 3
    85x5
    105x3
    125x3

125 x 3 was pretty easy considering all the shoulder fatigure I had. 135 x 1 is my PR over the last couple years, so I think I'll smash that after 4 weeks. We'll see. It'd be nice to press something halfway decent.

Weight is still around 203. Saw a video of myself from a vacation 2 years ago at roughly the same weight, and I'm significantly leaner. I like that.

5/3/1 Journal

Thanks Chubs. I decided to try something along your lines. I went with a 2 scoop shake before and after the workout, and added a bit of carbs for the PWO shake. I'll adjust this some as I get accustomed to it. I was afraid I'd puke but I felt fine, and really just more energetic in-general.

We've had some coaching changes at the gym recently. You'll notice the programmed WOD is very often including a heavy lift, followed by a met-con. I'm enjoying this, I must say. It's making it more difficult to work the 5/3/1 stuff in, but I think I'm progressing in strength either way. I'll just keep working stuff in as I can and see how it goes.

Did the 5/3/1 Press sets on Thursday, after a regular WOD. As follows...

WOD - 5/10/12
    Strict Press 3x3x3x3

Push Press 3x3x3x3

Push Jerk 3x3x3x3

All sets at 115. My jerk sucks. I have such trouble committing to getting under the bar, much less remembering to lock out before I hit the bottom of the squat. Just stayed at 115 since it was easy and I could practice technique.

5/3/1 Press sets

50x5
    60x5
    70x3
    80x5
    90x5
    105x5
    3x10 @ 60lbs

3x5 Chins/Pullups

WOD 5/14/12

6 Rounds
    4 Front Squat @ 145 (Power Clean into rack position)
    8 Handstand Pushups ( I did them to a height of 2 AB Mats)
    12 Kipping Pullups

Took 17:25. Not too awful on the time, considering it was 24 FS, 48 HSPU and 72 Pullups

5/3/1 Press Sets (Press again since it was a shoulder-intensive WOD beforehand)

45 x 10
    65 x 3
    85x5
    105x3
    125x3

125 x 3 was pretty easy considering all the shoulder fatigure I had. 135 x 1 is my PR over the last couple years, so I think I'll smash that after 4 weeks. We'll see. It'd be nice to press something halfway decent.

Weight is still around 203. Saw a video of myself from a vacation 2 years ago at roughly the same weight, and I'm significantly leaner. I like that.

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Very nice, that's what it's all about!

Thanks buddy! I hope it continues.

WOD

Hang Snatch

3x3x3x3

45 x 3
    75 x 3
    105 x 4
    105 x 3
    95 x 5

I missed on some of those reps. The weight is easy but my form sucks. I tend to catch it way behind my shoulders, so I bend forward to compensate and lose it. Not a big deal. Most people suck at snatch anyway..lol

Immediately went into..

12 minute AMRAP

400m run
    30 Squats

I got up to 21 squats in my 4th round. Not too bad.

Woke up today with ZERO leg soreness after all those squats yesterday. That's very odd for me. I hope it's because of the pre-workout and post-workout shakes. If it is, this could really help me in the future. bigtime.

Did 50 sit-ups afterward.

/fin

5/3/1 Journal

Awesome workouts, I like the new stuff you're doing.

Have you been following regionals? I find my self becoming a huge fan of the sport and the athletes. Almost an NFL type enthusiasm but instead of rooting for the broncos, its Froning, Spealler, etc. Lol.

Like the new programming, change can indeed be good at times.

Thanks guys. No soreness today either, despite yesterday having 111 squats and a mile of runing in 12 minutes.

Yeah, Bako I watched regionals this past weekend. It was Froning, Holmberg, and Dan Bailey's region so world records were broken several times. Dan Bailey did Diane in 1:32. 90 reps in 92 seconds! Unbelievable, and especially since Spealler broke the same record the week before at 1:53. These guys are just ridiculous. I think Froning broke 3 records as well.

That stuff DOES get pretty exciting--especially when you've done all the movements and understand just how fit and athletic these guys are.

Going to Disney World with the wife and kids starting Friday. Gonna try to get in and workout tomorrow and post it up. After that, I doubt I'll get one in until I get home. Gonna be a hectic (but fun) week.

5/3/1 Journal

Disney was a blast. I didn't workout, but I did PR in the Farmer's Walk with a 60 pound kid in my arms. About 1/2 mile..lol

Workouts from the last couple days.

Tuesday - Deadlift 5x5x3x3Worked up to 205 x 5. Back is getting stronger but I'm not pushing it yet. It was also kinda sore from a week of lugging kids around and sitting on plastic bus seats.

Also did some pressing. Did a 5/3/1 style workout. Don't know if the strict 5/3/1 routine is gonna fit my workouts very well, so I'm trying to get them in as best I can. Might not be perfect, but anything I do right now will help.

75x10
    80 x 5
    90 x 5
    105 x 5
    75x10
    75x10

between the last few sets I did static bar hangs to failure. I need to be doing these. Grip endurance hinders me on pullups and toes to bar quite a bit.

40 seconds
    33 seconds
    30 seconds
    27 seconds

Wednesday

WOD

800m run

followed by 8 rounds

8 ring Dips
    8 Burpees

another 800m run

took me 26:37. Most of it was ring dips. I'm not great on them. Had to use a skinny assistance band under one knee. Still VERY tough.

After that, we did tabata situps (20 seconds ME, 10 seconds off, 8 rounds)

Then I did some bench pressing.

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Disney was a blast.
    Awesome man, that's one helluva getaway!

Thought you were gone! Good workouts.

lol..thanks fellas. I was gone, but not any farther than Florida! Had a great time. Disney really is a first class operation, and especially if you stay at a resort on their property.

WOD

20 minute AMRAP. Number increases by 1 rep on each movement. Each set must be done unbroken or that movement must be started over for that particular set.

1 Deadlift @ 95lbs
    1 Hang Clean
    1 Overhead Squat

I made it to round 8 then dropped my 6th OHS in that round. Had to do that set of 8 over. I struggle wtih OHS because of flexibility in the shoulders and fatigue on the lockout. When time was up I'd managed to get through 8 full rounds, then did my deadlifts and hang cleans. I tried to get in 1 OHS in the last few seconds but dropped it right on my head. Felt great. The guy beside me was bleeding on his shins and nose..lol He's 57 too, so I consider him a badass.

After the WOD, I did..

3 rounds

25 double unders
    10 30" box jumps
    30 second hang from the pullup bar

I didn't rush through that. Just took my time--especially the box jumps. That's a height you don't wanna risk missing..lol I think I actually did 35 doubles on the last set.

Also did 50 double unders for time. Got them in 30 seconds flat, and I missed rep 36. Pretty good I think. My rotation is getting so fast that my jumps aren't much higher than I jump for singles. Less fatigue will = more reps, and much faster.

5/3/1 Journal

Late into today's WOD. I lol'd at the veins onmy forehead. I've never seen that before now. I saw him come up to take the pic and I was near failure and I'm thinking "don't look douchey. look tough" LOL

5/3/1 Journal

I've been posting in your journals, but WBB's spam filter is blocking my posts until moderator approved. So, whent hey finally show up in your journals it can be a couple days back because it posts to the time and date I actually made the post. So anyway..keep an eye out for me until I get the filter thing solved. It only happens from one particular computer..lol

Warm-up

200m Run
    20 Jumping Jacks
    20 Squats
    200m run

WOD

5 Rounds

400m Run
    30 Squat
    20 Walking Lunge
    10 Box Jump

Took 29:30.
    I should have done that much faster. We got to the first set of box jumps all around the same time. I have my headphones in but still hear a crash and the sound of human flesh smacking the mat..lol A girl fell on her first jump. So being the observant guy I am, I decide to do a test jump away from the box and my legs barely got 6 inches off the ground..lol It took 20 seconds or so to get loose enough to get up there, and the whole set took an eternity. The next rounds weren't as bad, but I got pretty far behind and ended up last. Probably still a little endurance lost from vacation and such. Still a tough WOD.

I did a few pullups afterward but my back was absolutely on fire so I spent the rest of my time setting PR's in bullshitting and general tomfoolery. The back has been stiff since getting back from vacation then deadlifting my first day back, and I've been working OT some which keeps me from getting the time I need to stretch and mobilize at night. It was hurting bad enough a couple hours ago that I almost took a vacation day, but I'd go home and lay on the floor and within 60 seconds I'd have 100lbs of kids jumping on me.

5/3/1 Journal

Not much to say today. My back pain is actually mostly in my hip and radiating around the hip bone. I'm positive the lunges caused that. Hopefully it'll dissipate soon.

WOD

Today was 1x1x1 on Press and Push Press

Worked up to a few reps of 125 on Press. Not my best recently. I'll be working on that though.

Worked up to a PR on Push Press of 195. Pretty happy with that. Because I was taking it easy for a while, it's been a long time since I've PR'd with a barbell. It also was when pretty fatigued, and it really wasn't terribly hard to get up there. I dropped the first one but only because I let it get in front of me and couldn't recover.

After that..

Tabata Sit-ups and Push-ups alternated, so it was 8 minutes instead of 4 total.

Then did a set of 20 Slam Ball with 40lb Med Ball, then 4 sets of 5 @ max output. These are a great exercise.
    Last edited by Patz; 06-06-2012 at 03:58 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

Killer shot of you, carry on bro.

Thanks Coke. I think that was about rep.....36? It was hurtin'..lol

Took yesterday off since I was off work as well.

WOD today..

Front Squat

5 x 5 x 5 x 2 x 2

75x5 95 x 5 115 x 5 135 x 5 155 x 5 155 x 5 175 x 2 195xMiss

Nothing special. Still working on getting strength back after the barbell layoff. It just felt good to be actually lifting something, and actually got more than I expected.

Did a 45 second bar hang, then a few 30 second hollow holds.

Thas about it, yo..probably won't be doing a workout again until Monday unless the wife wants to hit the YMCA.

Later all..

5/3/1 Journal