The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog's

Dog's

I have decided to get a dog and wanted to see some opinions on breeds.

I am open to all options and at the moment have no favorites. So sound off on what breeds you guys and gals like and your reason why.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pitbulls

they may be small but they're tough and built like a brick ****house
    and they seem fun to play with

In order for you to pick a dog, it would be more helpful if you tell us more about yourself - where you live (apartment vs farm) what kind of time you have, etc.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I have a staffordshire Terrier. If you can get over all the media hype about them being aggressive and actually get one you'll understand they're some of the best dogs around. If I'm not mistaken, an offbread of the Staffordshire terrier was the second safest dog to own in England. It's considered to be one of the most loyal and obedient dogs known to man. My staffordshire terrier is very energetic, is very kid friendly (this is what the England comment was about), and they're extremely strong. They're outgoing, and temper isn't a problem. They have a great circulatory system (so they keep their body temperatures regulated) unlike many heavier dogs and dogs that have long hair. They have short, stubby hair so they're coat is easy to maintain. I know I love my dog more than almost anything in the world. He stays out on our couch at night and protects the house, but he's very accepting of other people.

A staffordshire terrier resembles and is very closely linked with the pitbull breed. However, there are different bloodlines. Which is very important if you're looking for a dog that is pure and you want something that will live healthy.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 01-19-2008 at 09:25 AM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Pitbull!!!

Do you care if it is a Large or Small breed? Do you have little children? Will it be confined in a small area? Lots of these things need to be decided before you start searching breeds.

My dog is my avatar. She is Akita/Pitbull. I love her to death, but she can be a handful. She's like 75 lbs, but strong as **** and has a real strong bite.

A small dog would be much easier to care for, but a lot of times they need more attention.

Breeds like Golden Retievers and Labs are great family dogs. Very loyal and good with kids.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

I think it's understood by pitbull owners alike that we own the best dogs. They're the most loyal and obedient dogs you'll ever find. If you want a dog that will care for you in the most sacrificial way it's the dog to pick. They'll make you work to put them in line, but when you do they're by your side forever.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    I think it's understood by pitbull owners alike that we own the best dogs. They're the most loyal and obedient dogs you'll ever find. If you want a dog that will care for you in the most sacrificial way it's the dog to pick. They'll make you work to put them in line, but when you do they're by your side forever.
    :withstupi

Yet, because of some very bad people, they are the breed that gets the worst rap.
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    :withstupi

Yet, because of some very bad people, they are the breed that gets the worst rap.
    Yeah, it's quite the shame. Such a beautiful breed is discriminated against because of intolerable humans and owners that don't deserve a dog that possesses such great qualities. I won't own any other dog. And I'll find the reports to back my statements.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanstaffordshire.htm

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/staffor...llterrier.html

Read the description of the staffordshirre bull terrier in the second link. One of two breeds with such a high standard of dedication to its owner.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 08-21-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    In order for you to pick a dog, it would be more helpful if you tell us more about yourself - where you live (apartment vs farm) what kind of time you have, etc.
    Well I am 25 own my own house and live by myself for most of the year. My house is right beside a rather large park.
    I live pretty far North so the winters are long and cold but I still do allot of outdoor activities when I can.

As for the size; I am not picky but I want a dog that can handle the winters here, Husky would be the logical choice but I have actually been giving thought to Newfoundland. I have given some thought to a Pitt but I am not sure how one would handle long hikes in the winter.

Your best bet is to go to a few local animal shelters and meet the dogs. Go in with a couple ideas of what you are looking for, but keep an open mind. When I adopted my dog, she was not my first choice breed-wise, but she ended up being the best dog ever for me.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    As for the size; I am not picky but I want a dog that can handle the winters here, Husky would be the logical choice but I have actually been giving thought to Newfoundland. I have given some thought to a Pitt but I am not sure how one would handle long hikes in the winter.
    If you throw a little coat on them and some mittens like we have for ours they'll go anywhere you go. Well, I think it would depend on how cold it gets. I know our dog is just fine outside when it is 10 degree Fahrenheit.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Newfoundlanders are kickass dogs.

I have an australian shepherd. She is the smartest dog I have ever met. We honestly believe she understands some english. If she is dirty from playing outside we tell her to meet us at the side and she'll be there before we get there. She loves playing in the snow (my parents take her to the golf course every night in the winter for about an hour so she can run around). One of the main problems in the winter is the ice getting stuck round her paws since she's a long haired dog. Fur is water resistant (just beads right off, even when she swims). That is definitly my vote. Collies are also awesome dogs. Same with golden retrievers. ****, all dogs are sweet though .
    Last edited by Detard; 08-21-2007 at 05:30 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    If you throw a little coat on them and some mittens like we have for ours they'll go anywhere you go. Well, I think it would depend on how cold it gets. I know our dog is just fine outside when it is 10 degree Fahrenheit.
    Winters around here are usually between -25C and -35C . So thats between -13F and -31F.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Newfoundlanders are kickass dogs.

I have an australian shepherd. She is the smartest dog I have ever met. We honestly believe she understands some english. If she is dirty from playing outside we tell her to meet us at the side and she'll be there before we get there. She loves playing in the snow (my parents take her to the golf course every night in the winter for about an hour so she can run around). One of the main problems in the winter is the ice getting stuck round her paws since she's a long haired dog. Fur is water resistant (just beads right off, even when she swims). That is definitly my vote. Collies are also awesome dogs. Same with golden retrievers. ****, all dogs are sweet though .
    My cousin has an Australian Shepherd; they are great dogs and pretty smart. I have also given thought to getting one but itís not easy finding a reputable breeder around here.

In my limted dog experience, I would agree: Go to the pound with an idea of what breeds you might like (single with room to go outside and active makes me think some sort of lab or retreiver if you want a big dog, but honestly, it's pretty open), and pick out the one that fits the bill.

Do your research on breeds, though. There are lots of cool dogs that may need more than you can provide (border collies come to mind - super cool, super smart dogs that will chew everything in your house apart just because they need something to do.)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

(border collies come to mind - super cool, super smart dogs that will chew everything in your house apart just because they need something to do.)
    Australian shepherds are the same kind of breed as border collies. Really REALLY hyper. Non-stop 24/7
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

i want Snoopy
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit View Post
    i want Snoopy
    One of the biggest disappointments in my life was when I found out that beagles don't look like Snoopy.
    Soprano = The Sopranos

(border collies come to mind - super cool, super smart dogs that will chew everything in your house apart just because they need something to do.)
    My dog is part border collie, part german shepherd. So not only does she chew everything, she has a strong mouth and can finish bones in less than an hour. She is one of the best dogs ever, even compared to all of the dogs I grew up with. And she is a shelter dog to make it even better.
    Soprano = The Sopranos

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche_Soprano View Post
    Your best bet is to go to a few local animal shelters and meet the dogs. Go in with a couple ideas of what you are looking for, but keep an open mind. When I adopted my dog, she was not my first choice breed-wise, but she ended up being the best dog ever for me.
    As a humane society volunteer dog-walker I would also highly recommend your local animal shelter. You may find some mixed-breed dogs there which can turn out to be a desirable mix of traits. I've also seen folks bring in purebreds. Some shelters have breed specific waiting lists you can sign up for to be contacted if they get a dog of that kind.
    Lynn

"When life gives you lemons, just say 'no thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Any breed of collie, very smart and reliable. They are great gaurd dogs and even better family dogs. Only thing is they need a lot of walking. But were into that stuff so why not.

Just to back up what others have said, I adopted my dog from an animal shelter also. Those dogs deserve a home.

And your winters are freaking cold!!!!!
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

As much as I would love to recommend a chihuahua, I'm afraid it wouldn't last more than 5 minutes into your winters there
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    As much as I would love to recommend a chihuahua, I'm afraid it wouldn't last more than 5 minutes into your winters there
    lol yah plus it would probably be eaten by a bear.