Thread: Form Checks: ME Sumo and ME 2-Board Bench

Form Checks: ME Sumo and ME 2-Board Bench

Again, before I start, thanks to all of you that helped me out the first time around. I really tried to listened to what you guys had to say about my form, so hopefully your breath has not been wasted.

For bench, I tried putting my feet flat on the floor, incorporated more lat work and tried my best to arch up onto my traps. Here's the 2-Board @ 325.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT234rDV4J4

I have a question - when planting my feet down (as you can see from my setup), my arch goes down a lot due to the decreased distance my legs have to situate themselves in. In other words, my arch-with-heels-down is smaller than my arch-with-toes-only. Is this something I simply have to train up? I'm a tall guy so my legs are pretty long.

Also, how much more do people typically 2-Board press? I need to plan out my attempts for a full ROM ME in 2 weeks.

Here's my sumo. Form advice? Since I have long legs, it's hard for me to bring my hips down low enough - any advice to train that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXi9tX7G-hA

Thanks again, gurus.
    Last edited by IZich; 08-24-2007 at 12:55 AM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Damn, you're fkn tall. On the bench set up, you have the arch, but wherever your feet and butt are at the beginning, you gotta keep them planted. You got your arch set up great, but then you slid your butt forward and fiddled your feet around. You almost got it, just keep practicing.

The weights almost crushed your foot, that woulda sucked, hahah.

Banned
    Bench - Like Bako said, once you have your feet planted, don't move them. Drive your feet into the ground for the entire lift. Do you feel like you have good leg drive with your feet flat on the floor? Play around with the foot position to see what feels the best. Stability, power, and very uncomfortable. Here's how I used to set-up.

http://www.ironasylumgym.com/imperium2006/index.html

Look on the right side under Matt Rhodes 550 bench for the video. I moved my feet too much on this one, but you'll see the set-up

DL - Your feet are too wide. Take the same stance or maybe a little closer than your squat stance. When you go down to the bar, squat down and "reach" for the bar. Don't just grab it and set the hips after. Set the hips first, then grab the bar and pull. Your hips are a little weak. That's why they popped up first and you had to hitch it at the top. Work on the Power Squat and/or Olympic squats to build up your hip strength.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks Bako and Rhodes.

Rhodes - I don't feel as good of a drive with my feet flat. I think today I'll try setting up on my toes like I did last time, but instead I'll spread my feet out instead of tucking them in for more stability. I'll repost with how I feel about that.

I'll study your video. Why did you say that's how you used to set up? Did you change your setup since then?

For DL - when you say "setting the hips", you basically mean putting myself in the starting positiong before I grab the bar right? I'll incorporate either Power Squats or Olympic squats into my routines. One problem - whats a power squat?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by IZich; 08-24-2007 at 11:50 AM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

Banned
    Go to EliteFTS and search it. It's a machine that your gym might have.

As far as the DL, you're right. Try to squat down to the bar first and reach for the bar once you've squatted down to it.

My set-up has changed because of knee and groin problems. I'm no my toes and tucked way under. i don't get as much leg drive, but I'm not hurting myself anymore.

yeah- one other thing. Those shoes suck for deadlifting. Get a shoe with no heel. Sumo especially you wanna sit back, shoes like that will put you on your toes. Don't rush it when you still learning sumo- like Rhodes says, sit back like a box squat, you look like you're pulling like a conventional deadlifter in sumo stance.

Ya, hips first. Watch CR's vids. You don't wanna drop down into a full squat movement, just a half squat sort of thing.

At least I think... that's what I do....

Quote Originally Posted by minotaur70 View Post
    yeah- one other thing. Those shoes suck for deadlifting. Get a shoe with no heel. Sumo especially you wanna sit back, shoes like that will put you on your toes. Don't rush it when you still learning sumo- like Rhodes says, sit back like a box squat, you look like you're pulling like a conventional deadlifter in sumo stance.
    Good thinking. I was debating whether or not to buy Nike Free's, but I guess this puts me over the edge. Foot locker is having a 30% off sale this weekend so I'll pick up a pair.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200

If you can get away with it in your gym just deadlift in your socks. If not wrestling shoes, rock climbing shoes or good ole chuck taylors.

Wannabebig Member
    If youre gonna go in just socks, watch your feet. Also in your sumo, really force your knees out at the start of the lift and drive through your heels. Focus on driving head up first rather than hips.
    Weight: 250-255 Height:6'0"
    Current: 515/320/585 (unequipped)
    Goals for year end: 545/345/615 BW: 245