The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Clarian Health employee health initiative

I meant to post this a while back, but forgot until now.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/070802/au...081804238.html

What do you guys think about this? My sister works for them as a lab tech. The only problem I see is the BMI thing. They should know better than to use something as inherently flawed as BMI, but I generally agree with the idea and the reasoning behind it.

What say you, oh WBB?
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 08-24-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I guess they won't be an Equal Opportunity Employer. I would think this is discrimination for being fat or a BB.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Banned
    BMI is a crap measure for athletes but for the average sedentary schmoe it's perhaps less inaccurate, at least.

I am assuming the program is tied only to those that are on the company's health plan.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    I guess they won't be an Equal Opportunity Employer. I would think this is discrimination for being fat or a BB.
    Hey, their house, their rules. They'll employ anyone, but you best be ready to take a pay hit if you don't meet these requirements.

If it was a Federal mandate, I'd have a problem with it. As it stands, I don't have a problem because, being a healthcare provider, it would be logical that the employees should actually be healthy themselves in addition to saving money on healthcare costs.

My sister is both overweight AND a smoker. I'm probably going to end up working with her to solve the weight issue, but can't help much with the smoking since I never picked up that particular vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    BMI is a crap measure for athletes but for the average sedentary schmoe it's perhaps less inaccurate, at least.

I am assuming the program is tied only to those that are on the company's health plan.
    I'd rather see them use a BF% measurement than BMI. It'll be required to have a monthly check-in, I think. The company has a history of being rather flexible, so there may be a chance that lean athletes that don't fit in the BMI will get a pass as long as blood chemistry works out right.

I'm sure it is only the people on the health plan, but I also think that's damn near every employee...it's quite a plan they get from what my sister was telling me. Very hard to turn down.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    I'm sure it is only the people on the health plan, but I also think that's damn near every employee...it's quite a plan they get from what my sister was telling me. Very hard to turn down.
    From the article you posted: "Of the company's 13,000 employees, about 8,000 are enrolled in the company's health plan. "

I think it's a reasonable system to have in place. Maybe they should work in some kind of bodyfat percentage, but that's my only complaint. I think it's just fine that they don't want fat people working for them. It's disgusting. I think they're doing what they have to do to get the job done.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Combat Infantryman
    I can see how it will be played as discrimination, however, no one is being forced to work for Clarian.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

From the article you posted: "Of the company's 13,000 employees, about 8,000 are enrolled in the company's health plan. "
    Fair enough. Missed that. I'd still imagine you're right about it only affecting those that use the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikkstah View Post
    I can see how it will be played as discrimination, however, no one is being forced to work for Clarian.
    And I believe that's the stance that will be taken. As it stands, there's almost a year and a half until the system actually starts. There should be plenty of time for people to get their acts together.

I've posted this on another forum NOT populated by meatheads. I'm curious to see if there's a difference in opinion between the groups.

We all know somebody is going to try to pass a lawsuit on this one for discrimination. Too bad it propbably wouldn't work out, because it is a fine, not being denied a job.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

There will be. People just haven't quite figured out that instead of sitting there with the channel muted during commercials you could do 10 push ups, body weight squats, or sit ups instead.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Banned
    I think a far better plan is simply to more accurately assess health levels and concerns, and make that part of the employee's portion of the cost of the health plan.

There's no reason (in my opinion) a company, or one's fellow health plan members, should have to subsidize the poor life choices of the smokers, the obese and others that do silly things.

Invasion of privacy? So find a health plan provider that doesn't require physical checks on weight/smoking/etc. and pay the appropriate premium. You want low cost health insurance? Be healthy.

I think a far better plan is simply to more accurately assess health levels and concerns, and make that part of the employee's portion of the cost of the health plan.

There's no reason (in my opinion) a company, or one's fellow health plan members, should have to subsidize the poor life choices of the smokers, the obese and others that do silly things.

Invasion of privacy? So find a health plan provider that doesn't require physical checks on weight/smoking/etc. and pay the appropriate premium. You want low cost health insurance? Be healthy.
    You don't think that a secondary concern might be that having in-shape employees will reflect positively on the company's image too?

While it's true that the business of business is business, I have to imagine that they're not stupid and that putting out that sort of an image has to be a positive step for said business. Given a choice, do you think the average person would want health advice from Kirstie Alley or Christy Brinkley?

Combat Infantryman
    Given the statistics, the average person is content to not take health advice from anything but the potato chip bag.
    U.S. Army Infantry

Given the statistics, the average person is content to not take health advice from anything but the potato chip bag.
    I think it's partially because there isn't much of a choice, but I could be wrong.

Combat Infantryman
    We all seem to have learned the way. I can only speak for myself, but it wasn't particularly hard to get into shape, it just took effort, patience, and a little sacrifice.
    U.S. Army Infantry

We all seem to have learned the way. I can only speak for myself, but it wasn't particularly hard to get into shape, it just took effort, patience, and a little sacrifice.
    Oh, you're completely right, but that's because people here realized that there's no magic bullet. When the public is inundated with bull**** from every side, most of it contradictory and/or incorrect, it's hard to know who to listen to.

Anyone that says "I've tried everything to lose weight" means they've tried everything except, you know, eating less and exercising. It's truly terrible that people have to be threatened with monetary penalties to get themselves healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Anyone that says "I've tried everything to lose weight" means they've tried everything except, you know, eating less and exercising. It's truly terrible that people have to be threatened with monetary penalties to get themselves healthy.
    Oh but they do try. They get a gym membership, buy new exercise clothes, and switch their traditional junk food for those 100 calorie packs. (And then sit at home every night eating the whole box of 100 calorie packs)
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Combat Infantryman
    That's true, but I think the most common sense advice I've ever got was when someone told me "If you see someone who's really in shape, just ask them what they do." Unless morbidly obese people surround themselves with nothing but other morbidly obese people, it shouldn't be too hard to ask for advice.
    U.S. Army Infantry

That's true, but I think the most common sense advice I've ever got was when someone told me "If you see someone who's really in shape, just ask them what they do." Unless morbidly obese people surround themselves with nothing but other morbidly obese people, it shouldn't be too hard to ask for advice.
    True, but if it's available, I think a better logical jump is to find someone that actually made the transformation.