Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: recently started and got hurt :(

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member ectomorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8

    recently started and got hurt :(

    Hi

    I'm tall and relatively skinny 6'3" 205 lbs and started a exercise program see attached

    I hurt my lower back i guess because of my height

    should i change my plan or adjust it?

    I'm doing that scrawny to brawny plan... is that any good?

    any advice is appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    31
    hey i just started last monday, same thing i damaged my lower back (only slight tearing). happened from the deadlift but thats not stopping me after i recover. get right back into it bro as soon as you feel better. (but if its just sore, still try to go to the gym)

    do you know how you hurt it? if its hurt i would guess improper form since you just started. but if its sore, dont worry about it

  3. #3
    Wannabebig Member ectomorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8

    bad form did it

    Quote Originally Posted by ImAnthony View Post
    hey i just started last monday, same thing i damaged my lower back (only slight tearing). happened from the deadlift but thats not stopping me after i recover. get right back into it bro as soon as you feel better. (but if its just sore, still try to go to the gym)

    do you know how you hurt it? if its hurt i would guess improper form since you just started. but if its sore, dont worry about it
    I know it was bad form for sure -- i know the moment it happened
    --- since it's 5 sets of five it's pretty heavy for me --- should i adjust the weight? i might add that it's all done with free weights --- should i do my squats on a machine will it be the same??

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    31
    well im not an expert but id say to work on the form (look for videos on youtube, practice in the mirror w/e works for you) and lower the weight next time, you know just get a feel for it. proper form on a lighter weight = much better than improper form on a heavy weight


    also about doing squats on a machine.. i think its more personal preference but normal squats with the barbell is definitely more effective. not saying the machine isnt but doing squats on the barbell is a lot better in the long run in my opinion... but thats just my 2 cents. id try and get info out of ppl more knowledgeable than me for that question

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,617
    I kinda think that the "damage" you feel in your lower back is more the result of being brand new to the deadlift and perhaps trying to do a bit too much. Give it a few days, maybe a week, and see how it feels. The next time you DL, it probably won't hurt as much the next day.

  6. #6
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by ectomorf View Post
    Hi

    I'm tall and relatively skinny 6'3" 205 lbs and started a exercise program see attached

    I hurt my lower back i guess because of my height

    should i change my plan or adjust it?

    I'm doing that scrawny to brawny plan... is that any good?

    any advice is appreciated
    You height has nothing to do with injuring your back, I am 6'6" and have never had back issues related to lifting. You problem is most likely the fact that you are new and are using a weight that does not allow you to learn the correct form for these movements.
    My suggestion is to study online how to perform the movements correctly (if you have a local trainer who is qualified they may also help) then when you feel and can see that you are performing the movement correctly proceed to add weight. There is no substitute to practicing these movements.

  7. #7
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by ectomorf View Post
    I know it was bad form for sure -- i know the moment it happened
    --- since it's 5 sets of five it's pretty heavy for me --- should i adjust the weight? i might add that it's all done with free weights --- should i do my squats on a machine will it be the same??
    Don't switch to a machine, be a student of lifting and learn how to squat properly it will pay dividends in the future.

  8. #8
    I sleep with pizza Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nobleton, Ontario
    Posts
    610
    Form first kid. Leave your ego at the door and learn the lift before you start adding plates.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

  9. #9
    GreenG mickyjune26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX (by Dallas)
    Posts
    1,515
    My deadlift was hard when i started. Once I begain doing good mornings and straight-legged deadlifts, my back, glutes and hams got a lot stronger.

    I'm 6'7" and have never had a back injury. Listen to your body during the lifts to know if it's an injury, tight muscle or what. I make sure to stretch between lifts a lot.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

  10. #10
    GreenG mickyjune26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX (by Dallas)
    Posts
    1,515
    I don't do a hard-core post-workout stretch, but just enough to keep the blood flowing the parts in workout.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

  11. #11
    Senior Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    I kinda think that the "damage" you feel in your lower back is more the result of being brand new to the deadlift and perhaps trying to do a bit too much. Give it a few days, maybe a week, and see how it feels. The next time you DL, it probably won't hurt as much the next day.
    This is bad advice. Pain is never a sign of anything good. You should know the difference between pain and just fatigued muscles that received a good workout.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •