The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

My routine. Need thoughts and help.

I'm a beginner with free weights at my home. I'm not looking to become huge, just slightly bigger. I wont say a weight because I can't guess.

But here's my routine for my upperbody:

I do 2 sets. When I get to 8 Reps of a particular weight I increase the weight. I leave one minute between the first and 2nd set, I rarely get as many out in my 2nd set, it's more for endurance I guess.

Tricep Extensions
    Bicep Curls
    Hammer Curls
    Close grip Chest press
    Shoulder Press
    Behind Head Shoulder Press (I don't know it's actual name)
    Bent Over Rows
    Upward Rows
    Deadlifts
    Chest Press Wide Grip
    Shrugs
    Lateral Raises
    1 Arm Bent Row
    1 Arm Shrugs
    Overhead Rows

I'm wondering if this is ok or do I need more exercises for different body parts? I'm thinking about dropping the "Behind the Head Shoulder Press" and the "Deadlifts" because I keep hurting my shoulder and my back from poor technique. I'm strapped for time, it takes approx. 2 hours for that routine.

I do that 3-4 times a week depending on how I feel. (I normally take a 2 day break over the weeked). Do I need a larger break?

Thanks for any help you guys and gals can give me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

it takes me an hour max for my workouts, and im not strapped for time, you do too much in one day. you need to do your compounds first, id even forget about all those isolation lifts. bi and tris will be worked enough with the rest.

the only exercises you need are

squat
    bench
    deadlift
    chinups, dips
    an overhead lift

add stuff to that if you must but that should be the base. if not your whole routine.

I would split your routine into 2 upper/lower days, where you work the lower body on one day amd the upper on the other, when i did that i worked shoulders on my lower day too.

so i had upper... bench, chins, rows, dips

lower... squat, deadlift, oh press
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

check out a premade -

WBB 1.1 or BGB - they were made by professionals, they work, most people on this site have tried them at some point in their routines.

Eat GOOD and healthy, lift heavy, pick a new routine and go go go
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by McVein View Post
    it takes me an hour max for my workouts, and im not strapped for time, you do too much in one day. you need to do your compounds first, id even forget about all those isolation lifts. bi and tris will be worked enough with the rest.

the only exercises you need are

squat
    bench
    deadlift
    chinups, dips
    an overhead lift

add stuff to that if you must but that should be the base. if not your whole routine.

I would split your routine into 2 upper/lower days, where you work the lower body on one day amd the upper on the other, when i did that i worked shoulders on my lower day too.

so i had upper... bench, chins, rows, dips

lower... squat, deadlift, oh press
    Give me some examples of that please. I dont think i include anything Overhead except standing shoulder DB presses?
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

no need to confuse things, an upper lower compound lift routine is an excellent lace to start IMO, learning all the movements and working all the muscles and shifting some nice weights too.
    I agree with McVein

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies.

A problem I have is the fact I don't have a Squat rack. I do my Squats by holding the weight low down and behind me - but my arms seem to "give in" to the heavy weight so I find I can't do many.

After doing a work out on a particular body part how long should you leave it? I am always weary that I'm doing it too much - but at the same time I don't want to do it too little...
    And how many reps should you do? For example, I used to do just 1 rep of my "routine" but I thought I might aswell go for 2. It knackers me out more and I feel the later exercises suffer because of this.

Also, are "shakes" good for you? Atm I just have my protein mix, semi-skimmed milk and Peanut Butter (no Hydrogenated fat). Before I took that shake plus olive oil and ice cream. I dropped this because I got a fat belly in 2 weeks. So I went on a cut because I'm anti-lots of abdominal fat. (I seem to store all my fat there so it can look stupid).

Thanks again, it's mucho appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by elbow View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

A problem I have is the fact I don't have a Squat rack. I do my Squats by holding the weight low down and behind me - but my arms seem to "give in" to the heavy weight so I find I can't do many.

After doing a work out on a particular body part how long should you leave it? I am always weary that I'm doing it too much - but at the same time I don't want to do it too little...
    And how many reps should you do? For example, I used to do just 1 rep of my "routine" but I thought I might aswell go for 2. It knackers me out more and I feel the later exercises suffer because of this.

Also, are "shakes" good for you? Atm I just have my protein mix, semi-skimmed milk and Peanut Butter (no Hydrogenated fat). Before I took that shake plus olive oil and ice cream. I dropped this because I got a fat belly in 2 weeks. So I went on a cut because I'm anti-lots of abdominal fat. (I seem to store all my fat there so it can look stupid).

Thanks again, it's mucho appreciated
    Then you were eating too many overall calories.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

That is way too much volume. Split up your routine. Never do anything behind your neck. Ice cream has way too much sugar.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Watchya talkn bout willis
    ^^ does that include doing standing skullcrushers behind the neck? I don't ever really do them but when I do skullcrushers thats how I do them.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    ^^ does that include doing standing skullcrushers behind the neck? I don't ever really do them but when I do skullcrushers thats how I do them.
    I don't like standing skullcrushes in general. I'm talking about pullups, presses, and pulldowns. Awful for the shoulders.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Training
    To much volume in your workout. Split it up to 3-4 days. Either do a pre made workout, 5x5, or a upper/lower split. Exercises should be compounds with maybe a couple isolated exercises included. Clean your diet up. If you're going to eat the "sweets" stay with fat free, low sugar, low carb ones.
    Starting over...

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks again all!
    To be honest I don't eat many sweets, infact hardly any, if any at all! I put ice cream in it simply for the calories - I took it out because I got too fatty.
    Is PB counted as a "sweet"? I the one I use it 93% Peanuts, the rest is oil (it has no Hydrogenated fat).
    So what is meant by too much volume? Too many exercises? Should I split what I'm doing up into lets say 2 work outs, having a mix of compound and isolation for each routine - and do 1 routine on Monday, the next on Wednesday, then back to the first for Friday etc. Or should I just drop half of the routine? Or do you mean just to 1 rep of each exercise?
    I pretty sure my leg routine sucks, I don't have hardly any exercises for it, literally 4 (one of which is squats and I can't do it too heavy because I have no rack!).

Thanks again! This is really really appreciated.

I have no squat rack either man and i cope, yeh oh dumbell press, barbell press, incline bench, seated db oh press, seated bb press etc etc.
    I agree with McVein

Front Squats with a barbell are a possibility too for your legs. Just find a weight you can clean and go from there.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    Front Squats with a barbell are a possibility too for your legs. Just find a weight you can clean and go from there.
    I wouldn't suggest cleaning a barbell for a front squat...
    People who don't know how to keep themselves healthy ought to have the decency to get themselves buried, and not waste time about it.
    Henrik Ibsen