Thread: Job issues

Job issues

Hey guys. So I need abit of advice from an outside point of view. I've been working a part time job for about 2.5 years now at a snowboard shop. The benefits are awesome (free snowboards in the winter, wholesale prices on everything else in the store..etc. Ive been making minimum wage the entire time ive worked there though and I HAVE asked for a raise but didn't get it. They let me go for august (which was good, I got most of my summer free) and said I can go back in september if I wanted. I'd have to start working more often though they said. Basically they want me to work sunday, monday and anohter week day.

Football is starting soon so that means I have practice at least 4 days a week after school. Hockey is also starting soon. I'm 17, going into grade 12. I've been told the workload in grade 12 gets harder since I gotta prepare for university and all that ****. I dont really like my co workers and since there are only 4 of us, if someone cant make it in, you basically HAVE to go in to work. Today for example, I was out getting some stuff at the mall, and around running some errands for my mom when I get a call. Dan, I need you to come into work. We have this sale going on and Ive worked every day since tuesday (the manager). I told him i'm out doing some **** and i'll come in later. He says we need you right now. I told him the earliest I can make it is 4. If i'm sick I still have to go in no matter what because only 2 people work at a time. When I broke my wrist, I had to go into work the next day instead of the hospital because the girl i was supposed to work with couldnt be alone.

My mom says keep the job, since it's flexible and its easy. I like the job since its easy as **** and I know all about skateboards and snowboards and stuff, but I hate the environment and the way they run the shop. The pay is ****, the benefits are good. The work is easy, the environment is bad. What would you guys do? Quit the job and lose the benefits/not have a job for the school year, or keep the job and just deal with the downsides of it? I have mixed thoughts.

EDIT:: A little more info. I dont really NEED the money but it's nice to have a little spending money. Since I drive my parents car, I pay for my own insurance and gas. I usually get paid for work I do around the house (building decks, laying grass, building walls, framing the basement, **** like that).
    Last edited by Detard; 08-27-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

In such a situation there are several factors I would consider first.

You mention playing sports, do you have a legitimate shot at getting a scholarship in any sport you currently play?

Highschool is easy. Can you maintain a 3.5 GPA and still work + play sports? If the answer is no, could you do that if it weren't for having to work on top of sports?

In terms of the schedule conflict, does it happen often? Is there a possibility for it to interfere with your sporting evens (really only applicable if your going to get a scholarship).

I personally worked in an environment I hated but I needed the money and I was already out of highschool trying to get **** together for college.

Do you NEED the money?

You have to evaluate this on your own. If it were me and I was going to get a scholarship for sports I'd say screw work. The money you'll save in tuition will be far more then the amount you'd make working part time over one year.

Even if it were no I'd still consider playing sports over the job if you didn't NEED the money. Those memories and experiences can't be bought and you won't get a second chance at them.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    In such a situation there are several factors I would consider first.

You mention playing sports, do you have a legitimate shot at getting a scholarship in any sport you currently play?

Highschool is easy. Can you maintain a 3.5 GPA and still work + play sports? If the answer is no, could you do that if it weren't for having to work on top of sports?

In terms of the schedule conflict, does it happen often? Is there a possibility for it to interfere with your sporting evens (really only applicable if your going to get a scholarship).

I personally worked in an environment I hated but I needed the money and I was already out of highschool trying to get **** together for college.

Do you NEED the money?

You have to evaluate this on your own. If it were me and I was going to get a scholarship for sports I'd say screw work. The money you'll save in tuition will be far more then the amount you'd make working part time over one year.

Even if it were no I'd still consider playing sports over the job if you didn't NEED the money. Those memories and experiences can't be bought and you won't get a second chance at them.
    Thanks for the response. I probably wont get a scholarship but sports are a huge thing in my life. I have a hard time maintaining a 70% average in school even out of season. Last year there were plenty of times where I had to miss a game or practice or leave early from a game to go to work. So yes, this job DOES interfere with my life and other activities. I'm not a very good student marks wise but i'm not failing.

As I said, I dont really NEED the money since I do alot of physical work for neighbours, family, friends..etc. but wouldnt have too much spending money if I didnt have a job. That's not a big deal to me really since I dont buy alot of **** anyways.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Wannabebig Member
    look for a job at ikea or some place like that (rona, home depot).

i worked part time there (ikea) and started around $12. pretty much have a set schedule since you are a student...just tell them you have classes until x time on x days and that you can only work weekends or something.

big place like that will hardly ever call you in if somebody calls in sick.

edit...why not look for a job at at gym as well? can prob. get a free membership out of it
    Last edited by Grimey; 08-27-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Scuzzbucket is numero uno Scuzzbucket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Football is starting soon so that means I have practice at least 4 days a week after school.
    My biggest regret is skipping my entire junior year of football and the first half of my senior year season... just to hold a job. Screw work. You have the rest of your life for that.

Be a teenager.
    "Always find something to fuel your growth, and know that each rep brings you closer to your goal." - Tommi Thorvildsen
    ------------------------------------------------

Combat Infantryman
    I got a job at my gym folding towels from like 12am to 4am. You don't just gotta work after school or weekends. I get a free gym membership and get paid too plus my foot is in the door for when I say "oh hey I got my trainer cert...gimme a job".
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Thanks for the replies. I never even thought about working in the gym. That's actually an awesome idea. I'll tell them my future plans (get my cert when i'm 18, do some PT for a couple years, get a client base, open my own facility in the long run and train athletes exclusively). Would I just go up to the front desk and hand in a resume and tell them i'm willing to do any jobs?
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Do you usually talk to the people at your gym? Like workers or management?
    Just be careful if you say any job in a gym, they might give you a crappy job.
    If you want to try out the gym first to see how it is you can always just volunteer there and work your way in. After I was volunteering at my gym for 3 weeks the CEO of the gym was asking management why they haven't hired me yet, ego boost haha
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

You could always just say "nah I'm busy" when they ask you to come in. They might fire you, but you'd only be leaving a job with ****ty pay. If you're the lowest one in the place, it's not your responsibility to make sure they're optimally staffed. I mean if you're gonna quit anyway, you might as well give it a try, they might not fire you and they'll realize you're not their bitch.

Still havent' decided what i'm gonna do. I'm gonna chekc out some of the gyms near me and see if they have any jobs.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Banned
    I would suggest you look for another job without quitting the one you're at. If you find something, hand in your two weeks notice and take off.

be prepared for the **** to hit the fan if you stand up to the manager. He wouldn't be able to fire you for that alone, but he may start busting your ass over lots of little things. On the other hand, he may leave you alone and start screwing everyone else around.

IMO school comes first. You're an athlete who doesn't need the money, so football comes second.

And for the record, you can't get sports scholarships at Canadian schools.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    I would suggest you look for another job without quitting the one you're at. If you find something, hand in your two weeks notice and take off.

be prepared for the **** to hit the fan if you stand up to the manager. He wouldn't be able to fire you for that alone, but he may start busting your ass over lots of little things. On the other hand, he may leave you alone and start screwing everyone else around.

IMO school comes first. You're an athlete who doesn't need the money, so football comes second.

And for the record, you can't get sports scholarships at Canadian schools.
    Your right, sports do come first before work. They always use the bull**** excuse, you made a commitment to us.

Are you sure you cant get sports scholarships at canadian schools? I think our star running back from my highschool got a scholarship to York. I could be wrong though.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Free snowboards and skateboards?

De, sell that **** on ebay. Minimum wage arseholes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Your right, sports do come first before work. They always use the bull**** excuse, you made a commitment to us.

Are you sure you cant get sports scholarships at canadian schools? I think our star running back from my highschool got a scholarship to York. I could be wrong though.
    yep, I'm sure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athleti...larship#Canada

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    Free snowboards and skateboards?

De, sell that **** on ebay. Minimum wage arseholes.
    Already do that. Free pair of shoes, sold for 70 bucks. cha ching

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Ahh ic.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzbucket View Post
    My biggest regret is skipping my entire junior year of football and the first half of my senior year season... just to hold a job. Screw work. You have the rest of your life for that.

Be a teenager.
    Agree with this. If you dont play ball at the professional or even college level, this is your last chance to get there and have some fun. If you dont need the money, definately make the most of your school experience. Youre going to be working for 40 or so years, so enjoy your time as a student.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    You could always just say "nah I'm busy" when they ask you to come in. They might fire you, but you'd only be leaving a job with ****ty pay. If you're the lowest one in the place, it's not your responsibility to make sure they're optimally staffed. I mean if you're gonna quit anyway, you might as well give it a try, they might not fire you and they'll realize you're not their bitch.
    :withstupi

Also, if you want to hook me up with a 163 Ride Yukon, that would be sweet.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur