The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

I am not gaining!

I have been lifting weights sence the very beginning of June and eating like a mofo. I have been eating really healthy unprocessed foods, and im getting atleast 150 grams of protein a day with a whey protein shake. I am 17, almost 18, 5'7", and weight 142 pounds. The scale does not go up or down, maybe by .1 every week. I feel a little stronger, and the only muscle that I have seen get noticablly larger are my biceps, they have really shot up.

I am going to type out what I do for my weekly workouts, but I might sound like a complete newb with my reasonings, so please don't make fun out of me.

I have been doing upper body lifting/abs 3 days a week, and running 2... now im changing that to 3 days for upper body (same) and running 3 days a week. Now you will stop reading their and say thats my problem because there is no leg lifting days. To tell you the truth guys, I really don't want to get those big ****ing legs, and I REALLY don't want to screw up my back(father was a wrestler and had so many back/hip problems in his later days, mostly from lifting as he said). I just want to be extremely lean, not a muscle man wrestler... mainly because I want be keep my 3 miles at a good time. For my upper body, I do chest, biceps, and abs on one day, second day I do shoulders, triceps, and abs, then on the third day I do back, a little bit of bicep and tricep workouts, and abs. For running I just run 3 miles each day.

Am I a complete dumbass or what? I don't want to see major gains, but atleast a pound of muscle a month will keep me satisfied. I got 9 months to get this **** right, so I don't want to be messing around doing what dumbasses would be doing... so please help me out.
    Last edited by Spyider; 08-26-2007 at 09:21 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you aren't gaining weight you aren't eating enough. It's that simple. And, you know people are going to tell you to do legs, and you know you're going to to come around eventually, so why don't you get a head start and just start doing them now - you'll thank yourself later. Just do the WBB1 or 1.1 or Starting Strength.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

if you're not gaining you aren't eating enough. How many calories are you eating? Carbs/protein/fat.

Not working legs will hinder your overall muscle growth.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Instead of training bodyparts, think overall CNS training. Youre missing a couple of big movements by not training your "legs".
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Running is not a method for developing strength or hypertrophic gains in your lower body. By having a routine that is absent of squats,deads,clean and press and other large movements primarily involving the legs. You are completely missing out on specific hormonal benefits. Testosterone and HGH both increase following high intensity lifts such as those I mentioned above. These hormones have an anabolic affect that will positively affect all strength and muscular gain all over the body. Of course, it gets alot more detailed then that. However, with it being 1am I couldn't give a crap about being all "technical".

Body part splits such as you described do not help sustain an elevation in these hormones.
    People who don't know how to keep themselves healthy ought to have the decency to get themselves buried, and not waste time about it.
    Henrik Ibsen

It's not possible that your father messed things up himself? There are literally millions of people who work out their legs and lower body without injury.

Wannabebig Member
    maybe your eating enough of the rong stuff

you can eat 1000gs of whatever but if its 1 calorie per gram you'll still only have 1000 calories

check out the foods your eating and the density of the calories

Quote Originally Posted by Spyider View Post
    I have been lifting weights sence the very beginning of June and eating like a mofo. I have been eating really healthy unprocessed foods, and im getting atleast 150 grams of protein a day with a whey protein shake. I am 17, almost 18, 5'7", and weight 142 pounds. The scale does not go up or down, maybe by .1 every week. I feel a little stronger, and the only muscle that I have seen get noticablly larger are my biceps, they have really shot up.

I am going to type out what I do for my weekly workouts, but I might sound like a complete newb with my reasonings, so please don't make fun out of me.

I have been doing upper body lifting/abs 3 days a week, and running 2... now im changing that to 3 days for upper body (same) and running 3 days a week. Now you will stop reading their and say thats my problem because there is no leg lifting days. To tell you the truth guys, I really don't want to get those big ****ing legs, and I REALLY don't want to screw up my back(father was a wrestler and had so many back/hip problems in his later days, mostly from lifting as he said). I just want to be extremely lean, not a muscle man wrestler... mainly because I want be keep my 3 miles at a good time. For my upper body, I do chest, biceps, and abs on one day, second day I do shoulders, triceps, and abs, then on the third day I do back, a little bit of bicep and tricep workouts, and abs. For running I just run 3 miles each day.

Am I a complete dumbass or what? I don't want to see major gains, but atleast a pound of muscle a month will keep me satisfied. I got 9 months to get this **** right, so I don't want to be messing around doing what dumbasses would be doing... so please help me out.
    If you really want to gain eat every 2-3 hours as much as you can without making yourself feel sick of course. Just eat till your full and thats it, no matter what the amount is. Eventually you will be able to eat more and more. You'll know your doing it right if you never feel hungry. Your stomach should never tell you your hungry.

When a 15 year old eats more then you and still loses weight you know you need to eat more.

Hang on a minute! I just read the rest of your post?

Stop making excuses!

You want to run faster? Lifting only upper body will slow you down.

I know what i say will probably not convince you.

If you dont want to be messing around doing what a dumbass is doing then you need to train properly.

Getting size on your whole body will not slow you down if you keep up your endurance work.

Its your call, a healthy 175 or a sickly 143.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 08-27-2007 at 05:25 AM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Training
    1. Not eating enough. If you haven't figured that out in the last 10 replies...
    2. Not lifting on legs? So you want to be one of those typical "big chest, big guns guys?"
    3. Not lifting on back? Only way to screw your back up is with horrible form. This goes for all movements.
    4. Add more compound movements. Drop a day of abs for damn sure.

Choice is yours in what you do. We can only suggest what to change.
    Starting over...

Quote Originally Posted by Al3X View Post
    Choice is yours in what you do. We can only suggest what to change.
    No point asking for advice if you wont take it.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Training
    Yep. Once he realizes that nothing is improving it will be time for a change. That's when the advice that has been given through these replies will be applied.
    Starting over...

So you want to gain weight but not gain mass?

I'm going to be blunt here;

Eat more and train legs!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

One of the few times I wouldnít take my father advice. Just donít make the same mistakes he did, its called proper technique. You seriously donít want to go down the curl jockey road. I seen a guy the other day with at least 17í arms, cut up tris and bicep but had age 14 legs and his back was tiny. It looks stupid and you wonít be strong. These types of guys get tossed around on the mat! Also, you probably donít have this guy genetics.

Seriously youíre not eating enough. Just like with internet lifts, every 150lb guy who canít gain weight always claims how they already eat everything. Put your ego and the hardgainer talk away and realize you arenít eating enough. Start eating food dense in calories. Start tracking your calories everyday and you soon will understand why you canít get past 150lb soak and wet.

Simple Challenge

Deadlift , Barbell row, Squat, and Bench Press for the next three months. You can even throw out curling. Now start tracking your calories ďEVERYDAYĒ making sure you get at least 3000-3500.

After 3 months I can bet my paycheck you will no longer be 150lbs and your arms will have grown without the need for curls.

Running (cardio) increased your caloric usage. You are burning too many calories and don't take in enough. If you want to gain, stop running or eat more - simple.

And you should actually be doing lifts for your legs. They are the biggest muscles in your body and need equal attention as your upper body.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

No you're not.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    if you're not gaining you aren't eating enough. How many calories are you eating? Carbs/protein/fat.

Not working legs will hinder your overall muscle growth.

You have got to stop my gym, and tell this to the all the guys with huge upper bodies, but could also fit both their legs in a single legs of my pants.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Banned
    To tell you the truth guys, I really don't want to get those big ****ing legs
    Ths is a common misconception people have about weight lifting. The public thinks if you lift you will suddenly explode and accidentally put on a lot of muscle. Let me tell you, kid, it takes a helluva lot fo work to build muscle -- a helluva lot! You're not going to accidentally end up with lee labrada's legs.

Eat more, do full body, and enjoy the natty annabolic effect that squats and DLs bring.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. I will take your advice and start doing leg workouts and eat more. Money is kind of a problem, I feel like im emptying my mom's fridge every week just from eating so much. I am not sure what I should get for leg exercises... but I am assuming I need an olympic style barbell and some plates to go along with it? Thats pretty pricey for me right now, how much should I be spending on this? Also, I want to make it clear that I don't want to be huge, just really fit. I want to look/be healthy, and I really want to achieve getting up to 20+ dead hang pullups.

Another thing comes to mind as I am talking about this... stretching. For me, stretching takes so long, atleast 30 minutes before working out and 30 after... I love lifting but I hate this part of it. Sometimes I stretch, lets say, my tricep and I feel it on my left one but when I switch to my right, I don't feel the stretch. Am I suppose to be stretching my shoulders, arm muscles, chest muscles even when I am going to be doing back workouts? Because I do, but as you can probally tell by now, I want to prevent injury. I just don't know what to do, I am just confused right now.

Now for food... I eat chicken, eggs, steak, burgers, brats(uncooked so no nitrates or nitrites), fish, turkey, veggies, fruit, nuts, peanut butter, whole grain wheat bread, cereal, and cheese.
    I drink over a gal of water a day, and 2-3 cups of 2% milk a day.
    Sence I am not gaining at all, and want to gain, and you guys are telling me to eat more... is it ok to eat, lets say, a pizza once or twice a week? Is it ok to cheat sometimes?

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Spyider; 08-27-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I will take your advice and start doing leg workouts and eat more. Money is kind of a problem, I feel like im emptying my mom's fridge every week just from eating so much. I am not sure what I should get for leg exercises... but I am assuming I need an olympic style barbell and some plates to go along with it? Thats pretty pricey for me right now, how much should I be spending on this? Also, I want to make it clear that I don't want to be huge, just really fit. I want to look/be healthy, and I really want to achieve getting up to 20+ dead hang pullups.

Another thing comes to mind as I am talking about this... stretching. For me, stretching takes so long, atleast 30 minutes before working out and 30 after... I love lifting but I hate this part of it. Sometimes I stretch, lets say, my tricep and I feel it on my left one but when I switch to my right, I don't feel the stretch. Am I suppose to be stretching my shoulders, arm muscles, chest muscles even when I am going to be doing back workouts? Because I do, but as you can probally tell by now, I want to prevent injury. I just don't know what to do, I am just confused right now.

Now for food... I eat chicken, eggs, steak, burgers, brats(uncooked so no nitrates or nitrites), fish, turkey, veggies, fruit, nuts, peanut butter, whole grain wheat bread, cereal, and cheese.
    I drink over a gal of water a day, and 2-3 cups of 2% milk a day.
    Sence I am not gaining at all, and want to gain, and you guys are telling me to eat more... is it ok to eat, lets say, a pizza once or twice a week? Is it ok to cheat sometimes?

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.
    It isn't what you are eating. Just eat more of it. Good list of food. You can throw out the cereal and bread IMO. They take too long to consume and are worthless compared to the other foods you have listed. Also, if you don't care about possible acne and want to see how fast you can gain weight, the $ dollar menu is your friend. Check out my journal for tips too. Good luck!
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Drink more milk and less water.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    It isn't what you are eating. Just eat more of it. Good list of food. You can throw out the cereal and bread IMO. They take too long to consume and are worthless compared to the other foods you have listed. Also, if you don't care about possible acne and want to see how fast you can gain weight, the $ dollar menu is your friend. Check out my journal for tips too. Good luck!

The dolar menu? you mean the Mcdonalds?! I thought junk/fast food should be avoided. Or was that a joke?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Drink more milk and less water.
    Is 2% ideal? Or should I step up to whole milk?

Is 2% ideal? Or should I step up to whole milk?
    Either one is fine. Obviously whole milk would have more calories, and would allow you to gain weight faster. I prefer 1%, though, and just drink LOTS of it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle