The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about waist size and bulking

Just curious, what size waist would you consider bulking to? What point would you never cross on a bulk? I'm asking, cause I've currently bulked to size 39 inch waist, and I heard today that if you're over 34 inch waist you are at risk to be very sick! Obviously Im gonna cut, but next time I bulk I want to know if it is safe to go over 34... or do any of you even consider that option?

EC

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    I'm currently sitting at a 44, and I'm healthy as can be. Whoever said you can get sick is just dumb.

I bulked to a 40" waist, but I've always had a big waist, My hips are just like that. now I'm down something like 37". If you're going for a taper, you should try to never gain in the midsection. Could add some cardio.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    I'm currently sitting at a 44, and I'm healthy as can be. Whoever said you can get sick is just dumb.
    Well, men with large midsections that are predominantly fat are supposed to be at a major disadvantage when it comes to long-term health. Coronary heart disease, diabetes, and many other conditions are actually linked with a large waist.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Banned
    Shark - I'm screwed! The belly helps the squat and the bench. I definately agree if you're fat, though. I'm not fat, just big-boned.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Shark - I'm screwed! The belly helps the squat and the bench. I definately agree if you're fat, though. I'm not fat, just big-boned.
    I'm feeling ya on that. 8" wrists for the win!
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Yes, I ate the WHOLE thing RCASEYH's Avatar
    NJ (A.K.A. ... Paradise on the East Coast)
    What a LOT of people don't seem to take into account when looking at something as simple as their 'waist size' is the amount of development some larger guys have achieved in all the muscles of their midsection ... not just in the front of their body, but their sides and especially their lower backs. Most average joes who don't work-out carry around a pregnant gut of 100% lard with minimal muscle development underneath it all.
    (Which is why the whole BMI scale really isn't worth spit. But, I digress ... )

I would say that it is all on a case-by-case basis and you'll know when an increasing waist size is due to a TON of excess body fat vs. fat & development of your underlying musculature.

indomitable will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Just curious, what size waist would you consider bulking to? What point would you never cross on a bulk? I'm asking, cause I've currently bulked to size 39 inch waist, and I heard today that if you're over 34 inch waist you are at risk to be very sick! Obviously Im gonna cut, but next time I bulk I want to know if it is safe to go over 34... or do any of you even consider that option?

EC
    What waist size did you start this bulk at?

Quote Originally Posted by Outshine View Post
    What waist size did you start this bulk at?
    I'd say that I was around 36 inch waist when I started this, and 165 lbs... I have bulked up to 200 lbs, and 39 inch waist... lots more muscle, but certainly too much fat... this is largely due to the rather sloppy bulk with too much junk food..

I did a recent cut down to 185 lbs,.. then bulked and got back to 200 again, but with decent muscle gains..

I'm doing a 2-3 week cut now, and then gonna re-evaluate..

This doctor said on a talk show that if you're over a 34 inch waist, youre at risk for serious diseases.. but that seems ridiculous, cause I just had a check-up and my doctor said I was really healthy.. but I guess now I'm worried and may try to get down to 165 lbs again, cause I got a bit freaked out..

EC

my previous winter bulk i started at a 34inch waist and only went to about a 36inch waist...now after a serious summer cut im down to about a 30-32 inch waist depending the brand of pants im wearing...this winter i dont want to go any higher than a 34...because im short i get unproportioned very quickly when i put on weight.
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

indomitable will.
    I'd say that I was around 36 inch waist when I started this, and 165 lbs... I have bulked up to 200 lbs, and 39 inch waist... lots more muscle, but certainly too much fat... this is largely due to the rather sloppy bulk with too much junk food..

I did a recent cut down to 185 lbs,.. then bulked and got back to 200 again, but with decent muscle gains..

I'm doing a 2-3 week cut now, and then gonna re-evaluate..

This doctor said on a talk show that if you're over a 34 inch waist, youre at risk for serious diseases.. but that seems ridiculous, cause I just had a check-up and my doctor said I was really healthy.. but I guess now I'm worried and may try to get down to 165 lbs again, cause I got a bit freaked out..

EC
    39 inch waist sounded pretty high, but when you consider that you started at 36 inches, it's a 3 inch gain... which isn't so bad. I think next time you'd be better off starting to bulk when you are leaner. A 36 inch waist is a better waist size to END a bulk at rather than START a bulk at.

And, while you should listen to doctors, you need to also bare in mind that broad statements like that are aimed at the typical average dumbass, not people like us who do squats, deads, good mornings, and heavy ab work... all of which can increase waist measurements.

What the doctor is really saying is just don't be a fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshine View Post
    39 inch waist sounded pretty high, but when you consider that you started at 36 inches, it's a 3 inch gain... which isn't so bad. I think next time you'd be better off starting to bulk when you are leaner. A 36 inch waist is a better waist size to END a bulk at rather than START a bulk at.

And, while you should listen to doctors, you need to also bare in mind that broad statements like that are aimed at the typical average dumbass, not people like us who do squats, deads, good mornings, and heavy ab work... all of which can increase waist measurements.

What the doctor is really saying is just don't be a fat ass.
    Sounds like very good advice, thanks dude!

Yes, I ate the WHOLE thing RCASEYH's Avatar
    NJ (A.K.A. ... Paradise on the East Coast)
    I second what Outshine said.

And he also hit the nail on the head with regard to the MD's comments. That's exactly what I meant in my last reply to you. The medical community is looking at someone who is NOT in the gym on a regular basis. A huge waist in the case of the 'average joe' is predominantly due to all adipose tissue (generally speaking) -- which is extremely unhealthy and a precursor to heart disease -- vs. the developed midsection of muscle w/fat in someone who is a weightlifter. (I know, I talk like a bad textbook -- I work in the medical field myself.)

Regardless of the actual numbers of your waist size, the leaner you are when you start, the better off you will be in the long run.

Sounds good.. so if I cut down to 30 inch waist now, and around 160-170 lbs, how much strength and muscle should I expect to lose?

I have a 37.5" waist right now, and if you see my most recent pics you can clearly see I'm not fat. Some people just have a bigger waist.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Well, I started my cut.. just curious, whats the most weight any of you have lost in a short period of time? I'm trying for 5 lbs a week, is that unrealistic?

EC

indomitable will.
    Well, I started my cut.. just curious, whats the most weight any of you have lost in a short period of time? I'm trying for 5 lbs a week, is that unrealistic?

EC
    It's unrealistic if you have any desire to maintain ANY muscle. 1lb a week would be maximum for me, with preferred being 0.5 per week.

EC
    That is completely unrealistic. I lost 70lbs in 11 months, that was pretty good and I didn't lose any LBM on my cut. I would say you could do 1.5lbs a week if you have a big amount of fat to lose, otherwise .5-1lb a week is advisable.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

im around a 37, but my chest relaxed is 47-48 so its all good.

i plan on getting to around a 40, but with hopefully a 52-53 inch chest.
    2000 or bust

i am 198-200lb 33.5inch waist not bad considering the size of my arse
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

Quote Originally Posted by samj View Post
    i am 198-200lb 33.5inch waist not bad considering the size of my arse
    I your ass effects the measurement you get for your waist then you either

A) Have no idea where to measure your waist

B) Are a freak of nature
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

no i where 34inch pants they are tiny bit to big on the waist but tight on the legs you see
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    That is completely unrealistic. I lost 70lbs in 11 months, that was pretty good and I didn't lose any LBM on my cut. I would say you could do 1.5lbs a week if you have a big amount of fat to lose, otherwise .5-1lb a week is advisable.
    Well so far I've done 5 days of INTENSE exercise, tons of weights, running, walking,swimming, etc... I ate very little, and I lost 6 lbs... I don't notice any loss in muscle.. I figured that was a good model for cutting.. I guess if I start to see muscle loss I'll have to slow down..

EC

Yes but you do realize the first week or so you will lose a ton of initial water weight. I lost 6 lbs in 2 days. I look leaner. As soon as I stuff my face and drink a few 40's of Old E bye bye abs.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Okay, I went from 202 to 196 in about five days... if I can replicate that in week 2, will you believe me then?

EC