The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

When should I cut?

I've been lifting for about 4 months, and I've seen some good results. I've put on about 13 pounds since I started. My left side is gaining strength and catching up with my stronger right side (one of my primary goals to help moderate my scoliosis.) Once my left side catches up, I'm then faced with the question, "When should I start cutting?"

I'm currently at a pretty high body fat, but I'm gaining strength, tone and muscle quickly (Noobie gains?) Should I wait an entire year before I start cutting, or should I just give it a shot now? Any advice?

My goal is primarily to build muscle and lose this belly I've had my entire life. I understand that caloric excess is needed for building muscle and caloric deficit is needed for losing fat, which is why they are kind of incompatible processes. So when do you know the time is right to start cutting?
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Watchya talkn bout willis
    When feel uncomfortable with your bodyfat
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

indomitable will.
    Usually what North said above is a good answer.

Or, better yet, when you get so fat that it significantly screws with your muscle to fat gain ratio.

BUT, since you said:

I'm currently at a pretty high body fat, but I'm gaining strength, tone and muscle quickly (Noobie gains?)
    Things may be a bit different. If there was ever a point where I could describe what my body was doing by saying your above quote... I'd keep doing exactly what it is I'm currently doing.

The second it stops, I'd cut.

Gotcha. Well I took some progress pics that I'm going to post in my journal later today. Upon looking at them I can still see a significant difference between my left and right lats - my left lat is much smaller and weaker than my right lat. So for now, I think I'm going to stick to continue bulking until it's closer in size - which might be a while - then I'll cut. If I hit 240 lbs, then I'll DEFINITELY cut because that's just too damned fat! hehehe.

Any recommendations on articles for how to best cut when the time comes?
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

indomitable will.
    There's a bunch of different cutting methods. I know Built wrote something for WBB that explains how she cuts (carb cycling). I know a lot of people on here like UD2.

I just go about 300 cals below maintenance and aim for 0.5lbs lost per week. I keep protein high and fat fairly normal and have most of the calories that are reduced come from mostly carbs. I keep fat and carbs seperate most of the time (either protein and fat in a meal, or protein and carbs in a meal). I also have most of my carb intake take place around my workout (pre workout, post workout, the meal after that, and the meal after that). The rest are protein and fat meals.

Then, I just lift as though I'm bulking (ie: trying to progress, working my ass off, no light weight/more reps nonsense)... which helps with maintaining muscle/strength.
    Last edited by Outshine; 08-30-2007 at 10:54 AM.