Thread: Are these Bands too damaged?

Hybrid View

Are these Bands too damaged?

So I bought some bands on Ebay... two jump stretch bands "with no cracks". However I just got them today and this is what they look like: regions of small cracks... some of them running 1/3 of the way through the depth of the band.

See the pic

Are these bands any good? The last thing I want to be doing banded squat and these things break on me. I don't know what a usual level of wear is... any suggestions/help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Aw man, sorry to hear that Red.

Although I can't ask your question, I was wondering - why did you decide to buy bands on Ebay? Are the Elite FTS ones too expensive?
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

They were too expensive... but now they're on sale. I got a decent deal on these... and the seller stated that there was no damage to the bands.

I have to decide whether to demand my money back... or whether they will still work. Which is what I hope some more experienced people can help with!
    - rEDfURY
    My PL Training Journal

hmm...i think i'd do a chargeback man, don't wanna risk those snapping on you.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    So I bought some bands on Ebay... two jump stretch bands "with no cracks". However I just got them today and this is what they look like: regions of small cracks... some of them running 1/3 of the way through the depth of the band.

See the pic

Are these bands any good? The last thing I want to be doing banded squat and these things break on me. I don't know what a usual level of wear is... any suggestions/help?
    F*** Buddy!!! Get your money back ASAP! Those are in horrible condition! Fork out the dough for new bands, they're worth it. I would never buy used bands.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    F*** Buddy!!! Get your money back ASAP! Those are in horrible condition! Fork out the dough for new bands, they're worth it. I would never buy used bands.
    I just notified I'll need my money back... I don't why I'm so cheap. Must have been something my Dad instilled in me... and bands are something I shouldn't skimp on.
    - rEDfURY
    My PL Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    I just notified I'll need my money back... I don't why I'm so cheap. Must have been something my Dad instilled in me... and bands are something I shouldn't skimp on.
    Buddy, I'm cheap just like you. But I still fork out the money for bands and metal suits. Sometimes quality is better, especially with bands.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    I am probably the cheapest person you will ever meet; although I prefer "cost efficient". I am also the safest person you will ever meet in the gym. I would never use those bands.

That happens alot to used, dry bands when they get hot and expand and are creased when they cool and contract. It is a good chance that happened during shipping. I saw a guy leave a brand new set in his car and the next day they looked like that. Tough break man, luckily paypal and ebay probably have your back.
    Nobody has all the answers. Nobody can experience everything. Nobody knows everything.
    Unless you are a Nobody...Ask, Read and Learn

Not to beat a dead horse, but yeah, don't use those... I have some bands that are well over two years old (and have had pretty steady use) that are in much better condition... Those look like they've been left in the sun or something.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Buy new bands. Let the companies that sell them stay in business!!!

Oh, and get them from www.westside-barbell.com.

So it looks like I'll get my money back... sucks that I have to pay to ship it back to him but whatever. Maybe I'll learn my lesson for next time... haha. Thanks for the help guys... still learning this pling thing. Really want them to do banded deadlift stuff as I push for 500.
    - rEDfURY
    My PL Training Journal

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    We always had problems with banded deadlifts, we normally use a platform set up so the bands are 2' lower than our feet. Kinda weird to describe it. Chained deads are normally what ends up being done after our frustration...

Random thoughts...
    Nobody has all the answers. Nobody can experience everything. Nobody knows everything.
    Unless you are a Nobody...Ask, Read and Learn

Neal, just let me know when you want to use them and I'll bring in the bands I have. Seriously, no need to pay for them when you can use some for free.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Neal, just let me know when you want to use them and I'll bring in the bands I have. Seriously, no need to pay for them when you can use some for free.
    Ryan... problem is we don't work out at the same time. I appreciate the help, but at this point I need my own stuff.
    - rEDfURY
    My PL Training Journal