Thread: Lat Soreness

Lat Soreness

First, I know soreness doesnít indicate progress but when I bench my chest gets sore, Squat (sore legs) Deads (sore back) etc. Anyways, I only experience minor soreness in my lats when I clean and press. Barbell rows and lat pull donít make me sore.

Iím just wondering if things can change? Could using too much arms in rows and lat pulls effect how hard my lats work?

Any tips would be appreciated, Thanks.

For someone who's deadlifting well over 400....
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboard View Post
    Barbell row
    2 sets 135x10
    155x8

Lat pull down
    120x8
    3 set 100 x8
    ... you could probably push these numbers a little more.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    For someone who's deadlifting well over 400....... you could probably push these numbers a little more.
    Haha.

OP, I had the same problem before. I didn't notice any real progression off of BB rows. I switched over to T-bars, and WHAM! Numbers (not to mention soreness) shot through the roof. DB rows also did it for my lats.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Lats are the hardest things for me to pump. Sometimes high reps works. Sometimes heavy stuff works. It's never the same.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by IZich View Post
    Haha.
    I was dead serious.

I love one-arm rows too btw.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

For someone who's deadlifting well over 400....... you could probably push these numbers a little more.

I just suck at barbell rows. If I could add more weight without destroying myself I would. One guy at my gym can't deadlift 405 but he can barbell row 225 for reps.

Also, with the lat pull downs I try to use a weight that i can pull down with my lats. I could throw more on but its become
    biceps etc.
    Last edited by blackboard; 08-30-2007 at 11:21 PM.

I was dead serious.

I love one-arm rows too btw.
    The funny part is that you got right down to the problem.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Haha.

OP, I had the same problem before. I didn't notice any real progression off of BB rows. I switched over to T-bars, and WHAM! Numbers (not to mention soreness) shot through the roof. DB rows also did it for my lats.
    I will try the T bar and DB rows, thanks.

The funny part is that you got right down to the problem.
    Ah, thanks.

blackboard,
    You don't have to do bent-over barbell rows, but I was serious about the amount of weight... I probably deadlift less than you right now and I'm damn sure that I could almost one-arm DB row what you are using for your barbell rows and lat pulldowns. I am NOT bragging when I say that. I'm not saying that you are lazy either - sometimes you need to back off on the accessory exercises while you are pushing main lifts. BUT, if you think your lats need to be brought up, then you've got to hit them harder and prioritize them.

100lbs in the lat pulldown? I mean, yeah some lat pulldown machines are harder than others, but 100lbs?

Ah, thanks.

blackboard,
    You don't have to do bent-over barbell rows, but I was serious about the amount of weight... I probably deadlift less than you right now and I'm damn sure that I could almost one-arm DB row what you are using for your barbell rows and lat pulldowns. I am NOT bragging when I say that. I'm not saying that you are lazy either - sometimes you need to back off on the accessory exercises while you are pushing main lifts. BUT, if you think your lats need to be brought up, then you've got to hit them harder and prioritize them.

100lbs in the lat pulldown? I mean, yeah some lat pulldown machines are harder than others, but 100lbs?
    I'm not sure if the resistance is messed up. At about 120 (pull-down) the weight pushes me up and I'm close to 200lbs. But I try to put my ego aside and pick a weight that my lats can handle without muscling the weight up and down like i see plenty guys doing on that machine(shaking etc.)
    Last edited by blackboard; 08-30-2007 at 11:33 PM.

Weighted chin ups with VERY SLOW negatives, followed by 1-arm lat pull-downs FTW!
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

I suck at bb row as well. Pull ups and T-bar row are only exercises that make my back grow.

BB rows rock for me, as long as im almost completely bent over, and have my back in a natural arch.

Haha.

Teh way to go. BB rows dont seem to target my lats as much as my bicep and erectors for sme reason. Probably not doing them right. Single db rows do though but i just love the T-Bar rows COleman/Arny style. Biceps/lats/back in general I FEEL the muscles being used its great. ALso for lats i love pullups
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

indomitable will.
    Pull ups.

Give 1 Arm DB Rows a shot. I absolutely love them.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wide-grip pull ups, continue practicing barbell rows, but do like a power row (wear a belt), t-bar rows, db rows.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    [QUOTE=sharkall2003;1774376]Wide-grip pull ups, QUOTE]
    Are bad for your RC...shoulder width at max...just thought you would like to know

DB rows, weighted chins, and weighted inverted rows...no one like inverted rows but me, they are great for stabilizers

DB rows kick my ass, I just hate the fact that you have to do one side at a time...that's why i despise lunges and stepups
    Last edited by nddillon; 08-31-2007 at 09:26 AM.
    Nobody has all the answers. Nobody can experience everything. Nobody knows everything.
    Unless you are a Nobody...Ask, Read and Learn

Watchya talkn bout willis
    ^^ try walking lunges
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

shoulder width pullups
    also dumbell pullovers work well for me, I always have a lat pump and soreness the following 2 days. I usually grab a 100lb db and put my shoulders on a bench and plank my body w/ legs at 90 degrees and that's it. It is a great variation that works your lats, tris, and your abs (as you contract to stabalize)
    I find that the straighter my arms to more my lats get hit.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-31-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I NEVER train with the goal to get sore anymore, but when I was A LOT younger, I'd do giant sets w. DB Pullovers --> Chins --> Barbell Rows. If you want to get sore, try a few giant sets with those (move from exercise to exercise with minimal rest - all three exercises = one giant set, do this for 3 or 4 sets).

Quote Originally Posted by blackboard View Post
    I'm not sure if the resistance is messed up. At about 120 (pull-down) the weight pushes me up and I'm close to 200lbs. But I try to put my ego aside and pick a weight that my lats can handle without muscling the weight up and down like i see plenty guys doing on that machine(shaking etc.)
    I like to think I have a little more muscle than the average lifter. True or not lol...Anyway this is the reason you get nothing out of the pulldowns. Your trying to isolate the lats and take the bicep out of the equation. If your trying to get stronger or add muscle, the amount of wt your using won't do it. Don't be afraid to cheat some, esp on back moves, protect the lower back. You could do a few sets for fun light to warm up or finish after you've done works sets. I sometimes do pull downs cheat style and finish off with some super strict sets w/slow negative.
    Do chins if you can, chest supported rows, deads
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)