Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: biceps not improving

Wannabebig New Member

biceps not improving

I've been doing concentration curls for a long time for biceps, and whatever I do I can't seem to lift more than 40lbx8repx3. it's been nine weeks. I've tried resting 2 weeks instead of 1 but that didn't help. I tried lifting 30lb a couple of times after doing my usual 40lbx8repx3 but that didn't help either. I don't know what I should be doing.

do other compound movements that involve your back. deadlifts, pullups, and rows.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    I do all of those. I don't understand what you're trying to say?

Wannabebig Member
    Im with you man. This is truly the only muscle that refuses to get bigger. I really dont know what to do because everything else I do I see improvement and its driving me nuts.

Eat more.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

What? you tried resting two weeks??? thats a long rest dude!

mix it up....going heavy, supersets and drop sets see if that helps! (i know i said this before on another thread but i reckon you guys should try it and see what works for you).

Also dont rely on "concentration curls", like Cards said, do more compound movements and go hard! (no point in doing it half ass).
    Funniest thing i've read ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    I was once so bored and horny I drew a picture of a naked woman to jerk off to.
    105kg

B - 130kg
    S - 185kg
    D - 200kg

No matter how many curls I did, I never really saw my biceps grow until I began doing rows and DL'ing.

Wannabebig Member
    Curls in my opinion are a waste of time. I mean honestly, doing a little bicep curl of 40lbs or dead lifting 300lbs? Which do you think is going to cause you to get stronger? That was a rhetorical question by the way.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycopp View Post
    I do all of those. I don't understand what you're trying to say?
    He's saying a pullup where your biceps are pulling 200+ lbs are going to be more effective than curls where you do 40 lbs... same goes for all other major compound pulling lifts.

Eat more and do more compound lifts. If you're not eating enough to grow, you won't.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    The sad thing is I'm on the starting strength program an do dead lift an rows...an curls of course. So clearly the world just hates me haha.

Staring Strength alone, or whatever interweb hybrid/abomination of it you have picked up or re designed will not make you bigger. Eating plenty of food and then training hard will.

If you are/were training and eating enough, your entire body would be growing and to be honest it would divert the focus solely from your biceps.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Wannabebig Member
    Ive been lifting for awhile an recently switched to starting strength to focus on bench an deadlift an i eat plenty of calories an protein i just dont know what to do.

Measure your biceps now and then measure them in a month and see if they are getting bigger. Mine are getting bigger and I never do any direct/isolation bicep work.

Wannabebig Member
    good call. But also I am not seeing any better definition.

Quote Originally Posted by pf289 View Post
    Ive been lifting for awhile an recently switched to starting strength to focus on bench an deadlift an i eat plenty of calories an protein i just dont know what to do.
    How long is a 'while' and what gains have you made?. You say focus on bench and deadlift when actually, the focus of SS is squatting x3 a week.

Any routine worth it's salt IMHO, will focus on the compounds anyway so what were you doing previously.

You are sounding so defeatist, ''the world hates me'' wtf?. Curls do not make a man (or gal).

Nut up, eat up and lift heavy. Focus primarily on your big lifts and your arms will grow. Thats the bottom line. Hell, by all means do the curls, but dont make them the focal point.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Wannabebig Member
    Ive been lifting regularly 4-5 days a week since 9th grade of high school for lacrosse so about 6 years ago. I have made great gains an am in pretty decent shape but I feel like my lifting partner who always goes with me makes much bigger gains an we have been lifting together for about a year. And he eats horribly yet he still has huge arms an can bench significantly more than me. I can squat an bench pretty well an have improved them greatly and am happy about that but my definition doesnt really exist.

Nut up, eat up and lift heavy
    ^I say this again.......Although the above would still mostly be applicable, its not size anymore but definition you seek? I am starting to think you live under a bridge.

Compare yourself to yourself. As long as you are making progress, who gives a right hand flyer what your friend does.........
    Last edited by -JM-; 02-27-2009 at 06:39 PM.

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    you most likely dont need to do curls. ive only ever used them sporadically and now dont do them ever. 235 and still growing

Quote Originally Posted by pf289 View Post
    good call. But also I am not seeing any better definition.
    If you've been lifting for a while and aren't happy with your definition, you're probably going to need to cut some calories out of your diet.

you'll have big arms when the rest of your body is proportional to your arms. Eat more food.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I had a similar issue, not that I cared about it much but it did bother me a little bit. Compound movements DO help your arms get bigger and stronger but just not as much as I wanted, and it looks to be the same for you. In the last 2-3 months I have been supersetting on my biceps. I do 5 reps of barbell curl (on the bench/squat rack to piss every fat and strong guy off) and immediately take dumbels and do 5 reps of on each hand alternating. I push maximum weight every time and get a spot on both and do 5 sets. I than do the same with preacher curls and hammer db curls to complete my biceps. It's worked great and I've added lots of strength and size to my biceps, actually added 10 lbs to my db curl and I was on a plateu for a year before that.

Work in Progress
    It's a bicep curl... no one cares how much you do. DL over 700 lbs and your biceps will be enormous.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Wannabebig Member
    Pull up, will make them explode. I would advocate cable curls as well as the eccentric is a lot harder than with the free weight. Mainly though... deadlift.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Eat more and do more compound lifts. If you're not eating enough to grow, you won't.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    It's a bicep curl... no one cares how much you do. DL over 700 lbs and your biceps will be enormous.
    I would say, except he's not stupid, lol
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 02-28-2009 at 07:01 PM.