The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: BULKing food?

Wannabebig Member

BULKing food?

So i wiegh 157, im about 5' 9-10 12-13% body fat.....i eat a good amount of food and most if is really crappy calorie loaded food, and i never gain weight.

If i start a bulk with a goal of about 180-185 and my diet consists of this will i be succesful????

If i eat..
    -Bananas
    -Deli Turkey
    -Deli Chicken
    -Grilled chicken breast
    - 2 glasses of milk a day
    -Protien shakes
    -bread and cheese (sandwiches)
    -lean beef and steak
    -potatoes
    -corn
    -i drink water all the time ..
    and manage to get about 3500 cal out of that all day and at least my weight in grams of protien....do you think i will be able to gain fairly lean mass>?

So i would like to know if i eat these foods and hit my calarie/protein goal daily and workout 3-4 times a week....is that a terrible bulk diet.....the problem is i dont like many foods so i am limited.....please advise THANKS!!!
    Now 9/04/2008: 167lbs 5'9.5, 13-14% BF
    Bench: 150
    Squat: 250
    Dead: ???

Goals: 185ish 5-10%BF (By this time next year, or asap)
    Bench: 250
    Squat: 350+
    Dead: ????

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    You are only eating enough to weigh 157 - that's why you weigh 157. You can eat any kind of food you want. Your choices were fine. It's not what you eat, it's how much. I'll bet my right nut you don't eat nearly as much as you think. Here's a couple of guidelines

1 - if you ever get hungry, you don't eat enough
    2 - if it tastes good, eat it
    3 - if you're full, eat some more

Gaining weight is easy at your size.

Wannabebig Member
    Yea you are completely right, my problem is I go to long without food, so ill eat a huge stromboli thats probably over 1000 calories and then not eat for 5 hours, but my main question is this:

currently :155-158 12-13%F, if my maintainance level is 15-16 calories times my weight: 2350 - 2550 calories, and i eat 3000 or over everyday , i should gain around 1 lb a week right? but obviously I would like it to be as much muscle as possible and no fat, so after that, are the above foods adequate?

add peanuts and peanut butter to that list, and if it would help a lot i could eat some fish.....let me know i need help thanks!!
    Now 9/04/2008: 167lbs 5'9.5, 13-14% BF
    Bench: 150
    Squat: 250
    Dead: ???

Goals: 185ish 5-10%BF (By this time next year, or asap)
    Bench: 250
    Squat: 350+
    Dead: ????

Re-read Rhodehouses post. It doesnt matter your choices, it matters how much you eat. If your eating 3500 cals and your not gaining weight then your are not eating above maintenence. Continue to increase calories until you do gain weight. Gain weight slower and chances are less of it will be fat. Dont rely on calculators to figure out how many calories you maintain or gain at, actually do it.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

So is the idea that bulking with "clean" foods will help build more muscle dying? Is clean bulking a myth or what? The reason I ask is that when I start my bulk in a few weeks I don't want to feel the need to eat only rice and chicken at each meal.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

A big breakfast is a good way to start the day with alot of calories. Try to eat 3 big meals and 2 smaller ones during the day.

Here is a list of foods you can eat.

Also it's a good idea to track your calories. fitday is a website that track your calories for you.

Good Luck.
    Weight:185
    Height:5'11
    Goal:To get huge.

"Others would just say, 'Death Valley' and leave it at that. But not LSU. Here, it's 'Welcome to Death Valley.' That's beautiful. It's like descending into Hell and finding a sign that reads, 'Satan Invites You to Enjoy Eternal Damnation.'" -Jim Capel, ESPN

I would advise eating every 3 hours... Eat a huge meal, then wait 3 hours, eat another huge meal... that gives your body time to use the food, time to get hungry again.. do this consistently and your metabolism gets used to it...

EC

Not entirely true. Check out the thread on "IF Dieting". The "eat every three hours" thing is a dying myth. Eat whenever you want, based on your comfort.
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

Max Lifts:

Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    So is the idea that bulking with "clean" foods will help build more muscle dying? Is clean bulking a myth or what? The reason I ask is that when I start my bulk in a few weeks I don't want to feel the need to eat only rice and chicken at each meal.
    I eat chicken and rice twice a day usually. Because it's easy control over my macronutrients, because it's convenient and cheap. Clean bulking has health benefits over eating disgusting bull**** that the rest of america (and many people on this website) seem to eat. But eating clean foods arent going to be the difference in fat gain, total calories, how fast you gain, how hard you work and your genetics, will.

As an aside, many people consider dirty bulking just overeating all the time without tracking much, which is usually why it ends up with faster, fatter gains.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Wannabebig Member
    Ice cream is my favorite bulking food!

My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

"Clean food" is just 1000x easier to track and get an accurate calorie count. Eating a burger and fries could be 800 or 1500 cals. A cup of oats is always 300, and 2 scoops of nitrean is always 220. In my opinion that is the main advantage to clean bulking. That and the health benefits.

Track you cals to detemine maintence. Don't use some calculator.
    Nick V

I've put on 70lbs since I began training and I've never had to eat when I was full or "stuff" myself. Eating like this will just lead to fat gain because you're probably eating way more than you need to put on LBM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

^^ I agree. Only time I had to stuff my face all day is during a carb load on UD2. Other than that I just eat when I'm hungry and make sure to hit the macros.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    If you have trouble gaining weight. Try eating what you normally do, and make a night time shake, some fruit/protein/milk/sunflower seeds/nuts. They are quite tasty too.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

It may be different for someone that's 250lbs, but for a beginner that's skinny there's just no way they should find eating enough to gain weight that difficult. They surely shouldn't need to eat when they're full or eat until they feel sick.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Yeah, but if you're making sure that you're always hitting a certain calorie goal, eating a burger and fries shouldn't matter as long as you fulfill your macros, correct?

Max Lifts:

correct.

Banned
    Eat! That's the key to victory. If you're not gaining, eat more. You HAVE to gain fat to gain muscle. Have to like, if you want to live, you HAVE to breath. If you get a little fat, do some very light cardio 2-3x per week. But don't worry about it. Everything gets bigger when you gain weight. Even you covetted flat stomach. There is an exception. I've gained close to 20lbs in 3 weeks and my penis is still small.

As a side note, my BF has actually decreased in the last 3 weeks with the 20lb weight gain. You can gain fast and not get fat. No drugs, BTW. Not yet.

MILK. drink as much as you can. Its pretty much liquid food. 1 quart a day minimum!
    Don't pick on the weak, its immoral... Never antagonise the strong, its stupid

5'11 190lbs

Wannabebig New Member
    drink a glass of milk
    Avelyn
    WebMaster
    s9.com - Biographical Dictionary contains information on 33000 notable people from ancient times to the present day.