The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Training women with odd fat storage

This might be an interesting one. I think training men is so much easier than women. They want to be bigger and more ripped. Easy.

Women are harder to train. They (oftentimes) want to be small, not-too-fat and not-too-muscular.

Still, that's not even that hard usually.

But, my aunt is having a bit of a struggle and wanted my advice. She is in good shape, but her fat storage is really frustrating her. Her upper body is very thin/small and muscular, and her lower body is very disproportionately bigger and fatter. All of her fat is stored on her lower body.

It wouldn't be too hard to just get rid of the stubborn fat on the lower body, but she really doesn't like having such a muscular/small upper body. She wants to move some of the fat up.

I figured Yohimbine/fat burners/morning distance cardio/HIIT/slight caloric deficit to get rid of the lower body stubborn fat, but I can't think of any way of doing this while eventually making her fatter on top. Any ideas?
    Last edited by KingJustin; 08-30-2007 at 11:14 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Tell her to take it up with God.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I'd tell her to do HIIT a few times a week, when have you ever seen a sprinter with a fat lower body?
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

Kingjustin, you just described my body.

I started at 38 years of age with a 48" ass and a 38" bust. No shoulders, no arms, no back - just huge legs.

"It wouldn't be too hard to just get rid of the stubborn fat on the lower body"

Wrong. It's bloody IMPOSSIBLE. I have veins in my PECS and I still have 20-something percent bodyfat on my legs.

She has one tough road to hoe. HIIT will help, but you can't really start there; it's too intense.

How old is she? What are her macros, current training... is she on the pill?

My guess is she's doing a lot of steady state cardio, eating a fairly low-fat diet with plenty of complex carbs, is possibly on the pill and isn't doing heavy resistance work.

I'll wait for more information before I proceed.

Macros: Probably about 55/30/15, healthy low GI carbs, healthy fats, mostly good protein sources
    Current Training: "I don't know what I'm doing-Girl Training." Isolation work, high reps, not too intense, steady state walking/jogging/running/generally active lifestyle.
    But she's overall thin, and her upper body is very thin with very low body fat. Her lower body isn't huuuge or anything, but she would like to get the fat off.

I think she could handle HIIT--at least swimming or on the elliptical. She was a college athlete and has been on a lifting/cardio regime for about a year and a half or so.

The thing with weight training is that I don't think she wants any of her muscles to hypertrophy. If her legs hypertrophy, they'll only look bigger, and if her upper body hypertrophies, she'll be even more ripped (which she doesn't want). And the thing with fat loss is that she really only wants to target the stubborn areas.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 08-30-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    And the thing with fat loss is that she really only wants to target the stubborn areas.
    Then tell her to go get lipo...
    People who don't know how to keep themselves healthy ought to have the decency to get themselves buried, and not waste time about it.
    Henrik Ibsen

Wannabebig Member
    Honestly, your aunt sounds like the perfect candidate for lipo suction. You can't fight genetics.

Squats!

I swear its the answer to everything.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Do it yourself lipo.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!