The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Looking for advice...should I cut or continue bulking?

Here's the thing. I went from being very skinny to now just skinny. 130's to 170's now in 8 months. Problem is, I did this with a crappy diet. I ate anything I wanted and didn't track my calories...obviously eating well over my maintenance. The result? I've gained a lot of fat in my stomach...getting a little pot belly and the little flabs on the sides. I think these are called "love handles" right? Being skinny all my life I always heard that word but didn't care enough to learn what they are. This stomach thing isn't extreme or anything, but I guess it is for me because I've been so use to being very skinny. Worrying about fat on my body was the least of my worries until recently, which is why I really didn't care about what I was eating. I thought because I was so skinny, I could afford to gain fat...except it's all stored in my midsection now. And in my defense, I did read on these very forums that it doesn't matter if you consume too many calories if you're skinny.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is for people with this problem. At 6'0 tall, being the mid-170's is still pretty skinny. I'm nowhere near my target weight and I'd definitely like to continue on bulking. I was planning on bulking at least until the end of the year. Would you recommend someone in my position continue bulking hoping my midsection doesn't get worse? This time doing a slow, clean bulk and actually tracking my calories. Or do a cut even though I'm still skinny? Just thinking about losing weight and dropping down to the 160's and 150's make me shudder...but I will if I have to do it.

I've definitely learned my lesson though...eat right! Using the healthy Maximus as my weightgainer doesn't look too bad now as an option either...even though I still think it's very expensive.
    Last edited by Blade55; 09-08-2007 at 01:48 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Also, how do you find out your bodyfat percentage? At the doctor's office right?

If someone can help me out here with bulking/cutting concerns, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm really curious what Belial thinks of my problem after reading his opinions on bulking/cutting in this thread. http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=101621
    Last edited by Blade55; 09-03-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Anybody? please? I really don't know if I should continue bulking or do a cut...where's all the helpful people out?
    Last edited by Blade55; 09-04-2007 at 07:24 PM.

im no expert but i just read your situation..i would just clean up your diet and bulk to your target weight or slightly below, and then cut from there after you got a good grip on calorie intake. After your finished bulking you will have a good BF% idea and you can shoot from there.

Continue bulking but with a nice clean bulk. For me I find that simply trying to watch what I eat (i.e. no real crappy junk foods aside from the odd occasion) seems to work for me. If you keep putting on muscle it's going to be easier to lose the fat later on AND the fat might look a bit smaller in comparison to your now fantastically muscular physique :P. Clean bulk.

Maximus is expensive only on face value. Plenty of comparisons have been done about the actual amount of protein in each serving and it's quality and I've yet to see it be bested when a proper comparison is done.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

So with a clean diet my stomach won't get fatter, or at least, not TOO fat where it's an embarassing problem. I remember reading BFGuitar saying he got love handles in one of his posts from a bulk.

Belial, where are you? I'm curious what you think. I really respect your views on bodybuilding.

Also, can someone tell me how to find out your bodyfat percentage?