The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Prison

Prison

This is something that I've been wondering about for a little while now.

We all know that to get big you need calories calories calories. A good amount of fats carbs and plenty of protein. You need to eat regularly and eat right.

So how do people lift and stay/get big in prison without a rich full diet? Someone please explain this to me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1. They mostly sit all day long
    2. They usually just use freeweights (never seen a treadmill in a prison the few times I have visited)
    3. They don't consume junk food like candy or other crap
    4. I am pretty sure they get at least 2000 calories of pretty healthy but not quite good tasting food
    5. "There ain't anything else to do in the pen" - Ice Cube, Boyz in the Hood

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

indomitable will.
    Drugs help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    1. They mostly sit all day long
    2. They usually just use freeweights (never seen a treadmill in a prison the few times I have visited)
    3. They don't consume junk food like candy or other crap
    4. I am pretty sure they get at least 2000 calories of pretty healthy but not quite good tasting food
    5. "There ain't anything else to do in the pen" - Ice Cube, Boyz in the Hood

there are no freeweights in prisoin only treadmills and such.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

WBB Member
    Are we talking guys in a real prison, or guys in the prisons you see in movies and on TV?

In the movie and TV prisons, every inmate is a hulking monster. Have you been to an actual prison to verify that the same is true in real life?

I was wondering about the same thing. Maybe it is because of the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie500 View Post
    I was wondering about the same thing. Maybe it is because of the movies.
    Its is because of the movies. My dad works at FCI Elkton. and there are no free weights at, all they have are treadmills and other cardio stuff. Why would a prison want to make stronger more dangerus inmate?
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    -kobe bryant

There are some prisons with some weights, usually a bench or two and a crappy cable station, and I mean crappy. I remember seeing it in a documentary.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by mikey4402 View Post
    Its is because of the movies. My dad works at FCI Elkton. and there are no free weights at, all they have are treadmills and other cardio stuff. Why would a prison want to make stronger more dangerus inmate?
    It's not just because of the movies at all. Just because your dad's prison doesnt contain freeweights it doesnt account for ALL prisons. My dad worked at a prison before he retired and they had freeweights.

Weights can be an incentive for good behavior, the can relieve stress and frustration. it's not as easy to explain as 'if the criminal gets stronger he'll try and break someone's legs'. If a psychopathic inmate wants to try and kill a guard he'll go straight ahead no matter how big he is. It's the crazy bastard's ability to use extreme violence that's dangerous, not his physical conditioning (although of course that would help).

The last example of someone I saw who looked big is jay-z's old buddy who's just got out of jail and is now writing a book discrediting him. I saw a clip of him talking saying how he'd just got out, and he was pretty big. I think the fact that they do nothing all day as superman pointed out must help, and if weed/crack and whatever is available inside, then anabolics must be too.

All the prisons I've seen on MSNBC lockdown have free weights.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

If they have money on the books they have a endless supply of ramon noddles,crackers and other stuff.
    Life's journney is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out,shouting "HOLY CRAP...WHAT A RIDE!"

There is an article on T-Nation, in which one of their writers interviews a prison bodybuilder or powerlifter about his training, diet, etc. I don't remember who it was by.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah man, its usually the trustees who get to lift, and they can get food plus what ever drugs are on the streets are in thr prisons
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

indomitable will.
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    All the prisons I've seen on MSNBC lockdown have free weights.
    Yeah, any max security prison thing on whatever channel (Discovery?) those shows are on always have free weights. I remember watching a guy get stabbed by a bunch of other guys while doing dips.

It totally screwed up his form on those last reps.

Wannabebig Member
    Here in Ottawa, Canada...they've recently taken all the weights out of the prison. Kind of makes sense...why would you want inmates getting big?

Quote Originally Posted by garjagan View Post
    It's not just because of the movies at all. Just because your dad's prison doesnt contain freeweights it doesnt account for ALL prisons. My dad worked at a prison before he retired and they had freeweights.
    there was a bill passed in congress in 1989 that said federal prisons can not purchase new freeweights. And that goes for ALL US federal prisons. i guess there could still be some really old stuff still in the older prision. But once its broken they cant buy new. only cardio machines are allowed to be purchesed new, for the reasons i have spoke of.
    Last edited by mikey4402; 09-02-2007 at 12:13 PM.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    -kobe bryant

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outshine View Post
    Yeah, any max security prison thing on whatever channel (Discovery?) those shows are on always have free weights. I remember watching a guy get stabbed by a bunch of other guys while doing dips.

It totally screwed up his form on those last reps.
    LESSON: DON'T DO DIPS

i was watching a special on discovery about this and weight lifting was used as a way to reward the inmates. If they messed up, the weights got taken away.
    Not for self, but for others

Bench Press: 270 Squat: 250 Dead Lift: 365

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''

There is an obvious explanation for why prisoners get bigger without a good diet... newbie gains!! HAHAHAHAH...

Seriously, the dudes in Prison Break don't have many weights, and I believe everything I see on TV...

EC

Here is soemthing nobody seems to want to consider:

MAYBE some of these guys were big going into prison? So even if they just maintain or lose a little they are in fact, still big!

MOST prisoners are not big strong guys. SOME get bigger and stronger than when they come to prison. Even without weights, these guys will make use of anything in their cells to workout with. One guy literally rolled up his matress and stuffed it with objects to make it heavy so he could squat with it. Prisoners are very resourceful when it comes to ANYTHING they want.

And believe it or not, these guys are eating better than 90% of the free world.
    Last edited by MrWebb78; 09-02-2007 at 02:18 PM.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    wouldn't it be dangerous to allow the inmates to hold heavy objects in their hands?

depends on the object, and the inmate.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

State of Ohio I think has a policy on no free weights in prisons. I good friend of my family was the head warden for 15 years of two different maximum security prisons and I had the opportunity to visit one of them for a day before he retired. The only way they were allowed to do anything is if they were on good behavior for an extended period of time. Spending the day at that prison was one of the most interesting and eye opening things I've ever done.
    Last edited by redFury; 09-02-2007 at 05:09 PM.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    State of Ohio I think has a policy on no free weights in prisons. I good friend of my family was the head warden for 15 years of two different maximum security prisons and I had the opportunity to visit one of them for a day before he retired. The only way they were allowed to do anything is if they were on good behavior for an extended period of time. Spending the day at that prison was one of the most interesting and eye opening things I've ever done.
    Just imagine if it had been a day IN prison instead... haha
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)