Thread: How does my routine look?

How does my routine look?

A little background..I've lifted prior to this last summer, but never too hard..I would lift 3x a week and really only do upper body on those 3 days..I wouldnt really stick with it for more than maybe a few months..I didnt really know that i should have been lifting my whole body. So early in the summer i started lifting hard for my first time, 5 days a week, because one of my friends was gonna start doing it so i figured i might as well too...
    Once i got back to college this year i decided that i didnt really like the saturday and sunday off because by the time it was sunday i would really feel like crap and miss lifting. So i decided to make a 6 day workout. It is similar to what i was doing this summer but with a few extra lifts added in plus with the extra day it allows me to do some of the muscle groups 2x a week rather than just 1. But anyway here's my workout.

Monday:
    chest----4 sets of 8 reps
    Bench
    Incline Dumbbell Bench(wk1)/Inner Dumbbell Bench(wk2)
    Decline Bench
    triceps----4 sets of 8 reps
    Dumbbell Extensions
    Tricep Machine Pulldowns(wk1)/Close Grip Bench(wk2)

Tuesday:
    legs----4 sets of 8 reps
    Squats
    Dead Lift
    shoulders----4 sets of 8 reps
    Arnold Press
    Shoulder Machine
    Clean and Snatch(I think this is what its called...i do a clean then raise it above my head)

Wednesday:
    back----4 sets of 8 reps
    Lat Pulldowns
    Reverse Bench(A machine where you pull the weight in towards chest)
    Dumbbell Row(wk1)/Seated Dumbbell Flies(wk2)
    Row Machine(I just do a set amount of time or go until i'm dead)
    traps----4 sets of 8 reps
    Dumbbell Shrugs
    Barbell Shrugs

Thursday:
    Bench
    Incline Bench
    Dumbbell Bench
    Flyes
    biceps----4 sets of 10 reps
    Dumbbell Curls
    forearms----4 sets of 10 reps
    Forearm Curls

Friday:
    legs----4 sets of 8 reps
    Squats
    Close Grip Bench(wk1)/Dumbbell Extensions(wk2)
    Tricep Machine Pulldowns
    Shoulder Machine
    Military Press

Saturday:
    back----4 sets of 8 reps
    Row Machine
    Seated Dumbbell Flyes(wk1)/Dumbbell Row(wk2)
    Cleans
    Dumbbell Shrugs
    Barbell Shrugs

Basically where theres a wk1/wk2 thing i will do the first one on the first week then the 2nd week i will do the 2nd one.

edit--i also do an ab workout everyday.
    Last edited by hintsas5; 08-30-2007 at 09:49 PM.

That's not a good routine. You shouldn't lift more than 4 days a week. 5 is alright, but you have to have light days mixed in. Find a pre-made routine and do that one.

Quote Originally Posted by hintsas5 View Post
    Monday:
    Bench
    Incline Dumbbell Bench(wk1)/Inner Dumbbell Bench(wk2)
    Decline Bench
    Dumbbell Extensions
    Tricep Machine Pulldowns(wk1)/Close Grip Bench(wk2)
    You have 3 dedicated bench exercises here, and *1* dedicated leg exercise (deadlifts don't really count).

"Dumbbell Extensions" are the same things as tricep kickbacks. Throw those out, and put in skullcrushers.

Tuesday:
    legs----4 sets of 8 reps
    Squats
    Dead Lift
    Arnold Press
    Shoulder Machine
    Clean and Snatch(I think this is what its called...i do a clean then raise it above my head)
    They're called Clean and Jerks. Do these as your first shoulder exercise, as compound movements should be done with fresh strength and energy.

Wednesday:
    back----4 sets of 8 reps
    Lat Pulldowns
    Reverse Bench(A machine where you pull the weight in towards chest)
    Dumbbell Row(wk1)/Seated Dumbbell Flies(wk2)
    Row Machine(I just do a set amount of time or go until i'm dead)
    Dumbbell Shrugs
    Barbell Shrugs
    Move your deadlifts here, and substitute Tuesday's deadlifts for something like good mornings or reverse hypers.
    Why are your Seated Dumbbell Flies(wk2) here? That's not even "back".

What do you hope to accomplish with Barbell shrugs that you can't with dumbbell? Each successive exercise should be varied at least SLIGHTLY in order to be useful and effective. Think about it.

Thursday:
    Bench
    Incline Bench
    Dumbbell Bench
    Flyes
    biceps----4 sets of 10 reps
    Dumbbell Curls
    forearms----4 sets of 10 reps
    Forearm Curls
    Again, 3 dedicated bench exercises. Take at least one out.
    I have no idea why you are doing forearm curls. Take those out and do either static holds or farmer walks.

Friday:
    legs----4 sets of 8 reps
    Squats
    Close Grip Bench(wk1)/Dumbbell Extensions(wk2)
    Tricep Machine Pulldowns
    Shoulder Machine
    Military Press
    Throw in one more leg exercise here.

Saturday:
    back----4 sets of 8 reps
    Row Machine
    Seated Dumbbell Flyes(wk1)/Dumbbell Row(wk2)
    Cleans
    Dumbbell Shrugs
    Barbell Shrugs

Basically where theres a wk1/wk2 thing i will do the first one on the first week then the 2nd week i will do the 2nd one.

edit--i also do an ab workout everyday.
    Hope this helps.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Quote Originally Posted by IZich View Post
    You have 3 dedicated bench exercises here, and *1* dedicated leg exercise (deadlifts don't really count).

"Dumbbell Extensions" are the same things as tricep kickbacks. Throw those out, and put in skullcrushers.

They're called Clean and Jerks. Do these as your first shoulder exercise, as compound movements should be done with fresh strength and energy.

Move your deadlifts here, and substitute Tuesday's deadlifts for something like good mornings or reverse hypers.
    Why are your Seated Dumbbell Flies(wk2) here? That's not even "back".

What do you hope to accomplish with Barbell shrugs that you can't with dumbbell? Each successive exercise should be varied at least SLIGHTLY in order to be useful and effective. Think about it.

Again, 3 dedicated bench exercises. Take at least one out.
    I have no idea why you are doing forearm curls. Take those out and do either static holds or farmer walks.

Throw in one more leg exercise here.

Hope this helps.

Just to clear a few things up...sorry, i dont exactly do the exercises on the certain days in that exact order..so i do do the clean and jerks as the 1st shoulder exercise..
    I'm not exactly sure what the seated dumbbell flyes are called so i just call them that...It is indeed a back workout tho...what i do is lay with my chest/stomach on an incline bench and do like reverse flies kinda like a dumbbell row..sorry for the confusion on that one...
    As the the trap workout..I tried to look online for some different exercises but i couldnt really find much other than those two. I read that rotations are extremely bad for your rotator cuff so i didnt want to do those. Any suggestions on a different trap exercise with an explanation would be helpful.

When you say to take one of the three dedicated chest workouts out why is that? i feel that if i dont do 3 or 4 chest exercises on a chest day that i dont get a very good burn and my chest doesnt really seem to react to just 2 exercises. I do the 'forearm curls' as i call them just for a forearm exercise...I am a baseball player so i figured i would throw forearms in there for 1 day a week..are the static curls or farmer walks a forearm exercise? will you explain them?

I think i'll give good mornings a try on one of my legs days. It just seemed like an exercise that if i'd never done it i could be prone to injury cuz it does look like it puts strain on the back..but i guess i'll give them a shot.

also thanks for the help and feedback izich.
    Last edited by hintsas5; 08-31-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    Farmers walks are good. But I think you got a bit too much volume. And you don't need "a good burn" for an exercise to be effective. As you said make sure you know how to do goodmornings correctly, it can cause injuries if you don't know how to do them correctly, just like every exercise.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Way to much volume man. You need to let your body rest so it can grow.

Here is a link that has a muscle directory and list a bunch execises for each body part and shows you how to do them.
    Click here
    Weight:185
    Height:5'11
    Goal:To get huge.

"Others would just say, 'Death Valley' and leave it at that. But not LSU. Here, it's 'Welcome to Death Valley.' That's beautiful. It's like descending into Hell and finding a sign that reads, 'Satan Invites You to Enjoy Eternal Damnation.'" -Jim Capel, ESPN

Alright along with multiple other changes to this I am planning on adding good mornings...I need a quick recommendation on what i should do for these as far as a good starting weight. Keep in mind i have never tried these so i dont want to throw too much weight on there the 1st time and kill myself..I squat about 255 for 8 reps on my squat days so idk if that helps or not as far as someone maybe telling what i should do for good mornings. Also if anyone could give me any pointers or anything else as far as the exercise goes that would be great too.