The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Computer Hardware Question, for the geeks

I have a SATA-150 HDD on my computer. I was wondering if I can put the new SATA-300 in my computer? I hear it's forwards compatible, so I don't think it should be an issue. Also, how would I go about transferring the data from my 80 GB HDD to a newer HDD?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm just curious, because I think my computer is running "slower" due to a lot of HDD space being used up. Over 80% is used up currently and it would be much more efficient to just purchase a large 500+ GB HDD. Not to mention it would be very simple to just keep this computer then while saving up for another one.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Go with the 500GB one. The compatibility will be fine. Hard drive space is cheap these days.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Yeah, everything is so cheap.....

I remember paying as much for 80 GB's a couple years ago as you would for 320+ GB's now.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    Also, how would I go about transferring the data from my 80 GB HDD to a newer HDD?

Norton Ghost is an easy utility to use to do this with. It's pretty quick too compared to some other programs. Here is a free utility that I've used in the past. It was a slow process (took like four hours), but that may have been due to the hard drive I was copying the data from was starting to show signs of going out.

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/HDC...clonefree.html

Well you can't beat free. The one I use to clone/back up customer's drives is over 100 bucks, so I can't recommend that one. It's Acronis True Image. Amazing program...but that free one should be fine.

You may also want to consider getting a SCSI drive. They have also come down in price.

Combat Infantryman
    I keep an external HDD around for this kind of work. You could also get one of those newfangled USB transfer cables, which is really a double male USB cable with software that will transfer from computer to computer via USB.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

So I could buy an external HDD and hook it up to my computer. Transfer every file from one drive to the other and then on to another? Isn't there a slight chance of information loss or bad sending?

An SCSI drive I don't think is compatible with my motherboard. I'll have to look into it more.

I have the K8N Neo Platinum Edition
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Combat Infantryman
    Nope, I do it all the time. You're just transferring personal stuff right? videos, music, movies, documents..etc? You can't transfer system files and stuff no matter what.
    U.S. Army Infantry

I'm just curious, because I think my computer is running "slower" due to a lot of HDD space being used up. Over 80% is used up currently and it would be much more efficient to just purchase a large 500+ GB HDD. Not to mention it would be very simple to just keep this computer then while saving up for another one.
    So are you running a single hdd? If so, and if it's defragged like crazy, that could be slowing it down. Aside from that it shouldn't slow down your speeds. I have a 90-95% full 400gb hdd and my machine is very fast.

So I could buy an external HDD and hook it up to my computer. Transfer every file from one drive to the other and then on to another? Isn't there a slight chance of information loss or bad sending?

An SCSI drive I don't think is compatible with my motherboard. I'll have to look into it more.

I have the K8N Neo Platinum Edition
    Have you considered maybe keeping the old hdd and getting a new one? Then you could transfer some stuff to the new one, which I presume will be bigger? When I built (lol, when my friend built) my computer, we just took the old piece of crap hdd that was in my old PC, used it for windows/programs, and put the big seagate 400gb hdd in for media only. That way my old drive (which all my programs run off of) has no media on it, is always at a low %, so I can defrag if needed, and all my media's on the other one (which is far too full to defrag, and does make media apps run a little slower. I should defrag, I just can't bring myself to part with all the files I'd need to to get it to the point it would allow a defrag (85% full max I think).)
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Dude just hook it up as a slave drive than you don't have to do any transfer and you save all your big stuff to the 500 gig one. Also I don't think it being full should effect the speed that dramatically, how much ram do you have in your computer?
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Also I don't think it being full should effect the speed that dramatically, how much ram do you have in your computer?
    It can, but only when you need a bunch of virtual memory. Fragmentation is the bigger issue.

In most real world applications your going to benefit far more from jumping to a 10,000 RPM drive then you would by going SATA II over SATA. On paper the SATA II should be twice as fast, in most cases its not much faster at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikkstah View Post
    Nope, I do it all the time. You're just transferring personal stuff right? videos, music, movies, documents..etc? You can't transfer system files and stuff no matter what.
    Actually, you can. You can completely clone a drive and transfer it to another drive...system settings, files, etc. and all. I do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Also I don't think it being full should effect the speed that dramatically, how much ram do you have in your computer?
    The amount of RAM is irrelevant if your drive is horribly fragmented. The spinning discs in a hard drive have to read information from different parts of a drive. A single file could be split over 4-5 different places on the drive and the hard drive has to look for every part of the file before it can open it. This slows down seek times quite a bit. You can boost the speed of your drive by 200-400% by keeping it defragmented. Defragmenting the drive takes the file and puts the pieces together in one place so the drive doesn't have to work as hard to find the information.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-09-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Combat Infantryman
    So if you copy C:Windows to an external HDD and put it on a HDD on another machine, that machine will have the same perfect copy of Windows...?

I don't think that works.
    U.S. Army Infantry

???

There are both freeware and shareware programs that allow you to make a perfect copy of Windows. I've booted from external drives set to Master before. Stop overanalyzing things. I use Acronis True Image. And CBates provided a free version that probably works similarly.

And no, your method wouldn't work due to rights privileges and read-only files unable to transfer properly. You have to use a program that does all this at boot up to bypass the restrictions.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-09-2007 at 12:34 PM.

I didn't think of the fragmentation =P
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I didn't think of the fragmentation =P
    Also...about the drive being "full"...that can definitely effect the speed of the drive. There are parts of the plates that spin faster than other areas and therefore, whatever files are on the fastest parts of the plates will run the quickest. There are defrag programs out there...like UltimateDefrag...that you can customly set up to take all of your most frequently used programs and whatever else you choose to be put in those fastest parts of the disc and places the things you don't use so much to the slower part of the disc. This increases performance quite a bit and will especially be noticeable with a drive that is nearly full.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    There are defrag programs out there...like UltimateDefrag...that you can customly set up to take all of your most frequently used programs and whatever else you choose to be put in those fastest parts of the disc and places the things you don't use so much to the slower part of the disc. This increases performance quite a bit and will especially be noticeable with a drive that is nearly full.
    that's cool. Torrenting it as we speak.

It takes some getting used to. Read the help file regarding the different types of defragmentation methods and how to manually configure the method I was referring to above. Or you can simply read through their help PDF and you'll learn a crapload about hard drives and fragmentation. It's very informative. One feature you might like if you have a drive that's almost full is the option to defrag "fragmented files only". Meaning it'll only defrag fragmented files and it won't worry about space consolidation and taking 5 million years to defrag. It simply puts everything back together where need be, so it's pretty quick if you use that like once a day or something. It's a good program.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-09-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Also...about the drive being "full"...that can definitely effect the speed of the drive. There are parts of the plates that spin faster than other areas and therefore, whatever files are on the fastest parts of the plates will run the quickest. There are defrag programs out there...like UltimateDefrag...that you can customly set up to take all of your most frequently used programs and whatever else you choose to be put in those fastest parts of the disc and places the things you don't use so much to the slower part of the disc. This increases performance quite a bit and will especially be noticeable with a drive that is nearly full.
    Sounds killer - does it need the standard 15% free space to defrag? I have a 400gb that's full that is sooooo in need of defragging it's not even funny, but I can't get myself to part with any of the media on it to make 15% space...
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

I don't think that's required. Just try the "fragmented files only" option first.

I knew that I just was lazy and put that, I should have said "unless it's completely full" because I assumed it wasn't like filled to the brim.
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 09-09-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    I am SO glad I'm female.

God bless men. - Built

I was just saying.