Thread: Bent over barbell rows rough on the legs

Hybrid View

Bent over barbell rows rough on the legs

I don't know if I'm leaning too much or if my legs are just that weak from my hiatus of a few months, but doing barbell rows is really rough on them. I get an insanely intense burn after about the third rep and it feels like ass. Should I see if they catch up in the coming weeks or go back to lying dumbbell rows instead? I'm not sure which one would work best. I don't really feel like I get a good workout from the lying rows, the bent over ones feel better aside from my damn legs.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    What part of your legs are hurting? Your hammies? If so, work your hammies since that isometric hang of the "bent over" shouldn't really stress them.

It feels like more in my quads more than anything. My legs are probably just extra weak or something. I had to take a big break from doing anything deadlift related and that's the main source of leg work for me since I can't squat at the moment. Hopefully if/when I get my power rack I can finally start doing those.

Why can't you squat?

I don't have a squat rack or a gym nearby and I don't like the idea of doing front squats or doing them without a rack. Always seemed too risky for me, especially if I'm just starting out.

Go light. I full front squat without a rack (just one holding the bar up). Give it a shot sometime. Any quad exercise is better than nothing even *cough* leg press.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I agree progress, you should do front squats, those will help build up your quads nicely. I have a Rack and I don't even do them in there most of the time. If you miss a rep you could just drop the weight.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

I'd need to get those foam pads or something before I thought about dropping the weight. I'm just not set up at all to do squats, but I'll look into it. I don't particularly want to clean the weight up either unless I move my bench around when I want to do them so I can get under the barbell that way. Soon rather than later I should have a rack that I can properly squat with.

EDIT: Sweet, I just found out that the lat option for the rack is in fact the same one Dick's has, model number P-LTO. I'm going to head down there and ask if they have any plans on getting the power rack in.
    Last edited by berfles; 09-09-2007 at 07:20 PM.