The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carb cycling vs good ole calorie counting

What I'm asking basically is simple.

I'm fat, like if you could be a champion of fat people then I'd be one.

I'm cutting, slowly but surely. I've lost from 320 down to 265 but need to drop another 50 pounds or so.

My calorie range is easy to control, my macros well.. not so easy.

Is it really worth all the extra effort I'd have to make to cycle my carbs vs just keeping protein high and carbs as low as I can manage? Would it really make my cutting that much more effective?

I'm SO tired of being fat that no matter how long it takes or how inefficient I am in doing so that I'll get there. But why work harder when you can work smarter.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Like I said before, I think that a PSMF would be right up your alley. Seriously man, if you want to jumpstart your fat loss, give that a look.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    Like I said before, I think that a PSMF would be right up your alley. Seriously man, if you want to jumpstart your fat loss, give that a look.
    +1 for PSMF. Or UD 2.0 but I think PSMF would suit your needs better.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

The biggest advantage I've seen from carb cycling is it makes it easier to control my appetite if I only eat starches on my lifting days.

In their absence, it's easier to undereat, so I go a lot lower on the low-carb days so I can enjoy going a lot higher on my workout days and still run a deficit overall.

It all comes down to comfort. If you can stick with a deficit, you'll drop.

Yeah, I would forget the UD 2.0 for now. No need to be a masachist when you don't need to be..but when you do get low enough, UD 2.0 is your best friend. Awesome diet so far. I've dropped atleast 2-3% BF in less than three weeks and strength is going up.
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

Max Lifts:

If you do a bunch of psmf cycles and cheat 20 % of the time you're still gonna be doing kick ass.

I've had wonderful results with low carbs, high protein and calorie counting. Actually, I know about where my maintenance is, but I don't even worry about it. I just take in as much protein as possible each day and call it a day. I think a lot of people go overboard with these things. Just be consistent. You can do all the fad diets, but changing them all the time may not always be the best thing.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    I agree with the PSMF idea. However, if you find its too hard to stick to then use the advice of builts.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Learning as I progress
    The best plan, is the one thats not retarted and you can stick with the longest.

So no going to crazy extremes with macros(think VERY high carb, VERY low fat), a modest deficit, and somethign that fits your life.

Me - I dont eat until after 12 usually, some days not until 3 or 4, but im comfortable with it, and I adjust when need be.
    Complication breeds desperation.

If you don't want to go PSMF extreme, you could experiment with the IF Diet structure for a while and see what happens. Apparently, people who have used it have noticed that they need to eat more food to maintain weight as opposed to eating "normally". Although I still think you'd see great results with a 2 week PSMF.

Max Lifts:

if your patient, then go Built's route. if your impatient like me, I'd look into a 3 week or so PSMF.

btw I like your attitude with the whole thing. hang in there man, your making awesome progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    If you don't want to go PSMF extreme, you could experiment with the IF Diet structure for a while and see what happens. Apparently, people who have used it have noticed that they need to eat more food to maintain weight as opposed to eating "normally". Although I still think you'd see great results with a 2 week PSMF.
    it's true, for me at least

I have to eat way more to just maintain my weight on IF....gotta do a little experimenting with it on my bulk so I can actually gain weight, otherwise I'll just go back to normal overeating
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Can someone explain more or give me a link about PSMF diet's. I've being looking around but cant find a decent explaination of it.

It is a book by Lyle McDonlad. Look for his website.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by dpdd View Post
    Can someone explain more or give me a link about PSMF diet's. I've being looking around but cant find a decent explaination of it.
    www.bodyrecomposition.com

Do that voodoo that he do
    How long have you been dieting? If you've been dieting straight for months already then doing a PSMF for any length of time is one step out of ****ing ******ed.

Are you still dropping fat? Cool, then keep doing what you're doing. If you're mentally having a hard time controlling yourself, then carb-cycling might be either a fix or will blow you open. Try it for a week and see.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

You just need to stop being a little bitch and stick to something.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    You just need to stop being a little bitch and stick to something.
    That could certainly be the root of the problem.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Yeah man. Consistency. How bad do you want it? How bad do you want to be ripped and have girls all over you? Trust me, it feels damn good. For the first time in my life I actually have girls coming up to me and hitting on me. And considering I'm at a huge campus here, it's like heaven.
    Last edited by ray34iyf; 09-06-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Max Lifts:

IF would fit my schedule pretty nicely actually. So I think I'm going to go with that.

I'll only eat in the range of 4 P.M to 10 P.M. and the other 18 hours of the day the only things I'll be consuming would be water.

I guess the best way to figure this out is through trial and error.

When you get low enough..<15%, seriously take a look at UD2. I've lost ALOT of fat and gained a tad of muscle in only 3 weeks.

Max Lifts:

Do a PSMF!!!

I dropped quite a bit of fat in 1.5 weeks and I think a person in your situation can really really benefit. PSMF is geared toward fatties.

I want to minimize loose skin as much as possible. I don't want to crash diet down 50 pounds in 3 months. It'll be winter for most of this cut, I won't be walking around with my shirt off and I'll be wearing heavier clothes.... so its not like I have to get lean over night. I've also been what I would call fat for about 6 years now, before I was chubby but for the last 6 years I've just been FAT. I can spend the better part of a year taking care of this if thats what it takes.

Honestly if my parents would even meet me halfway on altering the types of foods they purchase, PSMF would be the way I'd go. I simply cannot eat over 300g of protein every day, I just can't. It seems everything they buy is processed and loaded with carbs and sugars and fats and little protein.

My dads always been lean (er) but he's now becoming very skinny fat and my mom always was overweight but it can't help that she drinks a gallon of iced tea per day and eats mostly fried foods or take out. So the selection of food they buy really is having a global effect on the household.

Its hard on me to shop for myself, because I have a lot of other financial responsibilities such as my education any my transportation (mainly to the site of education). But I want it bad enough, I'll find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    I want to minimize loose skin as much as possible. I don't want to crash diet down 50 pounds in 3 months. It'll be winter for most of this cut, I won't be walking around with my shirt off and I'll be wearing heavier clothes.... so its not like I have to get lean over night. I've also been what I would call fat for about 6 years now, before I was chubby but for the last 6 years I've just been FAT. I can spend the better part of a year taking care of this if thats what it takes.

Honestly if my parents would even meet me halfway on altering the types of foods they purchase, PSMF would be the way I'd go. I simply cannot eat over 300g of protein every day, I just can't. It seems everything they buy is processed and loaded with carbs and sugars and fats and little protein.

My dads always been lean (er) but he's now becoming very skinny fat and my mom always was overweight but it can't help that she drinks a gallon of iced tea per day and eats mostly fried foods or take out. So the selection of food they buy really is having a global effect on the household.

Its hard on me to shop for myself, because I have a lot of other financial responsibilities such as my education any my transportation (mainly to the site of education). But I want it bad enough, I'll find a way.
    I know you might be struggling financially, but if you can put aside 20 dollars a week for your nutritional needs you can make this work. Two chicken breasts, two cans of tuna, 2-3 scoops of whey and you're already at 200 grams of protein. Do what you have to do to get where you gotta go. Good luck.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    I want to minimize loose skin as much as possible. I don't want to crash diet down 50 pounds in 3 months.
    I'm definitely not trying to talk you into rushing your weight loss, but I lost 50lbs in just under 3 months and I've never had any loose skin whatsoever....that's me though at 30yrs old...I'm sure it's different for different people at different ages (I think I've read that the older you are the more likely you are to get it).