Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a Frat worth it?

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar

Is a Frat worth it?

Hey everyone. For those that have ever been in a fraternity, is the monetary costs worth all the fun? I know everyone has been suggesting that I just become friends with people already in a Frat but that doesn't really work out in reality. I know next to nobody at my new college. All of my roommates are total geeks that play video games all day. I wanted to catch some good parties on the weekends and I've already asked some of them and they all don't go to any social events at all. I'm really trying very hard to make new friends (I'm a very sociable guy so its usually pretty easy). But its hard to meet new people when you literally don't know ANYONE. So I was considering joining a frat to not only go to good parties but to actually meet more people and make some friends. Joining a frat costs dues though anywhere from $200-300 dollars. I have the money to spend but at the same time I don't. I have $1400 in the bank but that has to last me 9 months.

So for the people that have been in a fraternity would you say its worth it? Thanks again for any advice.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I don't think its worth it right now. Its your first year, give it at the VERY least the first semester.. and I'd say the first two for good measure.

If you haven't found any party connections by then, they what the hell just pay for the frat dues.

Wouldn't that be counter productive? Shouldn't I join one now that way I'll make connections early. Then later on I won't need to officially join or pay dues because I would know enough people by then. Through the actual fraternity and through people I meet at parties that they throw.

I know college is about getting an education. Which is what I'm doing. But I don't want this semester to be uneventful and I want to have some fun while I'm up here. I don't want to be looking back and wishing that I could've had more fun then I did.
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I'm surprised more people haven't responded. I know some of you guys had to have been in a frat.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Isn't this like.. your 3rd day of college? Don't worry about making friends yet. Trust me, they will come. I knew some people from high school when I went to my school, so I hung around them all the time at first. Huuuuuge mistake. By hanging out with people I already knew, it took me a while to become friendly with people I didn't know (i.e. roommate, people on my floor, etc). Just talk to everyone, eventually you'll find your place. If you want to join a frat, do it because you think it will be fun, not because you're worried about making friends.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Wannabebig Member
    If i were in your situation, I know i probably would. I was a freshman last year, but frats just weren't really my thing. Plenty of my friends pledged, but I was pretty thankful in the end that i didnt end up pledging.
    Look at pledging like another full time class whatever semester you pledge in... aka its going to take up alot of your time and energy.
    With that said, its for some people, but not for others.
    Ide say in YOUR situation ide deffinetly wanna join something like that

I think it's def. worth it

I didn't even join until my junior year of college and I honestly wish I had done it way sooner. You meet so many people and get to take part in so many more things than the average student. It's not all stereotypical drinking. There are tons of opportunities for service work (and it's actually fun - example -> sorority charity events)

Everyone will tell you "oh you're buying your friends", but it's bull****..this is hard for people to believe who haven't gone through the experience, so I'll leave it to you to either take my word for it or not

I never thought that I would join one, all my friends in HS did, but I never thought so...and then one day I had the urge to go to some rush events, loved it, and haven't looked back since

my only advice to you is to rush as many fraternities as you can so that when/if you finally choose one you know it's the right one
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

To quote myself quoting blanch_saprano in your other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    That's exactly what I've had a bunch of older friends told me. I was all ready for the rush before I moved in untill I talked to a guy at work that left his frat because he hated it so much. Everybody say's it's way too expensive and you live pretty much in ****.

A couple weeks later I went to a frat party during my orientation and quickly learned I'll never be joining one. My shoes literally stuck to the kitchen/living room floors (which were all pure cement). It didn't seem like anybody gave a crap who you were anyways, so it won't be a problem finding stuff to do if your not in a frat. I'm a pretty clean person, so I'll let them live in filth while I enjoy their free alcohol.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    Joining a frat costs dues though anywhere from $200-300 dollars. I have the money to spend but at the same time I don't. I have $1400 in the bank but that has to last me 9 months.

So for the people that have been in a fraternity would you say its worth it? Thanks again for any advice.
    I don't know what school you go to Jordan, but at least where I am, dues are a lot more than that. I've had quite a few people tell me that after dues and rent a frat costs quite a bit more than normal room and board.

I really wouldn't worry about it much right now man. Just give it some time, after a week or two of going to classes you'll eventually meet people. If you're that desperate just wander the streets till you find a random frat party. Not sure what it's like where you are, but I can walk down numerous streets lined with frat houses. Get hosed and meet some people.

Combat Infantryman
    Didn't you move in on Sunday? Calm down dude, I don't even move to school until after the first week of classes, it's all syllabus bull**** anyways.

Two friends from high school joined the big frat at my old college and they had to pay a signup due, monthly dues, and they had to live in the frat the first year they joined and they paid $750 a month for just a room in the frat house. You gotta do **** like clean the frat house and do on-campus stuff for the frat too. If you're living on $1400 for a whole year, I'd get a job instead of getting a frat.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

I know but I just want to meet some new people ASAP. I'm sick of eating my meals alone in the cafeteria. I'm also sick of sitting around my dorm sulking because I have no one to hang out with.

Yesterday I met two new guys that I hung out with for 3 hours. It was pretty fun. But I would still like to meet some more and meet some people that actually go to parties (everyone I met doesn't do that stuff at ALL).

Dues shouldn't be more then $300. I go to a small college.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

You can't make friends without joining a frat?

Join a Club, talk to people from your classes, talk to people at the gym. Rush a frat or two and meet people without joining. I was thinking about joining when I started school, I ended up making friends with a bunch of guys from a few frats and now I go to most of the parties which kicks ass, even the frat/sorority mixers they throw for the brothers.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Go meet people. Geez, it isn't that hard. Go find some people in when you eating, just ask if you can eat with them and introduce yourself.

Like Unfatty said, join a club.

Frat is up to you, but last time I checked frat dues were $5-6k a year normally. Plus, you have to be invitied to join, it isn't like you just get to pick which one you want to be in. You will have to rush and get bids and all that junk.
    Nick V

Forget the Frat man. I was going to join one my first year and I'm glad I didn't. It's easy enough to meet people and get connections without one. If anything, a Frat can limit the number of friends you'll make.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    If anything, a Frat can limit the number of friends you'll make.
    Right......
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Combat Infantryman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I know but I just want to meet some new people ASAP. I'm sick of eating my meals alone in the cafeteria. I'm also sick of sitting around my dorm sulking because I have no one to hang out with.

Yesterday I met two new guys that I hung out with for 3 hours. It was pretty fun. But I would still like to meet some more and meet some people that actually go to parties (everyone I met doesn't do that stuff at ALL).

Dues shouldn't be more then $300. I go to a small college.

Everyone I give a **** about hanging out with I met at the gym or in the Army. Don't join something just to make friends when they might have nothing in common with you anyways. Ask around the gym about a powerlifting or bodybuilding club.
    U.S. Army Infantry

I agree with Unholy's and Bikkstah's sentiments here. There should be tons of clubs you can join that suit your interests. I joined the Masters Swim Team here and met tons of great friends there. Then I joined the Powerlifting Club and have met tons of new friends there, as well. Do what you like with other people who like the same things and a social life will follow.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Frats are for people who have to pay to make friends.

I don't understand... most frats have prerush when they have tons of parties for weeks to get freshmen to visit them. You could definitely go to those.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Even after prerush you can usually just walk up to any party you want. At least around here nobody really cares or asks. Last night there was an 8 house block party and I think 95% of the kids there were freshman from the dorms.

Hey I was in a Fraternity and its not for everyone. And by everyone, I am talking about the guys you'll see sitting in their dorm room Friday and Saturday night with the other 10 guys playing Madden and drinking forties talking about all the chicks they use to bang in highschool. You have to ask yourself do you want to get out in the world and party or do you want to sit around every weekend hating life?

Also some people need a fraternity to break out of their shell. Not everyone feels comfortable going to a party and entering some guys house that they don't know and not knowing everyone there and getting the who the F are you stares.

For me it was a great experience and I could never imagine not goign to college and not being in a fraternity. I admit it, I originally pledged b/c I wanted to meet and hang out with sorority girls. I played football and hung out with a lot of the girl athletes, but the sorority girls were the hot chicks in school. But once I pledged and was in the fraternity a lot of times we just wanted to hang out and party by ourselves. People can say its buying your friends, but they are just ignorant to greek life or just had a bad experience with things. Why would you listen to someone who tells you not to join a fraternity? They either never have been in one so have no first hand experience or they know someone that was in a fraternity that dropped out but only after they met everyone and knew where to party or got some girlfriend that became their whole world.

This is what you do. Go Rush a bunch of fraternities and see if you like it. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO GO BY YOURSELF. If its not for you, you'll know, but this is what will happen. You'll go to the Rush cookout and then that will turn into a bunch of girls coming over and then that will turn into going out to the bar and then you'll wake up the next day in some girls bed.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Combat Infantryman
    Hey I was in a Fraternity and its not for everyone. And by everyone, I am talking about the guys you'll see sitting in their dorm room Friday and Saturday night with the other 10 guys playing Madden and drinking forties talking about all the chicks they use to bang in highschool.

Wow, way to over generalize to the max.
    U.S. Army Infantry

Haha, funny ****. I still don't get the whole "there's so much more to do and you meet so many more people" thing. Sure, you'll have more oportunities to go to some social functions, but it's not like living in the dorms condems you to boredom and no interaction with the outside world.

You do not need to be in a frat to have the kind of experience that Bill's outlined in his last post.

Just because your not in one doesn't mean that you'll be playing video games Friday and Saturday night. There are plenty of ways to meet people, and somtimes you don't even have to do anything really at all to do it. Some people do need broken out of their shell, but going from one extreme to the other probably isn't the best way to do it.

Just observe man, opportunites present themselves all the time. You just have to get better at recognizing them and then learning the better ways to act in certainty situations.

I've probably already blown 2 chances now to get laid in 4 days, thats about 2 more chances then I've ever had before really. I go from no girls at all basically talking to me the whole entire time I went to highs chool to having a legitimate shot at dippin my wick twice in four days. And I blew both those chances mainly because I had and even now really have very little confidence in myself and don't know how to talk to women at all. I'm not comfortable doing it really and I really kinda blew it big time the day before college even started. When I stand back and look at it, she wanted my wang and I shot her down cold by complete mistake.

So just let things come to you, don't force it. You say your in a small school, well thats easy. Let this first week go by but next week say hello and make a simple compliment to a girl even one thats not stupidly hot but just ok looking. Do this every day to a different random girl, possibly one thats in one of your classes... I bet at the very least one of those times will net a conversation and possibly more. Plant the seeds man, small schools will make this easier actually.

Combat Infantryman
    What is wrong with staying in and playing video games anyways? This country's obsession with binge drinking and going to the pub or club thurs-sun night is out of control, especially in college.
    U.S. Army Infantry