Thread: questions about hypertrophy and carb cycling/dieting

questions about hypertrophy and carb cycling/dieting

ok after nothing but reading through these forums and other sites that i have been shown from members on here. I officially started my cut today. nothing special i just try to keep it under 2500 calories or very close with high proteins and good fats. i still have problems with high too much carbs though.

1. reading about carb cycling and how effective it is, would that be the way to go? the article said something like day 1 was very low carbs to prepare your body. day 2-5 was low carbs as a "fat burning stage". and day 6 or 7 was a reload with high carbs and a more intense heavy weight work out.

2. i tried designing my own workout. splitting it into 4 days. days 1 and 3 as chest tri's and shoulders and day 2 and 4 legs back and bi's. but once again after reading around it looks like BGB might be the way to go. with about 4 or so excercises to each body part? opinions from anyone on that work out?

3. during a cut, particularly attempting carb cycling or just a regular calorie cut, which type of lifting would be most beneficial to keep muscle? i read about 3 types..hypertrophy, one where u kept constant strain on the muscle, and one more but i forgot it.

anyway sorry for the book thanks for the help guys and girls

Watchya talkn bout willis
    Well hypertrophy is not really going to be there during a cut. Just stick to compounds and lift heavy and you should be alright. BGB is a great program.
    Last edited by North; 09-06-2007 at 10:05 PM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

any comments on the carb cycling/.?

btw i dont think i quite understand hypertrophy :-/

second for BGB...best program I have used

and as stated, I wouldn't worry too much about hypertrophy while cutting, just lift heavy and try and preserve as much LBM as possible

EDIT: hypertrophy is basically an increase in muscle size
    Last edited by KingWilder; 09-06-2007 at 10:09 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member
    Hey dude im cutting now and it sucks. BAsically once youve figured out your maintainance cals decrease10% - 20% from them. Im assuming youve done this. In regard to carb cycling just make sure on lifting days you eat carbs pre and post workout. And lift heavy 6-8reps. Doing all compounds squats deadlift bench press and overhead military press. If you dont loose weight decrease cals by a further hundered or so.

ok ok..

question about BGB. how do you guys that use it, vary rep ranges while cutting? keep it in the 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps? keeping compound lifts frequent.

could be interesting and very beneficial for me. im a moderatly strong kid but i have never done dead before :?

well, i might kind of see rep range suggestions on Builts BGB page

Watchya talkn bout willis
    deadlifts are great, I would probably go a little lower in reps than 6-8 but just make sure your not going too high. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps would probably be best.
    Last edited by North; 09-06-2007 at 10:17 PM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

alrighty..thanks fellas. i am going to attempt to start carb cycling along with BGB on monday then.