Thread: "growth spurt" after wrestling...

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar

"growth spurt" after wrestling...

any wrestlers in here? if u're a wrestler, u prolly knwo that we net gain like 10-20lbs of LBM (20lbs from b4 wrestling starts) after the seasonn's over... does anyone know why?

i didn't wrestle yet this year, cuz college wrestling starts now, while hs wrestling ends now. i'm gaining weight and adding lbages on my lifts as if i ended hs wrestling season as well. does our brain remember our yearly schedules from previous years (i wrsetled 2 years, and i gained the msot weight about 2 weeks after each end of wrestling season) and bulid up our hormones??? tis is pretty interesting stuff, and i wanna know why we gain weight after the overtraining practices of wrestling.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    some of my best friends are wrestlers, one of them quite intelligent, so he researched the topic. Apparently because of the harshness of practices and meets, your muscles never fully recover. The reason you gain so much muscle mass is that your body is finallly healing fully, and it's like a whiplash effect on muscle growth.

Like Accipiter said, and if you do what many wrestlers do to make weight you are constantly dehydrated and malnurished (sp?) during the season. So when the season is over and you aren't training so much and are eating and drinking more you gain a lot of water weight back.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

ya, thats what im saying, especially since we are CONSTANTLY trying to make weight and stay as light as possible with max strength, our eating habbits suck and our training is intense and long, kills our bodies, but makes us better for the wear in the long run.. then, when we finally start eating and sleeping and training right, our bodies go into "super-repair mode" (thats a technical term)..

O, good I thought the growth spurt may have been in your pants after wrestling a guy

blah, typical wrestler = gay cliche/stereotype.. how do the british say it?? "bollocks"!!

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    bullox I believe.

Bigger fewl
    No offense to anyone, but what people do for wrestling is stupid, esspecially in teen years when the body is trying to grow.

I've heard of people having the same effect. It is likely because you are having suddenly a greater intake of food and rest and recovery time from training.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

There's also a delayed training effect that occurs after periods of demanding training when the training volume is reduced.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

my sophomore year i put on 20 lbs after wrestling ended. i always gain about 10 pounds at least and i still maintain a lean conditioned look

I know what you mean DCYO, i feel so bad for my friends that wrestle, the way they abuse their bodies that way, that's GOT to have an affect down the road...

I was laying in the sauna when some guy starts doing jumping jacks right next to me. I'm trying to enjoy it and some idiot starts doing pushups and jumping jacks. I say "What are you trying to get out of doing that?" He says "I'm trying to lose weight". I told him, sure you'll lose weight- water weight. I said you must have been a wrestler in high school. Of course he was, and he really thought that exercising in a sauna will make him in better shape because it burns more fat.

O yeah when he was done he got a growth spurt in his pants

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    well, when i mean gain weight, it's not water weight, b/c i usually end up heavier than b4 i started wrestling

anyway, the question is was focused on more might be the "primal" benefits of wrestling. a lot of animals wrestle, esp teh hunters. tey don't lift weights, and are much bigger than captivated ones. does wrestling have a similar effect in that our body responds well to it?

also, i do agree that we do abuse our bodies, but there are ways of minimizing damage (such as no dehydration for more than 24hors; dehydration doesn't start damage til more than 24hours)
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000