The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: New Ab Workout

New Ab Workout

Its that time of the year to change up my workout routine. I usually change it up every six weeks or so since I get no motivation to go through the same old routine again (i am feeling that right now). Building the three days of legs, chest, shoulders, etc. is easy for me, but I am having a hell of a time trying to get an Abdominal routine that works.

It seems like everything I try to do for my abs doesn't give me that sore feeling the next day. I feel a burning when I do it, but never the day after. I can't really tell any difference in my abs anymore either

Here is a list of the things I usually do. Anyone give me some new things to try so I can try to get my soreness back?

-
    Cable crunches
    Normal crunches
    Legs raised
    Ball crunches (weighted or unweighted)
    Obliques (weight in one arm leaning to the other side)
    Medicine ball crunches (elevated)
    Bicycle crunches
    Pull-ins (weighted) [I dunno if that is what it is called, but I sit on the edge of the bench with my weight between the arches of my feet and pull my legs in]

Any help would be appreciated.
    tikki
    http://www.carpeaqua.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you maybe overtraining your abs?
    How many times a week do you hit them, and what is your current ab routine?

geez man, thats a lot of ab work, abs are just like any other muscle and CAN be overtrained, i say cut back on volume keep it to only a few excercises, i would say weighted crunches, leg lifts and maybe some oblique excercise..

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    do 4 or 5 sets max on abs. if you're doing deadlifts and squats, rows, etc, then you're hitting them enough. I personally do maybe 3 sets twice a week at most.

I don't do that all in one workout. I only do two or three of those exercises for three sets of about 15.

Just happens that none of them seem to work anymore.
    tikki

what kind of results are you looking for? If your looking for the ability to SEE your abs, thats more body fat than anything. If your looking for size, make sure your not over training them, I do little to no ab work and my abs are quite strong, just from the other excercises i do. If your looking to get "sore" your looking for the wrong thing...

I am looking for a tighter feel. The reason I mention the soreness is because I never feel the abs the day after, so I am afraid that all my work is for nothing

I know I will get them to show more by eating right, I'd like them to at least feel tight while I wait for the fat to melt away.
    tikki

Soreness is no indicator of workout effectiveness.
    I dont know what you mean by "tight."
    My abs are fine, but dont feel "tight."

Am I missing something here?
    Are you associating this with the soreness issue?

Wannabebig Member
    try doing upside-down situps while holding the heaviest plate u can take! that will hit em good enough to get u sore i bet!

Right now they just feel like there are a giant blob of worthlessness. They aren't hard. I dunno how to describe it. I am no english major.
    tikki

if your looking for them to be in a constant "flex" state, it cant happen, even with a ripped size pack and all the striations in the world it wont feel flexed, that will just be your normal relaxed state.. If your talking about the mushy, blobby, "I know they are under there somewhere feeling" its all about body fat %, lower that, and they will no longer be mushy.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    if they feel soft, even though you see them, that may just be water. I'm not suggesting dehydrating yourself, just tossing that out there. Keep reps lower too, abs are just like any other muscle, keep weights heavy, and reps at the 10 8 6 area. they're a small muscle group so don't be doing more than maybe 4 or 5 sets at a time on them.