The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    not so little anymore Little John's Avatar

Slipped disc during DL's 5 months ago - returning today!

Hey Guys,

I haven't even been able to sit at the computer until a month ago after slipping the disc between L4-L5 in my spine. Now I believe them when they say it's one of the most painful medical conditions. I've had the feeling of being stabbed by a large sword in my left hip every time I stood up after sitting for any prolonged period.

Obviously I'll be starting light and building slowly as I've been off lifting for 5 months. I won't be deadlifting any more than the empty bar to begin with. I will commence Pilates classes twice a week as part of my routine to develop more core strength, and will probably stick to the exercises that I've already learned (WBB1).

If you, the reader, feel so inclined as to have a crack at advising me further as to what to do / not to do, I'd be most appreciative of your sound advice. I'm hitting the gym later tonight with my girlfriend. I can't wait for the DOMS rush again!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you feel like your being stabed in the hip wit a large sword every time you stand up from a long siting period, dont do deadlifts at all.

I say front squats.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    Hey Guys,

I haven't even been able to sit at the computer until a month ago after slipping the disc between L4-L5 in my spine. Now I believe them when they say it's one of the most painful medical conditions. I've had the feeling of being stabbed by a large sword in my left hip every time I stood up after sitting for any prolonged period.

Obviously I'll be starting light and building slowly as I've been off lifting for 5 months. I won't be deadlifting any more than the empty bar to begin with. I will commence Pilates classes twice a week as part of my routine to develop more core strength, and will probably stick to the exercises that I've already learned (WBB1).

If you, the reader, feel so inclined as to have a crack at advising me further as to what to do / not to do, I'd be most appreciative of your sound advice. I'm hitting the gym later tonight with my girlfriend. I can't wait for the DOMS rush again!
    How did the injury occur. Was it the result of poor form?

Wannabebig Member
    I actually ruptured my L5, hell it felt like I was being stabbed when I sat, lied down, ate, drove a car, moved the wrong way etc. The extreme pain then numbness ran down to my foot even. After surgery and injections what really helps is stretching. I know it sucks and I would neglect doing it but when the pain comes you'll wish you had. I would stop the dl's all together, I have. Also drop the ego when squatting and go for reps. Strengthen the core/stabilizer muscles. Start slowly.

Good luck

I think the disc slipped because I didn't rest enough between reps of my maximum DL weight. I remember getting through 5 reps and on the 5th saying "oh no" as I felt my core stabilizer muscles dropping out of action. Then there was pain... Then it got steadily worse as the disc contacted the central nervous column over the next few hours, turning into weeks and months. I'm not sure whether it was bad technique or simply not resting between reps but I'll definitely get a trainer to help me with my form before I deadlift again. I need to find a good one in Melbourne, Australia so I won't ask you guys for who the best is It will be some time before I do that though, as I still have some symptoms of the injury so I won't be putting any substantial weight on my spine for a while. I'm hoping I can be committed enough to Pilates classes to build up my core strength to the point where I can DL properly again. Thanks for the replys guys! What is the advantage of front squats to normal squats?

I'm sure someone here has a better technical reason for it. In my case, it means I achieve better form because the weight is in front, so I am forced to counterbalance by pushing my hips back and down; it also means I get better quad stimulation with lower weight - my quads get just as hard a hit or harder with a front squat of 135 as they got with back squats at 155. So, better form, better position for the weight, better quad stimulation, and less weight on my spine.

Thanks Built, that's plenty technical enough for me.

Wannabebig Member
    man, i'm scared to push my deads now, cuz i have a bad lower back which i have been trying to strengthen w/ deads.

I vote for front squats too. They allow most people to stay more upright at the bottom, placing less shear stress on the spine.
    I'm actually suffering a back/hip injury that sounds pretty similar to what you describe, only no where near as severe. I get a dull pain in my hip after sitting for long periods. I'm considering taking more time off but given that sitting seems to be the only thing that bothers it(something i'm forced to do a lot of), i'm not sure if theres a point. Front squat dont seem to bother it and its slooowly getting better. Any advise built?