The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bulking

Wannabebig Member

Bulking

I have been bulking for around 5 months or so and since then have went from 155-173 lbs. (18% BF) , and i have made ok muscle gains (unfortuanatley a decent amount of fat), but in the last few weeks i have gained alot of fat on my belly, an amount that I am not happy with and want to change. I want to keep bulking to 200, but by then I would be so discouraged with the belly fat, i couldnt keep bulking. My question is , should i keep bulking and just do more cardio, clean up my diet, or start cutting? I really dont want to cut because if i cut, i would have very little muscle to be shown because i started working out only about 8 months ago. I get around 2700 calories a day, 50 or so grams of fat, 180g protein, and too many carbs is maybe my problem, thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by senor fusion; 03-13-2005 at 12:41 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    you just answered your own question.

Trying to learn on the fly
    it is a personal decision. you have stated good reasons to keep bulking and good reasons to start cutting. you have to decide

as far as suggestions, mabye try getting some more good fats and fewer carbs. give it a shot and see how things go

2700 calories doesn't seem like that much for someone your size who wants to gain weight, so you might want to look at the quality of your calories and your workout regimen

Wannabebig Member
    heres my diet if it helps any:

bfast: 8 egg whites, oatmeal, glass of oj
    midmorning: Pbj w/ natty pb, an orange
    lunch: tuna on wheat, an apple
    snack: peanuts, or mixed nuts
    snack: tuna again or MRP
    dinner: chicken and veggies
    before bed: shake usually
    that is 2700 cals, 52g fat, 334g carbs, 180 g protein

I still have not made a decision, i am getting uncomfortable with the way i look, yet i want to get bigger, decisions, decisions
    Last edited by senor fusion; 03-13-2005 at 01:50 PM.

It is a tough decision and one I am sure many of us have been through, but really you have to decide one way or another whether you want to lose the fat or continue gaining muscle and give it 100%.

It sounds to me like you should cut, not necessarily for a long time, but until you feel comfortable with bulking again.

I agree with gimp, it is a tough decision.

However, you can probably halt fat gain if you cleaned up your diet. Eat less carbs and more protein. The dietary fat level seems fine to me.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by senor fusion
    heres my diet if it helps any:

bfast: 8 egg whites, oatmeal, glass of oj
    midmorning: Pbj w/ natty pb, an orange
    lunch: tuna on wheat, an apple
    snack: peanuts, or mixed nuts
    snack: tuna again or MRP
    dinner: chicken and veggies
    before bed: shake usually
    that is 2700 cals, 52g fat, 334g carbs, 180 g protein
    I'm looking at that diet and trying to figure out how you're getting 334g of carbs.

Assuming that carb count is accurate, maybe you just need to play around with your macros. Drop the carbs a bit, and up the fat or protein. I can't really imagine someone gaining a ton of fat off 2700 clean calories. I don't really see how you'd "clean that diet up". Maybe dropping the jelly and the meal replacement, but neither of those things should kill you.

Yeah I'm not seeing the 334 worth of carbs there either. I also don't see how you're gaining on that diet. I think that maybe your excess fat gain around your stomach may just be a mental thing. Maybe take a month off of your "bulk" diet and get yourself comfortable with your physical appearance then start bulking again.

I wannabebig!
    yah unless that is a huge glass of oj and a weight gainer type shake with 100g + carbs i dont see where you are getting these calories from.... maybe you are underestimating what you actually eat

Wannabebig Member
    Well that was just a rough sketch i presume of what i eat, those foods/numbers are from fitday which gave me the numbers, so if you want a detailed menu i could give it to you. Yes I dont know how i gained the weight off my smaller amount of calories, but i think it could be from cheating often and late night fast food i used to ocassionally get. I will now give it 110% on my diet and see how things play out.

I wannabebig!
    ya uh the fast food often and not counting that in what you usually eat could be a part of it. Just a wild guess though
    Last edited by ryuage; 03-13-2005 at 07:42 PM.

wow...

Third time is the charm I guess lol, you have already posted the almost exact same diet here like a little under a week ago.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61252

Banned
    yup, cut the fast food and cheating!!! no wonder youre gaining the fat.

Banned
    I eat like 5000 cals roughly a day. No fast food (occasionally some chocolate though....OCCASIONALLY) and i havent gained much fat at all from 174 to 210.

DROP the fast food. nothin makes you fatter than fast food before bed. You should try and keep you're diet clean, allowing for one cheat day a weak where you can eat whatever you want. And to make sure you dont gain fat off your cheat, try eating less the next day and do some cardio to balance it out.

Id recommend that you cut. theres no point getting ridiculously fat and making you dissapointed about your body. You wanna be able to see your hard work goin for somethin. So id suggest cut for a while to your desired fat level then go back to your bulk. As long as you get back to your previous fat level or less with a giain in weight you should be happy. you cant expect to throw on 20 ibs of lean muscle in 5 months.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [[[----]]] View Post
    I eat like 5000 cals roughly a day. No fast food (occasionally some chocolate though....OCCASIONALLY) and i havent gained much fat at all from 174 to 210.

how much fat did your diet contain daily on your bulk?...i am starting a bulk and am wondering what level of fat/carbs should i be at if i want to keep the body fat real low during my bulk? my plan is 3500-3800 cals a day with 260gs of protein, 380 carbs 150fat....
    Now 9/04/2008: 167lbs 5'9.5, 13-14% BF
    Bench: 150
    Squat: 250
    Dead: ???

Goals: 185ish 5-10%BF (By this time next year, or asap)
    Bench: 250
    Squat: 350+
    Dead: ????

Banned
    Dude, you're 173? Stop crying about your belly. If you were 273, I might have a little compassion for you. If you want to gain weight and build muscle, you have to gain fat. If your goal is 200lbs, then don't stop now. One thing that people seem to forget is that everything is going to get bigger when you gain weight. Even your belly. Welcome to the real life of gaining weight.

Keep your eyes on your goal, unless your goal of 200lbs isn't that much of a goal to you. If you want muscle, you gotta gain fat. Sorry guys!

Well I was in a similar boat to you, bulked to 200 lbs exactly... then it kind of sucks to have to do a LONG cut, it is taking me 3-4 months to get this fat off... so maybe you might wanna consider that the longer your bulking cycles go, the longer you will have to take to cut it.... its a personal decision.

EC